What are your thoughs about the Dominican concordat

Promoted and introduced by Dictator Trujillo , through the 1954 concordat the Church obtained control over marriage and religious instruction. With the signing of the concordat great benefits were granted to the Catholic Church like access to public funds and exemption from import duties. It allowed the creation of dioceses, and bishoprics were established in Santiago and the Vega. Until then there had been only one hierarchy in the country which was the Archbishopric of Santo Domingo. Religious instruction was also established in public schools. Religious marriage was made official and divorce was prohibited between those who had been married by the Church. Other religions were at a disadvantage compared with the Catholic.

I dont understand what you are even asking. This was done years ago and is fact. its not up for discussion so I have no idea what you want here.

Hello Planner :)

I can explain it if you are really willing to learn about it. Anyone interested can have a look at it.

With the Dominican concordat Trujillo gave special concessions to the Church as President of the Dominican Republic with retroactivity to 1930, and will be in effect indefinitely for subsequent governments.

It's  Article XIII alone would be unconstitutional in any modern nation. In 2012 this "constitutional" clause delayed the treatment of a pregnant 16-year old who was dying of acute leukemia. She needed chemotherapy, but the doctors were afraid to give it, in case this caused a miscarriage. Women's and human rights groups protested and the girl's mother pleaded for her life, yet the doctors only dared to begin treatment after a 20-days' delay when the Minister of Health finally stepped in. But by then it was too late.

A back-room deal between two politicians made the Dominican Republic the first country to enshrine  three current Vatican policies in its new Constitution. One amendment is expected to increase dangerous back-alley abortions and unwanted births in a poor country where more than a third can't afford enough to eat. But for the Catholic Church it marked a milestone in its programme to promote reproduction at all costs. 

Many Dominican intellectuals categorize the concordat as unconstitutional, implemented under a former military dictatorship, and it's a real impediment for the social progress of the country.

So what?  What is the point? I am missing it entirely.  This is not our country and we have no say so I guess I am asking what your point is?

Do you think it's pointless then. I respect your lack of interest Planner. You are not obliged to answer every single question posted in the forum I suppose. No one is competing with you.

We certainly don't have to agree on everything, neither find interesting every single question or topic posted in the forum as every individual has different interest and that's very authentic.   

This is actually what makes more rich and interesting a forum, "diversity of thought".

Have a wonderful day Planner!  :)

Well I tried,  I really tried to understand what the point was.

Ok, carry on.............