Send myself money from UK to Tokyo

Hi all,

I have just arrived in Tokyo and will be here 6 days before travelling on to Kanazawa.
My bank card is not working so I need to somehow send myself money to here within the next few days. I exchanged some cash so have enough to get buy for the next few days luckily but does anyone have any suggestions?

All the best,
Dave

You could try phoning your bank or sending them an e-mail to see what they suggest. If it is an international bank like Citibank or HSBC for example, perhaps you can arrange for funds to be wired to you at one of their local branches.

Other than that you'd have to arrange for a family member or friend to wire money to you via Western Union or some other company.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

hellow...

DaveIwan wrote:

Hi all,

I have just arrived in Tokyo and will be here 6 days before travelling on to Kanazawa.
My bank card is not working so I need to somehow send myself money to here within the next few days. I exchanged some cash so have enough to get buy for the next few days luckily but does anyone have any suggestions?

All the best,
Dave

yes

carla pineda wrote:

yes

Hello Carla,

Do you have something relevant to add to this topic thread (i.e. share with us); or are you just trying to build up enough postings to activate your private message privileges????

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Many years ago in France I ended up going to the American consulate office.  A very helpful man there contacted some banking friend and told him about my situation which required some 'handholding'.  I went to that bank and they were able to honor the money order that my father had sent me from the USA (which the French did not recognize).

Bottom line: You might consider contacting your consulate and asking for their advice.

bear in mind that none of the Japanese bank ATMs will accept foreign bank cards
try the ATMs at the post office, or in Seven 11 or if you can find a citibank branch , it should work.
( unless there is a problem with you account back home of course!)

IF you have an HSBC bank account, you could use their card.
I have used them in the past.
I would test it out first in your home country, just to be sure.

You can use moneygram (online remit) 10 minute service if available in UK.