Australians and Spanish Work Visa applications

Hi Everyone,

My name is Al, I'm new to the Expat.com and I'm hoping it's going to be a useful resource and forum for other fellow Aussies looking into moving/ migrating to Spain.
As I have not seen very much online specifically helpful for my situation for Australians (without a British or EU passport), I thought I'd better post some questions which might later in future assist other fellow Australians facing the same questions.
Here is my situation. I'm currently in my home city, Melbourne, waiting for my new employer to go through the process of obtaining permission for me to work in Spain.
For other expats who are reading this for the first time and wanting to know about work visas; the steps for obtaining a work visa include:
1) Applying for jobs - finding an employer who is open to hiring an Australian. The employer has to be willing to go through the process of lodging paper work with the local government to secure your employment which can be a long process.
2) Being accepted for a job
3) Waiting for your employer to obtain permission from the local government
4) Receiving the work permission document from your employer
5) Applying for your visa
6) Getting over to Spain

I'm currently at step 3 and hoping and praying each day that the local government approves my future employer's application. There is in fact a chance the application will be declined if they find there are other suitable candidates who are Spanish or EU citizen, who can fill the position in Spain (in that area).

I have not made contact with any Australian citizens, who do not have a British passport or an EU passport, who have been successful in obtaining the work visa. Not to say that it's impossible, just that I haven't read or met anyone online who has. I also haven't read of or seen anything online about Australians who have have failed to get the work visa.
My question is, does anyone on this Expat.com forum know of any Australian citizens who have obtained a work visa? If so, how long did it take you? What sort of work are you doing? How long have you been in Spain and how are you finding your expat experience? Did you work place extend your visa again after 1 year?

Also if there is anyone here who is involved in running an English school working at an English school, please feel free to add any comments or feedback which you feel might be helpful to me.

Many thanks
Al

Check with Cat from Como Consulting on work visas, perhaps she has info.