Looking for foreigner friends in Malaysia

Hi..
I am Malaysian looking for foreigner friends who live in Malaysia.

Me!

Hello & Welcome on board!

For friendship making, a short introduction of your person would be the most appropriate.

In which part of Malaysia you live in?

Regards
Kenjee

Hi, I am an American visiting Malaysia and I would like to meet people. My name is Alex and I will be her for three weeks!
Please, tell more about yourself and what you do?  ..... etc.

Hello.
I am Malaysian living in Foreign country.
That don't count huh?

hi...
yea.. you are welcome too. just make yourself at home.
have a nice day...

Hi! Newbie here.  In which part of Malaysia you live in?

hi...!
I'm in Penang.

Hi dear I'm from Pakistan now living in kl area before I stay in South Korea long time I know Korean language well Im looking Malaysian friend I want share language I'm interesting in Malay language my name is hamad im a simple man im looking malaysian friend too if you like plss contact me

Im from US and stay in BM. Happy to know you.

hey there :) from Sri Lanka :) residing in Penang!

sheilarashid77 wrote:

hi...!
I'm in Penang.

Where do you stay in Penang Sheila? Im in Bukit Mertajam.

i m malaysian but GCC

What is GCC?

Hi I am from India and looking forward for friends in Malaysia  from Kuala Lumpur.

should catch up together

hai!

im a Malaysian and staying at Kuala Lumpur are. Im working at one of private hospital in Kuala Lumpur area. please do not hesitate to inform me if you have anything related to medical things that you want to ask! nice to meet you!

Me here from Yemen

hi there,
anyone from UK or US who lives in Malaysia?

gr8fren wrote:

hi there,
anyone from UK or US who lives in Malaysia?

Im from US, live in Penang.

Hi there,
Nice to meet you .
What are the things you like to do in Malaysia?
Hope you have a nice stay

gr8fren wrote:

Hi there,
Nice to meet you .
What are the things you like to do in Malaysia?
Hope you have a nice stay

Thats a pretty broad question. Im not a sports person but i like being outdoors as much as possible so i like going to mountains, rivers, beach. When I build a house it probably wont have any doors on it. I dont spend any time in malls unless its urgent. I like to cook things at home that Ive come to like in the country. I almost never eat any western food, i prefer to find new foods. What do you like to do? Do you stay in Kuching? Ive been there once.

My ex husband was a British. He didn't like shopping! When he was here in Kuching, he likes Kolo Mee (dried noodle). We used to go to Damai Beach just 40 minutes away from where I live now. But the haze has worsen, even now when i look out from my office window, the haze is thick. I will use my face mask when i go and take my dog for her daily evening walk. My ex used to bake his own bread! I hope you can too?

But I am sure you must have climatise :), my ex used to complain it is HOT here....

I am a home person, my office work is stressful and prefer a quiet environment, watch BBC/CNN news, discovery channel whenever i can.
I hope you build a tree house with no doors!

I am sure you like fried kway tiaw?

Cvco,

Which part of US are u from??

juneAziz wrote:

Cvco,

Which part of US are u from??

Im California, about 70km from Los Angeles.

gr8fren wrote:

My ex husband was a British. He didn't like shopping! When he was here in Kuching, he likes Kolo Mee (dried noodle). We used to go to Damai Beach just 40 minutes away from where I live now. But the haze has worsen, even now when i look out from my office window, the haze is thick. I will use my face mask when i go and take my dog for her daily evening walk. My ex used to bake his own bread! I hope you can too?

But I am sure you must have climatise :), my ex used to complain it is HOT here....

I am a home person, my office work is stressful and prefer a quiet environment, watch BBC/CNN news, discovery channel whenever i can.
I hope you build a tree house with no doors!

I am sure you like fried kway tiaw?

I like shopping, just hate malls. I got mallitis or something. I like to rumage through shops run by the same families for a hundred years.

First thing I ever learned to cook was baked bread. That was a long time ago. I dont bake much here because I cant find ingredients I want but I still at times bake bread rolls, apple turnovers, blueberry pies and not because im western (or even badly want to make them) but because the baked goods around the country truly suck so you have to do it yourself. Baking isnt an asian forte and thats forgiven, its Ok.

Yes I like kway tiaw goreng and also the soup, either way. Kway tiaw and siew pau were always my favorites here but I like all. I can cook at least some dishes of malay, indian and chinese. I make sambal well. Okok, its probably not so good but im grateful that Malaysians have been patient and polite and not spit up or fallen down dead right in front of me. I hope to learn rendang daging one day, thats No.1 for me. If Iban cook differently in longhouses, those dishes I dont know at all, just had no exposure to them. Did Bruno Manser learn to cook? I always wondered that.

I have a house plan but not the land yet, its not like any house we usually see. But yes i love tree houses too, that could be done.

Surprised there is haze there, here we have it because of Indonesian burning, but you? Why?

Hot? The first year or two, westerners will find the tropics oppressive and sweat a lot but you get used to it eventually. Today, anything below 28 im running for sweaters and cant handle the cool and dryness of home at all. That has worked to Malaysians favor, even older people have nice smooth skin because of the hot moisture. After a few days at home in the dry air you can already hear my skin cracking.

Penang beaches are good, so are east coast and islands. I didnt go to any beach in Kuching, no time that time. Are they nice, clean, warm water?

Went to San Francisco last month and went to Google. Saw lots of iconic places and It was really fun to get the opportunity to be there and no longer just watching in the movies.

Wow, i like the spirit for helping ,keep it up, but careful,,  :)

Yeap.
Moderation and caution

juneAziz wrote:

Went to San Francisco last month and went to Google. Saw lots of iconic places and It was really fun to get the opportunity to be there and no longer just watching in the movies.

I lived in San Francisco for univ., great city even though its very small and I have all kinds of stories from there. The birth of a lot of greatness came out of that place. Time and migration have changed it for the worse, newcomers dont have much appreciation for what it once was so instead of being protected its been trampled to pieces.

Selamat lemai, tabi ngagai nuan CVCO,
(good evening and greetings to you CVCO - in Iban)

You don't mind if I ask, are you "orang putih"? If you like sambal, durian, laksa, rojak, cendol & nasi lemak then
you are truly a Malaysian. I am sure you have pick up local languages too. All Malaysians can speak at least 3 languages fluently both verbal and written, just as I do. What about you? For westerners basic greetings are essential, like taking off shoes before entering the house etc..

Iban cooking is easy peasy as Jamie Oliver would say. Here is a recipe for you to try, but you must make open
fire with wood. All you need is a bamboo (prefer large), chopped chicken/pork/fish or whatever meat or fish you like,
marinate the meat/fish with a little salt, pepper,add water, stuffed them into the bamboo and cook till its ready to eat, that's it! Yum!

I like blueberry pie with vanilla icecream. And yes you are right, bread making is definitely not our forte partly due to its not our main diet. I am sure you eat bread sandwich with rice?

I love Siew Pau and Dim sum, my ex being orang putih doesn't. Do you know it is good manners here if your burp? It shows that the food was delicious! strange but true.

Daging Rendang (I don't eat beef) is easy to cook too. But you must know how to prepare the beef otherwise it is too chewy. All you need are red shallots, garlic, ginger , lemon grass(blend together) and marinate with beef with curry for 20 minutes.
Prepare oil in a wok, when its hot, add the marinated beef, cook them under high heat, when the beef is slightly cook, add some water, coconut milk , cover and simmer under low heat for 45 minutes (with pressure cooker), Then you add turmeric leave , to give it a kick. And there you go! oh add salt to your liking...

I do return and visit my longhouse during Gawai every 1st June, rice festival, sadly I have not in the pass 4 years or so.
My longhouse is about 25 doors long and is situated by a river (full of monster crocs! serious, no joke). Many incidents of crocs attacks in the area, no survivor.

Haze? slash and burn is a practice in this part of the world since the dawn of time. Environmentalist wants to stop it. I won't see that happen in my lifetime. Our neighbour is Kalimantan (Indonesia). That is where 70% of the smoke is from!

What kills the westerner here is the humidity, squeezing out all the body fluids...

Bruno Manser was a Hero for the Penan tribe. The penans are like the amazon lost indian tribe, similar in many ways.Bruno disappeared and his body was never found. The swak govt was after him. He married a Penan and lived in amongst them. He was orang putih and he had a purpose, I hope he fulfilled his purpose. I am sure he could even hunt wild pigs, killed it , cooked it, ate it. The penans are caught up in the middle of civilization just like the orang utans losing their habitat to the loggers, oil palm industries, hydro dams. They are diminishing slowly from the face of this planet. I met the penans in their settlements in Mulu many years ago. I like to go and travel and visit those places again when I retire and while I still can.

Sadly, the beaches in Kuching are muddy . they are like "teh tarik". Do you like "teh tarik". I like mine , kurang manis.
If you bring your family, kids here, they would love the orang utans and the crocodile farm.

gr8fren,

Well im Greek which is caucasian but not orang putih in the blond hair, blue eyed sense.

I like everything except durian. Malaysia is 50/50 on durian and im the other 50.

Yes its impressive that Malaysians speak several languages, the one thing the British did well here.

Who ever heard of a rice sandwich? They dont do that, do they?

Yes they have bamboo cooking around here during ramadan. Strange though, the fires are blazing but the cooks are nowhere to be seen. Thats why I havent had any. Strange.

Daging is probably the No.1 thing westerners like to eat and I havent given that up. That said, its become so expensive i dont have it often anymore.

Yes, slash and burn. Each season the governments fight but it never stops.

I knew about Bruno Manser from long ago and its a good idea for newcomers to read about him. I was once given a book about him, I understand the problems.

Sure I like teh tarik kurang manis, but kurang manis (less sugar) seems to be ignored so its still almost too sweet. I like it but would rather have plain chinese tea. Ive never gotten used to too much sugar, salt and oil here, drives me crazy. The basic difference in east-west cooking is that east uses spices and west uses herbs. If I cook something with herbs for someone it may be the first time they've had it. I like both. Thanks for the recipes but that doesnt mean the dishes come out fine. Lots of time and practice and experimenting!

Singapore beaches are muddy too, I dont know why. In Penang its sand all the way.

Nope, no kids. I came alone to Malaysia. Parents and siblings are in US.

Your longhouse sounds anything but boring!

Westerners can NEVER come to terms with Durian. It is a fact. Even Andrew Zimmern (food bizarre) said it smells of open drain! Anthony Bourdain tasted it, he did not seem to mind the smell. Anyway, it is an acquired taste. You need to learn to appreciate durian at early age.. haha (like Msians do). Give it some time, you might fall in love with durian and couldn't resist it.

Just wonder if you resemble Alexis Tsipras? I admire him for handling the greece economy crisis, i can't imagine the same happening here in Msia.

On language you speak BM?Mandarin?Indian? a word or two maybe?

Have you ever tried japanese rice burger? I have tried it when i was at KLCC, KL.

For health issues, it is better to eat more veg than meat. Eating veg improves quality of our life. Local produce should not be expensive, it is a different scenario here. Nevermind the dairy products. Msians rarely drink fresh milk everyday, unlike ppl in India or europe or usa etc. Butter costs RM9.00 incl gst?

Longhouse boring? It is not exactly a castle marooned on an island is it? or would that make it more interesting? Every Msian have our kampongs, do you have one? Where is your kampong?

We probably have the same book written on Bruno. Also interesting would be the biography of the White Rajahs (1841-1868) who ruled sarawak before the japanese/british. But the british arrived much earlier to conquer Penang in 1786, founded by Francis Light.

Tea,coffee, milo are always added with condensed milk and top up with more white sugar! Thats the cause of high diabetics rate amongst Msian. So please, kurangkan makan gula. When at the Kopitiam, there are all sorts of names to order your drinks, e.g kopi see kosong, kopi O kau, Kopi O Pok, Kopi, .. are they like that in Penang?

Just wonder if you are already a Msian PR? Or you need to renew your visa once a year for RM100.00?

Ive known many westerners who liked durian, and also many Malaysians who hated it. I had it once . At a party. I fainted and fell on the floor and everyone was laughing at me. Its not that I cant take a joke but that was humiliating actually.

Im sure I dont look like him and im not convinced he has done a good job despite some good words at times. But what can he do anyway? The situation is controlled by the evil Goldman Sachs and this cannot be solved until the Greeks arrest and jail G-S, leave the eurozone and re-issue the Greek currency which is already printed and sitting in warehouses. If he does all that, ok then hooray.

I didnt mean your longhouse was boring, I said the opposite. I wouldnt enjoy being dinner for a crocodile but a few waddling their way through the house would be exciting.

I read that diabetes is the highest in asia among ailments. I was in a hospital for some tests and asked why the carparks are so jammed. My doctor said that 70% of the problems can be stopped if people would just change their lifestyle--exercise, sugar, salt, oil, smoking, the common things written about everyday. Yet, whats offered in the hospital canteen? Sugar, salt and oil, less veg. Go figure. Malaysians like to laugh at western fat people. But now Malaysians are eating the very diet that brought obesity to US, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut...........who is laughing now?

No, I cannot be PR ever, thats reserved for political people and bribery and special circumstances im not likely to ever fall into. Ive had workpasses all along. However, im not renewing anymore because I have a plan to migrate. Im not sure why Malaysians think PR is automatic and simple. Even Polis dont understand the process or what this is all about. One can get a longer pass through marriage but thats highly problematic and can be snatched away in an instant. The Second Home program also gives a longer pass but I dont fall into that category. The outlook for 99% of expats is that they will be forced to leave at some point under one circumstance or another. A few who want to stay find the ways but most do not. Its the way xenophobia works. Eventually, my opinion, everyone except Malay-Muslim will be pushed out and the whole thing about foreigners, even tourism, will be much more tightly controlled. Most always, my Malay-Muslim friends (nobody else) say that 100% of the social and economic and political problems can be traced to the fact there is no purity here; with racial and religious purity, especially religious, everything can be restored to perfection and happiness, and all forms and types of foreigners are both holding back the country's progress and creating environments for young people to grow up in sinful and degenerate lives. Malaysia aint US. Or UK. Or France. I wish I could say talk like that was limited to a few fundamentalists but i've heard it from too many different quarters over time to say its limited or even not true at all. Where does that leave the average expat? One foot in and the other foot always packing up the house. Now, what did you want to ask me about PR?

I only speak English here. There are some reasons for that but yes only English.

My book is Bruno Manser The Inside Story, by James Richie, loaned to me by an Iban friend. I also have Sarawak 1839-1968, by Joan Rawlins.  It behooves newcomers to learn the countrys history. Personally ive enjoyed all my readings and read much for a year before my first trip. I think history is why I like to engage old people, especially old Indians, they have the best stories, unlike young people who seem to know so little.

Yes, I have two kampungs, in Greece. I was last there a few years ago. But most US people dont really know where they are from, many are mixed and if they have a kampung they would have to research their families over several different countries.

Do you know where the best blowpipes can be found?

you fainted? seriously? hahaha.. poor orang putih.. it was too much for you? aww sorry to hear that.
To be honest, i have stopped eating durians for nearly 20 years now. It is actually bad for our health.
(Believe it or not).

Greece, in my opinion should stay in EU and maintain using Euro. It is same case with Scotland referendum.

THe crocs are fun to be with , only when you are Steve Irwin! WHoooo, that was his fav word! The chinese eat
croc meat as medicine. I heard it tastes like chicken meat. Nothing strange, cajun eat aligator meat.

May I ask, what was your result? good or bad? It is true,Obesity among Msians is increasing every year. I am 4'11', my weight is hoovering at 63 kg.. would you say that is fat?
The Americans are very BIG size. Sorry, but it is true. The food portion there is huge and deep fried. Life is good there. We should emulate the Japanese & Korean diet, we can live up to a 100 years.

I agree with you absolutely with the PR status. My ex knew he will never get it in his lifetime. After 10 years here, he decided time to leave for England. He left in Jan this year. I am happy for him.
Where are you planing to migrate to next? New Zealand? I wish you the best of everything.

Blowpipes? I must say, I haven't seen one for sale in Kuching! Maybe in Miri. They are not easy to use, you need to blow in air with the force from your lungs to push out the poison needle to your target? No thanks.

The API in my area is 167!!! Weekend is near, what are your plans?

gr8fren and cvco, enjoy reading your chats here. Kamek orang Sarawak juak, Mix parentage of Melanau-Malay & Sino-Kadazan. My daughter is half Nigerian. A colorful family, we have...well Sarawakians are Sarawakians...there is every tribe in us. Proud of it!

I think you can get commercially made blow-pipes along the souvenir shops opposite the riverside, if I am not mistaken! Cheers!

Hi there TroyV,

cvco is hilarious, dont you think? All for fun, we are harmless. right CVCO?
I am sure your hubby being a foreigner faces some immigration challenges here, its ok,
I understand, been through it for 10 years with my ex.

gr8fren, Lucky for me, my ex (also!) never bothered me with his visa matters and solved it on his own for the 12years we were together. Have a great day Ladies!

TroyV, that is good to know. Life must go on.

Hi all,

it seems foreigners being married to locals have a difficult time with visa's here.
I'm in for a treat than  :)