Needed your valuable suggestions for taking up a job offer in Oman

Dear forum members,
I am from mangalore city in south India. Recently I have got an offer of IT-Teacher in Muscat for 1000 OMR which excludes accomodation, transportation, child education allowance e.t.c. The institution provides me only the air-tickets, family visa and medical insurance for my family. According to my employer, my family can join me from 2nd year onwards. We are a middle class family leading a very simple life. I have one kid of 4 years of age and who is going to ICSE syllabus LKG school. Kindly help me to find the answers for the following queries as I believe it is the right forum to approach.

1) Is the offered salary of 1000 OMR would be sufficient for my family to spend a decent life in Oman at present and to save atleast 500 OMR per month ?
2) What would be the school fees for my kid for the next year for UKG in CBSE indian school?
3)How much is the rent for simple 1BHK flat and other utilities?
4)How much do I have to spend monthly for the transportation?
5) Is Muscat can be a place for a simple family like mine to stay for next 10 years?
6) How about the job security in private teaching institutions in muscat?

I am eagerly awaiting for your response.Thank you very much.

That is a pretty decent offer and you will have to spend something like 200-250 rials per month on a 1 bhk apartment depending on the location. In posh locations, the rent goes up.  The school fees for an LKG kid will will not be much of an expense. I think around 25-30 OMR a month should be adequate to budget. Food expenditure will cost you something like 100 omr for a family of 3. You can easily save around 500 OMR a month after living comfortably. So, I would advise you to take up the job.  Though the estimated expenditure is just an approximate, it would be near to the amount.

Further I think, generally speaking for an IT teacher, there is good security because you are not easily replaceable. Please tell me the name of your school so that I can tell you about the security part for the next ten years

Dear bmahesh thank you very much for your replay. Further to your question the name of the institution is "National Automotive Higher Institute" which is a startup institute and opening on september 2015. Could you please help me to find more information about this institute (like, management, location, infrastructre etc.) ?. I tried a lot to google about this institute and i think as it is just starting up, I am not able to find the information. Thank you very much in advance for your help  :/

Bhargav Bhatkalkar wrote:

Dear bmahesh thank you very much for your replay. Further to your question the name of the institution is "National Automotive Higher Institute" which is a startup institute and opening on september 2015. Could you please help me to find more information about this institute (like, management, location, infrastructre etc.) ?. I tried a lot to google about this institute and i think as it is just starting up, I am not able to find the information. Thank you very much in advance for your help  :/

Bhargav Bharkalkar!

How do you expect someone to know about an institute which has not been opened yet. Unless an organization is not operational, noone can give an "Idea" about it.... trust you get my point!

ok bmahesh Thank you very much. I thought that as you are staying in muscat, you might be probably seen the new building of National Automotive Higher Institute (NAHI) coming up.

Guys,

I have visited the office of "National Automotive Higher Institute (NAHI)" premises in December 2014.

It was then a brand new building located just beside the Muscat Expressway, closer to somewhere near Ma'abella.

When I visited their office, the entire building was vacant except for one floor where some 5-6 people were sitting. That was the office. And they had only so many employees then.

I was briefed about the institute and here is what I was informed :

* NAHI is owned and managed by a consortium of all the leading automotive companies in the country, like the Saud and Suhail Bahwans, the Zubairs, the Zawawis, the OTE Group, and some others.

* The objective of the institute is to equip as many Omanis (Omanisation) as they possibly can to take on gainful employment with all these automotive companies - dealers, distributors, mechanics, sales, service centres, etc.

* They were looking at the Secondary Education completed Omanis, to teach them all about the automotive industry

* 100% placement is guaranteed

* NAHI is accredited with the Ministry of Manpower and the Oman Accreditation Academy (no idea what this is !)

* Soon they were to have a tie-up with Universal Training Institute of the U.S. for providing advanced training facilities

* They were looking at a total capacity of 1,170 students; 130 to start with and 390 for each term. Trimester programme – 4 batches in a year.

* The programme would comprise of 1/3 (40%) of institutional training and the rest would be hands-on in the respective automotive companies

* They told me that the first batch will start in February 2015 (?)

* For the first year they were planning to recruit 12 faculty members and 87 by 2017.

Dear sir, thank you very much for your valuable information about NAHI. Now I have to ask you with all the concerns I have about my family, SHOULD I TAKE THE JOB OFFER from them? Could I humbly request you to gather the current information about NAHI if possible? Sir, is there a job security for an IT teacher in a start up institute like NAHI in Oman?   

Sir, as I don't have any known person in Muscat, your valuable suggestions will help me a lot to take the proper decision.

Thank you very much

Bhargav Bhatkalkar wrote:

Dear sir, thank you very much for your valuable information about NAHI. Now I have to ask you with all the concerns I have about my family, SHOULD I TAKE THE JOB OFFER from them? Could I humbly request you to gather the current information about NAHI if possible? Sir, is there a job security for an IT teacher in a start up institute like NAHI in Oman?   

Sir, as I don't have any known person in Muscat, your valuable suggestions will help me a lot to take the proper decision.

Thank you very much

Hi Bhargav Bhatkalkar,

I cannot, and will not comment on whether you should take up your job offer with NAHI or not. It has to be your decision, because it is all about your life and you and your family's future.

Just for your information, these days no expatriate's job is 100% safe or secure here in the Sultanate. Any day anyone can be asked to go. So if you are thinking of a guaranteed job, you are thinking wrong.

What little I saw of NAHI left a lot to be desired. It is a no-starter. And you will be risking a lot by joining them, if you are holding a steady and well-paying job back home. If you are currently unemployed, then yes, you can take the chance.

Thank you very much respected sir. You made my mind clear of confusions. Actually I earn 50k in India and working in India's top 3rd private institution where there is 100% job security. I am even registering for my PHD soon. So I have decided not to take the NAHI offer. God bless you sir. Take care :)

I am an Asst. General Manager - Sales & Marketing in India's largest Automobile Company having 18 years of experience in Sales & Marketing.

What kind of salary can I expect in Oman

Arijit Deb wrote:

I am an Asst. General Manager - Sales & Marketing in India's largest Automobile Company having 18 years of experience in Sales & Marketing.

What kind of salary can I expect in Oman

Hi Arijit Deb,

I responded just awhile back to your same query elsewhere in the forum.

Please refrain from posting the same query under multiple topics. Thanks,