Pros & Cons

Hello everyone,

Everything has pros and cons, be it product or places or food etc. Nothing is perfect.

I noticed there are foreigners retired and foreigners working in Thailand gave very negative comments such as wine are expensive, terrible traffic etc

You need to know the reasons behind it before you jump to conclusion. There is import duties thus prices goes up. Likewise your country has import duties too unless Singapore and Hong Kong as no import duties.

Only yesterday, a 21 years white guy went to a church in USA and shot 9 Afro Americans dead just because they are black. These 9 guys went for bible study in church.

I was in Europe and a car passed by me. They shouted, "go home yellow skin."

Do this happen in Thailand?

Please enjoy Thailand since you are here. I'm a foreigner too just like any of you, foreigners.

I had travelled to 60 different cities in 16 different countries yet I got cheated too.

I told myself, fine, I'm stupid thus got cheated. I learned and be smarter now. If I got cheated again the 2nd time, I tell myself that I'm the biggest fool as the person is smarter than me.

Now if I'm cheated the 3rd time then I will clench my fist and knock my head hard because twice and I never learned yet can be cheated the 3rd time.

All of us make mistakes and we must learn from mistakes. So don't blame others but yourself.

Be happy and stress free as you will have a wonderful and rainbow life.

Others can be dark and cloudy, don't let it affect you.

Rejoice, That was worth reading, I have been very Nagative about Thailand & but I have been reading your wisdom, and thinking that it is time for me to enjoy this country the best that I can, and not waste my energy spreading  all the bad things about Thailand and let people decide for themselves.  What will work for them.

Good points!

thailand4me wrote:

Rejoice, That was worth reading, I have been very Nagative about Thailand & but I have been reading your wisdom, and thinking that it is time for me to enjoy this country the best that I can, and not waste my energy spreading  all the bad things about Thailand and let people decide for themselves.  What will work for them.

Patrick, there're much to enjoy Thailand and it's a land of opportunities if you look outside the box.

Many people (foreigners and thais) are like a frog inside the well and think it's the whole world. It has not seen rivers; waterfalls; sea; lakes etc

If you need tips; directions or ideas, give me a shout and we can learn together. Both of us can be wiser or both of us could be fools by being con hahaha

At least you are not alone as there is someone else too.

You have lots of free time since you are retired. Try to have something to do such as charity work or taking care of grand child or pets. Perhaps do something you always want to do but don't have the chance. Of course legal and healthy. I'm not suggesting try drugs or strip naked to walk haha

Enjoy your weekend and be happy plus stay healthy too.

Patrick, you're from San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf and Las Vegas is not too far. You are actually in the best of both worlds. You're living in Thailand and close to the other Asian countries. Be a "bridge" between the 2 countries so as to make extra cash or pocket change. Life wouldn't be so boring for you. Unless you are very happy with your present lifestyle and don't do anything.

Rejoice, Thanks for your kind words & advice. I may ask you for advice in the future. I have been volunteering to help young children that are poor, and i belong to the Soi Dog Foundation. I am also in the process of trying to figure a way for the poor people of Thailand to be able to get school uniforms for there children without having to pay for them thereselfs. It is difficult for me to figure out the correct business way to make a non-profit organisation, it is hard for me because of the language skills that I don't have. But I do have some good connections to start with. Thanks, Patrick

Hello,
I want to reply to your message because I am foreigner from France, come many times to Thailand and I am very happy there. Throughout the years I only have the good experience because Thai people very kind to me, lot of respect for older person and make jokes, so everybody laughing! Nobody ever cheat me and I make business, on the contrary very easy in Thailand because people honest try to give the good service.
If the visitor only goes to places like Khaosan Road or Pattaya he cannot get the good impression, but unfortunately some foreigner behave very badly and use bad words, they do not realise this is very offensive for Thai people. The problems come from misunderstandings due to the language difficulty or the person gets drunk or goes with bar girl.
I say learn to speak a little Thai and go to some place in Thailand where there are no falang and nobody speaks English, then I guarantee the good experience!
I tell my friends they are more safe in Bangkok than any French city!
I am sorry you had problem in Western country people speak badly to you. I can tell you that in France people from South-east Asia and China are generally highly considered because their children have the top notes in the French schools!
Yours sincerely,
Tony

I was under the impression that french people loved there country, I know the big cites are not very kind to foreigners that are visiting from other countries, but I have been in many small villages & they have been very kind, even if we can only speak a little french. But you are right as compared to Thailand the Thai's are much more friendly, and unless your a drunk & have to sleep with someone different every night I do not know why anyone would want to live in Pattaya. But if you live in parts of Thailand where there are few Expats you will be treated much better. We are living in Nonthburi, I am American my wife is Thai, we bought a condo in a nice middle class neighbourhood, where we can walk to dinner. We have only been here 2 years, and people are very kind to us. I only speak basic Thai, but can shop on my own, people have gotton use to me in the stores & restaurants and they are happy to help. In my country not so much. Sometimes people stare at me, but only because they don't see white people often or ever. The only problems that I have is these scooters that think they can run down people on the walk ways, crossing the streets, on the bicycle paths. They all believe that they are obove the law, and they are because no one obeys the laws. I have had 2 accidents with them, one slide under my car cause he was going so fast he couldn't stop, the other ran me off the walking path, but this one I kick his bike as hard as I could and it went down with him jumping off. He was surprised & mad, but in so many words from me & a angry face, he decided to get on his bike & leave. Am am 62 years old, but grew up with martial arts training so I might be able to hold my own.  But I like to walk in the mornings next to the canal & am thinking it would be better to carry a baseball bat. Other than this, I have no other complaints that I would want to share. Patrick

Rejoice, What do you mean, you want us to import goods to Thailand from the US?  Patrick

thailand4me wrote:

Rejoice, Thanks for your kind words & advice. I may ask you for advice in the future. I have been volunteering to help young children that are poor, and i belong to the Soi Dog Foundation. I am also in the process of trying to figure a way for the poor people of Thailand to be able to get school uniforms for there children without having to pay for them thereselfs. It is difficult for me to figure out the correct business way to make a
non-profit organisation, it is hard for me
because of the language skills that I
don't have. But I do have some good
connections to start with. Thanks,
Patrick

Great Patrick.
Stretch your right hand out to the front and parallel to the ground. Have you done it?
Now bend your elbow.
Give a pat on your back for job well done to the unfortunate.
It's best to check with various chamber of commerce; foreign social clubs; embassies and churches that caters to foreigners first.
There might be non profit organization or people helping the Thais. Thus it will not be double organization.
I know a church whereby the pastor and his wife load up the back of the van. Drove from Bangkok to north east with blankets; school shoes; stationary; clothes etc. Foreign church members donate the money. An American lives in the garbage slump with the kids there and a church is providing the funds. There are foreign ladies who has a beauty salon and try to teach the trade to those bar girls so as they quit their job or get them work in factories etc.
There are many organization helping the Thais even foreigners live with them in the north and north east. They help them to build homes, water pipelines etc. Overseas churches members come over here to help too. Please check first instead of double donations or work.
GOD bless you.

TonyST wrote:

Hello,
I want to reply to your message because I am foreigner from France, come many times to Thailand and I am very happy there. Throughout the years I only have the good experience because Thai people very kind to me, lot of respect for older person and make jokes, so everybody laughing! Nobody ever cheat me and I make business, on the contrary very easy in Thailand because people honest try to give the good
service.
If the visitor only goes to places like
Khaosan Road or Pattaya he cannot get
the good impression, but unfortunately
some foreigner behave very badly and
use bad words, they do not realise this
is very offensive for Thai people. The
problems come from misunderstandings
due to the language difficulty or the
person gets drunk or goes with bar girl.
I say learn to speak a little Thai and go
to some place in Thailand where there
are no falang and nobody speaks
English, then I guarantee the good
experience!
I tell my friends they are more safe in
Bangkok than any French city!
I am sorry you had problem in Western
country people speak badly to you. I can
tell you that in France people from
South-east Asia and China are generally
highly considered because their children
have the top notes in the French
schools!
Yours sincerely,
Tony

Bonjour Tony,
Merci for your sharing.
Good that you met good Thais as no country is perfect. I'm happy for you and don't wish to comment the negative of France. I always believe if the person or place or anything wants to be negative, I let it be as useless to let it affect my joyful life.
I'm a person who accepts suggestions: complanits; ideas etc as that makes me better. It's better to know the truth then having lies all my life.
What work you are doing in Thailand?
Cheers

thailand4me wrote:

I was under the impression that french people loved there country, I know the big cites are not very kind to foreigners that are visiting from other countries, but I have been in many small villages & they have been very kind, even if we can only speak a little french. But you are right as compared to Thailand the Thai's are much more friendly, and unless your a drunk & have to sleep with someone different every night I do not
know why anyone would want to live in
Pattaya. But if you live in parts of
Thailand where there are few Expats
you will be treated much better. We are
living in Nonthburi, I am American my
wife is Thai, we bought a condo in a
nice middle class neighbourhood, where
we can walk to dinner. We have only
been here 2 years, and people are very
kind to us. I only speak basic Thai, but
can shop on my own, people have
gotton use to me in the stores &
restaurants and they are happy to help.
In my country not so much. Sometimes
people stare at me, but only because
they don't see white people often or
ever. The only problems that I have is
these scooters that think they can run
down people on the walk ways, crossing
the streets, on the bicycle paths. They
all believe that they are obove the law,M and they are because no one
obeys the laws. I have had 2 accidents mwith them, one slide under my car mcause he was going so fast he couldn't
stop, the other ran me off the walking mpath, but this one I kick his bike as
hard as I could and it went down with
him jumping off. He was surprised
& mad, but in so many words from mme & a angry face, he decided to mget on his bike & leave. Am am m62 years old, but grew up with martial marts training so I might be able to hold mmy own.  But I like to walk in the
mornings next to the canal & am
thinking it would be better to carry a
baseball bat. Other than this, I have no mother complaints that I would want to mshare. Patrick

Hi Patrick
French have changed a lot compared to more than 30 years ago. French refuse to speak English even they know how to speak while they are in France. But the Experienced Asians have their way with them hehe so as to make them speak English.
I'm sure many don't know that Frence invented the fast magnetic trains; world biggest wine fair is in France; French fashion; French pastries and others. I learned there's a specialized French company that makes precise filtration products for blood.  France has her pros and cons too likewise for other countries too.

thailand4me wrote:

Rejoice, What do you mean, you want us to import goods to Thailand from the US?  Patrick

Patrick I'm suggesting you as a bridge between Thailand and USA. Export goods made here to USA. As you are from San Franscio and near Nevada too, land of opportunities.
Don't expect much and like do as hobby to enjoy your retirement. If you can make US$ 1,000.00 a month then it's 33,000.00 Thai Baht. That you can enjoy steak in JW Marriot Hotel once a month with your wife and even help charity. Look outside the box and where are your strengths and advantages.
PM me with your email address and could fill you in more details.

Hello Rejoice,
In reply to your question I have a small business in France, work very hard 8 months, then spend 4 months in Thailand and some time in India and Indonesia for business. If I could find a satisfactory solution to earn money in Thailand I would do it, but people I know (some expats that like Thailand and speak some Thai) have the problem that the Thai person has 51% and the falang 49% and this easily leads to some sort of difficult situation for the business.
The negative in France, I meet every day, but this is common to all Western societies due to breakdown of family and religion, you gave example in America where this is the worst.
What impresses me in Bangkok is seeing very smart Thai ladies with high heels and dressed for office, stop in front of Buddha statue and make reverence. In spite of being very developed country they have maintained traditions that have disappeared elsewhere and the reflection is in the person's attitude to others to be concerned with their welfare, whereas in Western countries people only care for themselves.
I liked your comments!
Best regards,
Tony

thailand4me wrote:

and unless your a drunk & have to sleep with someone different every night I do not know why anyone would want to live in Pattaya.

Some expats live in Pattaya because of the job, me and my husband for example. Not all the foreigners who reside in in Pattaya are drunk sexpats and whores. Personally I dont like Pattaya, but there are normal people there are, too.

Nice to know.

Hey complaining is fun and everyone's god given right. (PS I don't believe in god) There is a lot to complain about in Thailand and it is especially annoying because those things we complain about are often foolishness that need not be.

Thailand is a great place but foolishness abounds ! (Cons) The people on the street walk arround like lost cattle and 40% of them have their noses buried in a smart phone. There are so many absolute basics you can not buy in a supermarket, like, good bread, a fresh egg, a real sausage, diet food (other than Pepsi Max) and so much more.
The noise !  Its a big city so its going to be noisy but motorcycles without mufflers, idiot guards with whistles, 3-4 different piped music in the same areas of a shopping enter, unnecessary. The dirty streets, uneven footpaths, pig ignorant and unhelpful public servants, poor quality and antiquated building design and construction, wasted potential AND SO MANY MORE CONS.

But the Pros are abundant too. Its just that they are secret and less fun to talk about.

For me, Many of other people "negative" comment about Thailand, is part of why i am here.
I love it !!!
I really like it is NOT so sterile like back home, i love it !!!

I can get every thing I need here, so that no problem at all.
A few time a year i like to eat rye bread (Dark Bread) like we make it back home.

Easy !!!

I make it my self.

If i am to lazy, I order it from one of the Danish baker in Thailand, Transfer the money from a ATM, Go to my bus station (mo chit) on the date i be told, wait for the bus to come in, pay the bus driver 100 baht, get my package with bread and other stuff.
The bread is still warm.  ;)

The fresh egg, vegetables i buy at my local marked, taste so much better then what i can buy in  Big C. Tesco and so on, And cheaper.
Or from the back of a car on the street.

I personal hope Thailand take a long time before change to much, i love Thailand and Thai the way they are right now.

Kindly.

Hi tony you talk very good sence as I know your from  moon cafe and the malaysia hotel am not surprised see you in December

I was a soldier here during the U.S. Viet Nam era. That was, is, when I 1st fell in love with this country. I was stationed in camp Vayama, then moved to camp Samisan, on the edge of Sattahip. I can remember Pattaya as a beautiful 2.5 mile long beach with a little Thai village at the south end. There was a big tree in the middle of the road just as the beach road went into that little village. We GI's called it the Honda tree, after all the GI's that would rent a motorcycle and end up crashing into it. I came back in 1978 for a few months vacation and almost cried when I saw Pattaya,. It had become a Miami Beach. I've been here for 2 years (retired now) and still refuse to go to Pattaya.
As many of you here I too have been to many country's and by far Thailand is the friendliest place I have ever been. If I could change one thing about Thailand, then it would be that I wish all the Falang complainers would go back to where ever they came from. This is Thailand and not the west.
Well enough ramblings of an Old Vet.   lol

hi mate i fly out on when to be with my thai wife eney tips on jobs or visas eney help would be good thank you.wayne

tallpoppy wrote:

Hey complaining is fun and everyone's god given right. (PS I don't believe in god) There is a lot to complain about in Thailand and it is especially annoying because those things we complain about are often foolishness that need not be.

Thailand is a great place but foolishness abounds ! (Cons) The people on the street walk arround like lost cattle and 40% of them have their noses buried in
a smart phone. There are so many
absolute basics you can not buy in a
supermarket, like, good bread, a fresh
egg, a real sausage, diet food (other
than Pepsi Max) and so much more.

The noise !  Its a big city so its going to
be noisy but motorcycles without
mufflers, idiot guards with whistles, 3-4
different piped music in the same areas
of a shopping enter, unnecessary. The
dirty streets, uneven footpaths, pig
ignorant and unhelpful public servants,
poor quality and antiquated building
design and construction, wasted
potential AND SO MANY MORE CONS.

But the Pros are abundant too. Its just
that they are secret and less fun to talk
about.

What you said is almost 100% true.

I've learned these words.

1) You are you. Do you want Thailand to rule you or you rule Thailand?

If you're unhappy over the way they do things, do it yourself. You will not get frustrated.

2) Can the doctor give me pills if I go to see him and tell him, "I'm stupid!"

Can the surgeon open up my brain to tighten some screws or reconnect the nerves since I'm stupid?

If there are stupid or ignorant person, let it be and don't need to get worked up. Let them be as that is their life.

It's common to see many people busy with their phone or tablet now. Even a family sitting together in a restaurant is busy with it.

It's how you adjust yourself. As for me, I make it very clear to everyone I meet. If they are going to be busy with the smart phone, I will walk away. We meet is to spend quality time together as humans, face to face conversation.

Go to any country in the world and you see the same. Vehicles that had loud noise from their engines or exhaust or stereo music are POOR people or low education.

They want people to notice them and think they are rich or great.

Do you see BMW 7 series; Jaguar; Mercedes Benz 500 series; Bently; Porsche; Rolls Royse make so much sound?

Do you see the one's who flies business or first class in airplanes wearing thick gold necklace or bracelets?

Does wives of the Rich wear jewelry like a Christmas tree with all the ornaments?

Everyone has the freedom of choice so let it be if the person want to behave as they like.

If Thais are so well in advance, I'm sure many foreigners will move out of Thailand. We need to thank the Thais for giving foreigners the opportunity to live here.

Be happy and stress free then you enjoy life.