Getting my dog to Malta.

Hi everyone,
        I am looking for a bit of help. My partner and I are moving to Malta and we are bringing our dog. I was wondering how you do this without using a pet relocation company as that will cost £1200 and that would be a good chunk of our savings gone. He has had his jabs and got his passport everything is in place to make him eligible to fly.
It is the getting him there that is the issue. Can we just buy a cage/crate and arrange it with the airline? If so does anyone know roughly how much this would cost?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/malta.cfmhttp://www.airmalta.com/information/cus … -with-pets

you can take fly them over but it depends on the airline
you will need to check out the information in those links

the other option is you can drive them over yourself

however i would strongly advise against taking your pet like this
youtu.be/J_8mdH20qTQ

Thanks for the reply very helpful.   :)

youtu.be/J_8mdH20qTQ

I have to say I haven't seen this as a recommendation. Might be some questions from customs when we land in the airport though.

Bottom line is you fly them or drive them. I drove down and all my costs, petrol, accommodation, tolls, ferries etc were a lot less than £1200.

I'm not sure which airlines do flights that take them but its not cheap. More for them to fly than for you thats for sure. I believe it also costs more if they fly unaccompanied

So you need to look at whethr you will fly with the dog, whether you would consider driving etc

We're travelling down by train and ferry through France and Italy. I haven't booked it all, but it's looking like it will cost roughly £700 for two adults, a child and the pooch (not including accomodation). We're going to make an adventure of it, plus it should be less stressful for the dog.

Thanks for the reply's. I have it priced up with AirMalta at £320 which is much better than the company rates. The train would be a good idea though just priced it up and it only works out around £80 more than flights for the 3 of us and we get to spend a night in France and Italy. Decisions...

For what its worth I think the dog might be happier by train ;-)

Also trains are more comfortable and you'll get some great views

If you do the train/ferry route then make sure you check whether the carrier allows dogs and in what form (e.g. Eurostar doesn't allow dogs, some ferry companies only allow dogs in a car, etc.)

One route is to get the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry which allows dogs if in a crate, then you can get a direct train to Paris. There is then a direct train from Paris to Milan, then to Rome where you can get a train that goes onto a ferry and drops you off in Sicily!

Finally, you get the ferry from Pozzallo which is either fairly reasonable out of season, or double the price in the summer (July/August).

As we're travelling in August we're trying to plan a coastal route in order to avoid the sweltering big cities, but we haven't worked that out yet.

The ferry from Sicily does not allow dogs except when traveling by car.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

The ferry from Sicily does not allow dogs except when traveling by car.

Terry

May I travel with my pet?
Yes one may travel with pets on board the ferry. Passengers must ensure that pets have a valid pet passport together with all the necessary vaccinations. Pets must be kept inside the car or in a cage inside the garage of the vessel. Pets are not allowed in the passenger salons. For further inquiries regarding pet travel to Malta, kindly contact ‘Freeport Border Inspection Post' on mob. +356 9917 0532 Tel: + 356 21 650393 Email: [email protected] at booking stage. For further inquiries regarding pet travel to Pozzallo, kindly contact ‘Ufficio Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Ragusa.' Telefono: 0039.0932.234958 Fax: 0039.0932.234950 Email: [email protected]
this suggests that you dont need a car to take your pet ... i would advise ringing to be sure

http://www.virtuferries.com/wp-content/ … eaflet.pdf

apparently its 12 euros to take a dog in a cage and not in your car

That's what I read on their website too, but now I think I better double check before turning up as we'll be on foot. I could disguise him as a ugly baby of course.

Pig Ear wrote:

That's what I read on their website too, but now I think I better double check before turning up as we'll be on foot. I could disguise him as a ugly baby of course.

We travel regularly with our dog, never seen any cages or dogs not in cars!

Terry

This does actually worry me a bit, as we're going to be travelling in August and I'm worried that even if he can travel in a cage in the garage that a) the garage may be too hot, and b) it may be pretty stressful if there isn't an allocated quiet area.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this?

You realy need to phone them and check but if the cages are on the car deck, then it will be noisey.
There is a good flow of air when at sea as the front of the car deck is open.
We only have taken our dog in the car and she is fine, just sleeps during the crossing.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I'll give them a call.

The dog is getting far more attention than the rest of the family :)

I just received a response form the ferry company which has put my mind at ease:

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that the procedure has been changed recently. Pets in cages (provided by clients) are kept in a secluded area on board the ferry allocated only for pets. The area is fully air-conditioned just like the salon area. In order to access this area (to check on your pet) you would need to advise the cabin crew, however you will not be allowed to stay with your pet throughout the whole voyage.

Pig Ear wrote:

I just received a response form the ferry company which has put my mind at ease:

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that the procedure has been changed recently. Pets in cages (provided by clients) are kept in a secluded area on board the ferry allocated only for pets. The area is fully air-conditioned just like the salon area. In order to access this area (to check on your pet) you would need to advise the cabin crew, however you will not be allowed to stay with your pet throughout the whole voyage.

Thats great to know, don't forget to pre advise Malta of your dogs arrival date/time.
The vet will be waiting by the vehicle ramp.
Terry

Im going hopefully to live in Gozo next year and cheaper to drive with dog and if your car has been registered to you for over 2 yrs you pay no import tax.

We brought our Labrador over in February. It was complicated but perfectly do able. We flew from Gatwick with Thompson. The only other airline from gatwick is Air Malta but the only fly on specific days so you have to check their flight schedule. I found Thompson cargo extremely helpful.
You have to ensure the crate is big enough as there are strict guidelines which we followed and still the ground crew nearly didn't allow our dog to board !
You also must inform the veterinary and phytosanitary regulation department by completing a 'pre notification form for arrival or transit of live animals'

When are you planning on traveling? As time to organise everything is the key to a successful transit.

Also be aware that if you land after 6pm then their is an extra charge to release your dog.

Please feel free to personal message me with any questions and I will try to help where I can

terrapin68 wrote:

We brought our Labrador over in February. It was complicated but perfectly do able. We flew from Gatwick with Thompson. The only other airline from gatwick is Air Malta but the only fly on specific days so you have to check their flight schedule. I found Thompson cargo extremely helpful.
You have to ensure the crate is big enough as there are strict guidelines which we followed and still the ground crew nearly didn't allow our dog to board !
You also must inform the veterinary and phytosanitary regulation department by completing a 'pre notification form for arrival or transit of live animals'

When are you planning on traveling? As time to organise everything is the key to a successful transit.

Also be aware that if you land after 6pm then their is an extra charge to release your dog.

Please feel free to personal message me with any questions and I will try to help where I can

If you are replying to expressoman 1966 then he is planning to drive over not fly.
The only thing he needs to do is make sure the pet passport is up to date and pre notify Malta animal health.

Terry

terrapin68 wrote:

Both British Airways and EasyJet fly direct to Malta from Gatwick.

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
terrapin68 wrote:

Both British Airways and EasyJet fly direct to Malta from Gatwick.

Ray

they do but they dont nesscarily take pets -
EasyJet terms

Article 21 Carriage of Live Animals
The carriage of live animals, including pets, insects, reptiles, or any other form of livestock is forbidden anywhere on the aircraft, either in the aircraft cabin or hold, under any circumstances, with the exception of the carriage of Guide Dogs or Assistance Dogs (see Article 10 (Passengers with Specific Requirements – Disability, Medical and Health).

Hi we are planing to fly air malta from manchester in December 2adults 2dogs driving down to manchester from newcastle have you any idea of the price for the dogs only small dogs thanks for any help  cheers

Hello

If you are flying from Manchester, try these people as they appear to be the best from reviews. This is who we are thinking of using for our rabbit and they even gave me the email address for the relevant department in Malta.

Manchester: [email protected]
Malta: [email protected]

Cheers

Hi thanks for that  cheers