Maximum amount in Ringgit can carry to Malayisa

Hello,

Somewhere in internet I have read that we can carry maximum RM 1000 as cash to Malaysia.

Is this correct?
Is this amount include cash amount equivalent to ringgit from my original country and amount in ringgit sum up or just RM1000 and any other amount from my own country.

The Bank Negara rules:

Allowed to carry into and out of the country any amount not exceeding RM1,000 per person and also foreign currency not exceeding the equivalent of RM10,000 per person. There are plenty of moneychangers here.

Those who are carrying in excess of these - when entering or leaving the country - are required to obtain permission from the Controller of Foreign Exchange and declare in the Traveller's Declaration Form the exact amount of Ringgit carried. Approval is usually given within one day of application.

If you bank with a provider that has a branch in Malaysia, you can ask them in India to open a local Malaysian currency account before you arrive and transfer into it. No debit/credit card possible. You can draw down cash at the teller against that account. i.e. make sure it is close to your office as well. It is basically operated as an offshore account which you can then replace with an onshore account when you have your work permit (needed to open an account).