Comfortable salary for a family of 4 in Amsterdam?

My husband and I, along with our two kids(2.5 yr old boy and 6months old daughter) are planning to move to Amsterdam. I won't work until our daughter joins school, we plan to stay close to my husband's office(mostly Amstelveen) and will be using bicycles to commute, we would like to visit our home country(India) once per year, and take small budget long-weekend trips around Europe(3-4 times per year). We will be eligible for 30% ruling.

What salary would be needed to accomplish this?

Welcome on board  :cheers:

Tough question if we don't know about what kind of job you are talking about.
Beside this, depends on your lifestyle, the school your child going, which house  you are going to rent/buy, monthly costs et cetera.

Probably at least around 2200 to 2400.

@Primadonna: Thanks for the reply.
My husband will be working as a Senior Software Engineer. Talking about our lifestyle, it will be simplistic, like eating out once in 2 weeks, get together with friends/colleagues may be once in a month or two. For schools, from what I know primary education is free, but there will be expenses around school trips/events/activities. Lastly, we are planning to rent a house with 2 bedrooms, semi-furnished, garden or backyard is not a must and we don't need car parking.

Does this gives you more clarity about our lifestyle?

Thanks @itsDennis !
From what I heard from my husband, he will get something around 3000 as take home salary per month.

vnkanchi wrote:

@Primadonna: Thanks for the reply.
My husband will be working as a Senior Software Engineer. Talking about our lifestyle, it will be simplistic, like eating out once in 2 weeks, get together with friends/colleagues may be once in a month or two. For schools, from what I know primary education is free, but there will be expenses around school trips/events/activities. Lastly, we are planning to rent a house with 2 bedrooms, semi-furnished, garden or backyard is not a must and we don't need car parking.

Does this gives you more clarity about our lifestyle?

Yes, but I cant call it simplistic if you want every year to India (which I think its fair) AND 3 -4 times a year a long weekend to a European destination.
Schooling is free but if you choose a private or international school it will cost you a lot. but I guess you know that.
Salary is also based on experiences and education so I cant help you with that, I am afraid.

Thanks @Primadonna !

Let's just say, these 3-4 long weekend budgeted trips will depend upon how much disposable income we have, how much we are able to save and may not be mandatory.

Going back to my initial question, what, in your opinion should be the minimum approximate take home salary, in order to afford this lifestyle in Amsterdam?

Hi

I am living in KSA right now. There is never enough for living in amstelveen(i am from there). Standard is high (600+ euro pm just for the rent and if you find a house; ring at galerij 92 they are from india). Your bike grts stolen every year (27 in my living there; so more than average). For the rest: thrrr is a huge community of Indians. Have gun and enjoy holland

3000 should be more than you need. Stay away from shopping centers and you will be happy

@jjvreuls : thanks a ton! What in your opinion, can be a nice locality, other than amstelveen? Which not very expensive and not too far from World Trade Center (Amsterdam-Zuid).

Dear

For you everything will be expensive. The first worry will be to find a place. That is very difficult. Ask your emplyer for help. Else you end up in private sector which charges up to 2000 euro per month, which is in the end unduable.

I wish you all the luck in your quest, and everything in amstelveen and amsterdam is close. The city is not so big and public tranportation is very well organized.

Greetings. Rene

jjvreuls wrote:

Dear

For you everything will be expensive. The first worry will be to find a place. That is very difficult. Ask your emplyer for help. Else you end up in private sector which charges up to 2000 euro per month, which is in the end unduable.

I wish you all the luck in your quest, and everything in amstelveen and amsterdam is close. The city is not so big and public tranportation is very well organized.

Greetings. Rene

Thanks Rene..!!
With all the responses, I feel we should be more than OK. Really excited and optimistic about this change.

Regards!

3000 will be fine

mizzle wrote:

3000 will be fine

Thanks, we got the offer. it will be ~3300.

I am sorry to disappoint you, I live in Amsterdam and work in Amstelveen and I can tell you that you will never find a house for with 2 bedroom for 600 euro.
Even for the Dutch nowadays that money will never be enough.
As an expat you will end up in the free market and you are lucky if you find anything below 1500.

Also make sure your children are above 4 years old otherwise daycare goes up to 1600 euro per month, especially if one of the 2 parents does not work.

I agree with the previous post. I have just moved to Amsterdam and I am renting a three-bedroom apartment for EUR1650. This does not include the cost of utilities, Internet, TV etc. I am living in Nieuwe West which is a nice place and had a good transport system.

vnkanchi wrote:
mizzle wrote:

3000 will be fine

Thanks, we got the offer. it will be ~3300.

Hi!

Would you mind letting us know how are you doing with this salary?  I am planning to move to the Netherlands under similar conditions, and it would be very useful if I had some first hand news about the outcome of it all.

Thanks much!
-ptn

Recently my husband got an offer in Netherlands.... We have a 3yr old baby... Wil it be k for our fmly to live in Netherlands wit 4000€ pm...can we save some money.

We r very simple people so plz suggest me if it's k for to come there r not

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

The Numbeo organisation provides a web-based tool to help with this; this link will take you to the website.