Eucador's socialized med program for legal residents

It's been awhile since I've posted to the Ecuador threads.  I recall thoroughly investigating the nascent healthcare system vs. US Medicare.  I wonder if expats have recent (i.e., 2015) and direct experience with the system.  All the places I've investigated thus fare (we're talking three years of indecision) have major flaws of one sort or another.  If it's lack of health care in the USVI, it's lousy healthcare in PR + staggering crime stats.  Can't live in San Juan and environs and can't live other places for lack of transportation.  Las Vegas is out for obvious reasons, even Palm Springs which, years ago, was wonderful, now has high crime stats.  Otherwise, we' talking crazy politicians in FL, AZ and who knows elsewhere.  I've been nearly run down many times by so-called drivers in Tucson running the red at a ped xing.

Anyway, med care is still a biggie, then crime and public transportation.  I have no problem qualifying for my cedula in Ecuador.

DM

seoulguy wrote:

I've been nearly run down many times by so-called drivers in Tucson running the red at a ped xing.

I don't have experience with healthcare, but I do know crossing the streets in Ecuador will not be easier for you. Pedestrians are open season for drivers.

Question for Nards comment about drivers running over people.
Why doesn't the GOV. and the Police do something to put a stop
to this insane madness.It makes no sense where you can run someone
over and it's not any crime, but then if you shoot them it is a major crime.

28204km wrote:

Question for Nards comment about drivers running over people.
Why doesn't the GOV. and the Police do something to put a stop to this insane madness? It makes no sense where you can run someone over and it's not any crime, but then if you shoot them it is a major crime.

Nards' “open season” comment is what's known as hyperbole.

You're mistaken if you think that police in Ecuador routinely ignore the actions of drivers who run over pedestrians.

cccmedia in Quito

Drivers are known to leave the scene as hitting a pedestrian if the fear of having the vehicle seized and being in jail till it is settled in court.