Cabarete Research Trip this summer

Hello All,

My wife and I are planning a trip this summer to do some research in the Sosua/Cabarete area. Although we visit the DR twice a year, this will be the first of many trips to various locations around the Domincan as we decide if this is where we want to settle and look for the place we may want to make home. We were wondering where we might stay that would allow us to get the best feel for what living in area would be like versus being a tourist. What would you recommend we do while in the area to get the most out of our trip?

Any advice you would share would be really appreciated :)

First off welcome.
How long are you staying for?
I would definitely rent a condo or small villa and do some exploring of the area. There is lots to see and experience.  The Sosua/Cabarete area has large expat community and is a good mix of locals, Expats and tourists. My wife and I settled here (Cabarete/Sosua area)  full time over 9 years ago and have not looked back for a second.  Having said that do understand that the DR is not for everyone so you do need to come and explore your options before making any huge leap.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums, you have a great attitude about this.  Check out the various options and then do what works for you. I am on the south coast in La Romana,  when you get to this part of the country, let me know.....

Thanks for the response Bob. We are in no hurry so will make sure we do our due diligence before making any decisions.We are planning 2 weeks this trip. We are looking for a mix of locals and expats which is one of the things that attracted us to the area. Can't be to hasty we need a LOT more time to work on our Spanish😊

Thanks for the response Planner. La Romana will be our next trip. That was also an area we found interesting. Will definitely let you know when we get those plans together. We are going to retire early and slow down the crazy pace we operate at. We figure that it's better to enjoy each other now because who knows what tomorrow brings. Hopefully we will meet someday!

I would recommend that rather than staynig n a hotle that yourent a condo or villa in Sosua or Cabarete. You  might look on trip advisor under Sosua or Cabarete Dominican Reputlic and then on the tab vacation rentals. Here you will find numerous rentals.  There is also a local paper la PLaya that has a rental sectioin (geared more to Expats and non tourist folks).   I don't have the link for either on hand right now as we are in Santo Domingo with some friends from the states.  However I will be home late today and will post those two links for you.

Bob K

Thanks Bob I appreciate the help :)