If married to Indonesian national, easier to get Spousal Kitas/Kitap?

Does anyone know if it is easier to get a Kitas and later a Kitap if I am married to an Indonesian national? I would not be working at all and my spouse would be financially strong and would be supporting me.

Whats mean kitas n kitap?

Easy one.

A KITAS is available to any foreigner legally married to an Indonesian for less than two years.
Once you hit the two year mark, go for the KITAP.

The KITAP allows many freedoms you don't have with the KITAS, including INFORMAL work.

Terima kasih bapak fred.

Maybe u can help this one bapak fred.

Fred wrote:

Easy one.

A KITAS is available to any foreigner legally married to an Indonesian for less than two years.
Once you hit the two year mark, go for the KITAP.

The KITAP allows many freedoms you don't have with the KITAS, including INFORMAL work.

Thank you Fred. If being married for more than 2 years and living out of Indonesia but never having applied for the KITAS, would I be able to apply directly for the KITAP? Or would I still need to apply for the KITAS first and two years later apply for the KITAP?

You can not directly apply for a KITAP, you need to obtain first a KITAS for the first 2 years when staying here.

Thank you Mr. Happy. That explains things clearly.

If you were married outside the country, you may be asked to legalise your marriage here. Easy enough to do at your local religious department (Muslims), but I'm unsure how other religions go about this.
Any takers?

Fred wrote:

If you were married outside the country, you may be asked to legalise your marriage here. Easy enough to do at your local religious department (Muslims), but I'm unsure how other religions go about this.
Any takers?

Actually I converted to Islam and married in Indonesia under Indonesian law, but we have always lived away from Indonesia. Anyway, it seems I must first apply for the KITAS and two years later apply for the KITAP. I was just wondering if the current difficulties in KITAS applications would also apply to me.

If you married in Indonesia, all docs are OK and registered in the various institutions then you will be fine and should not have much headache to obtain a spouse sponsored KITAS.

Usually both of you will be interviewed and officials are going to visit you at your home. That being said, you will only get a KITAS granted when living in Indonesia.

“The KITAP allows many freedoms you don't have with the KITAS, including INFORMAL work.”

True, but only for the company or business owned by the Indonesian spouse.  A KITAP holder is not automatically allowed to work for just anyone, or any company not held by their Indonesian spouse who sponsors the KITAP for their non Indonesian spouse. 

Another advantage of the KITAP…it's good for five years.

yup its good for 5 years, after 5 years you can renew it at once for 10 or 15 years if not mistaken, so that takes care for a looong time then.

Thank you Henkrubus, that's good to hear. Great information sharing.

After 5 years you can get unlimited....

good to hear, but if you 60 and get 5 years, after that 15 years, it is indeed the same as unlimited :) we will not make it that long so that's cool...