Rental cars in Sosua Cabarete. Any automatic cars?

Hello, I was looking some information about rental cars, I am planning to fly to Sosua Cabarete to check the area, also are the cars automatics?

Welcome to the forums.  Have you been here before?  If not you might want to rethink the rental car issue.  The roads and drivers are less then ideal.

Not only are the drivers dangerous but rentals are very expensive when you add the cost of full insurance (which you need) to the price.

Also a car in Cabarete is useless as no place to park them.

My advice .... use a cab

Yes most rentals are automatics

Bob K

we use buses a lot. We have a SUV but if its a long drive we take the bus many times or jump on a moto concho.

Buses,  gua guas,  taxis,  I am with you but I will never ever recommend a motoconcho.  Way too dangerous. I have lost 2 friends to motoconcho accidents.  When you see them on the road you wonder why anyone would take their lives into their hands that way! I would rather walk.

Yeah they are not for everyone. I do\ not mind them and I have one. I am not scared jajajajaja I have an aluminum foil helmet ..many friends on usa die on motorcycles to,.one time 6 funerals in one year I went to.

It happens everywhere you are right but I am not taking that chance and wont suggest to anyone else either.

One of my issues is how they all ignore the laws, it is everyman for himself out there.  At least with a car there is SOME protection.  There is none on a moto!  Yikes....

Back  home in the ER we called them "donor cycles"

Bob K

I've been a biker since 1956,  Albeit as I've aged, I became a lot more aware of my mortality.  Lucky so far, just a few cases of road rash.  Broke some ribs once.  Never again did I ever ride stoned or drunk.  Tis true that the DR drivers are crazy.  No more riding at night, take the car instead,,. ALWAYS!    .

gypsy401 wrote:

I've been a biker since 1956,  Albeit as I've aged, I became a lot more aware of my mortality.  Lucky so far, just a few cases of road rash.  Broke some ribs once.  Never again did I ever ride stoned or drunk.  Tis true that the DR drivers are crazy.  No more riding at night, take the car instead,,. ALWAYS!    .

DAMN your old Gypsy
I close my eyes when my step son is driving. I said something once and he asked " do you want to drive?"
end of that.

I also suggest public transport as option #1.  Especially if you are just a tourist and not a Dominican resident or citizen.  The last thing you want to do is be in an accident.  But if you must get a car I always like OK Motors.  Its closer to Sosua than Cabarete but it is on the main highway.  It is closer to Casa Linda.  There are many options and they are reasonably priced for DR rentals.  There are many automatics and insurance is included.  Many of them are a few years old and may need repairs but if you have any issues the owner is good about taking care of them.  I once had one break down on me and called him and we worked out so I would wait at a nearby bar where I could see the car until he picked me up and he gave me a new car at that spot towed the old one and paid my bar tab.

I second the choice of OK motors.  We use them occasionally when we need a larger vehicle.

Bob K

Yeah Tex, I'm old, but still riding & randy as a boar coon in mid November.   I've been cutting back driving a car at night too. Just short jaunts around town when needed.  How about you?

I started riding Harleys in 1970, drag raced them around the USA also. I quit riding in 2004 had heart attacks and strokes so I felt safer not riding.  I would never ride a scooter here at night. Maybe in town on the Malecon but not in the darker  areas. I only drive in Puerto Plata.