Aide Jobs in Jordan

Hello,

I work in New York and I'm trying to change careers and move into humanitarian affairs. It can be a difficult field to break into and several friends who work at the UN suggested I pick up and move to Jordan (as Amman is a major hub for the international response to Syria and Iraq). They felt confident that I could land work at an agency once I was in country (even if I don't speak Arabic).

Just curious if anyone on this page works in the humanitarian affairs sector and if you think this is a good idea. Jordan seems like a very intriguing place and I have some familiarity with the region.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

well, I have some friends who've worked with IRC, MSF, USAID, and yes I am pretty sure you can find urself a job with one of these organizations, the atmosphere in Jordan is very peaceful and friendly, I believe you will enjoy this experience

Welcome on board  :cheers:

Depends what kind of work you are looking for in the humanitarian sector but you need definitely your Arabic, despite what others told you. If you only want to work at the office you get probably away with your English only. But in the field it isn't enough. You can expect that every refugee or others who are in need, speak English. And a " old boys network" will help you a lot.

and I do arabic teaching classes online, so u might find that helpful as well

Yeah, Amman is a safe country and friendly atmosphere, i am sure gonna like it

Am a sociologist and Hiv counsellor too with experience in Field research, surveys and data collection.  Am trying to sketch out Humanitarian jobs in NGOs and parastatals.  I subscribed for job ads alerts but its a hustle. Things aint easy. Would like move to Jordan or qatar next year.
Almost a year and a half in Muscat but my Arabic comprehension is at 2%. I wish someone could just drag me straight to the job.

I live here, have residency, and I've been applying for jobs for a couple of months and haven't found anything. I have a masters degree in business but I don't speak much Arabic and I don't have any NGO experience so it severely limits what you can apply for. When I do apply for something I'm told I'm one of hundreds of applicants. Plus, research what the salaries are in Jordan relative to cost of living, as it could be quite a shock coming from NY.

Kip98 wrote:

I live here, have residency, and I've been applying for jobs for a couple of months and haven't found anything. I have a masters degree in business but I don't speak much Arabic and I don't have any NGO experience so it severely limits what you can apply for. When I do apply for something I'm told I'm one of hundreds of applicants. Plus, research what the salaries are in Jordan relative to cost of living, as it could be quite a shock coming from NY.

Hi do you apply online or the traditional way of door to door?