Again, visa question - Canadian - retired

Seen the pension I get from the Canadian Gov., I do not meet the requirements for a retiree visa.

My earnings are $1500 / month (and that's Canadian dollars! sheesh)

Any suggestion?

Gerry

Six months in Canada, six months in Thailand, that's my suggestion.

Thanks but then how to get a six months visa? O visa? I don't see any spec here (Canadian Embassy) showing me that I can apply an O visa, or any other. On which basis?
Thanks for any suggestion.
Or, I can be employed by some school (have earned degrees) and then decline employment after getting the visa, but that's not correct.
Gerard

If you over 50 years and have some money in the bank, you have a  option to use the combine option.

Right now 1.500 Canadian dollars is around 40.000 baht X 12 month = 480.000 baht.
Then you need 320.000 baht in a your bank (around 12.000 Canadian dollars)  to meet the requirement for a NoN O "Retirement" Visa.
The single entry 90 days is "normal" where easy to get in many country's.

Then when you come to Thailand you can apply for a 1 year Extension to stay "Retirement" inside the last 30 (45) days at your local Immigration office.

Please remember that a money exchange rate change, So better to have a little bit more in the bank then 320.000 baht to be on the safe side.

All so keep in mind If you come to live here, to have a plan for healthcare, health insurance and so on.

If you can´t meet the requirement for "Retirement" then you have  the option to apply for a Tourist Visa.
Tourist Visa give your 60 days pr entry, every entry can be extend at a Immigration office inside Thailand by 30 days, so you get 60+30 days pr entry.

After that you have to do a boarder run to use next entry on you Tourist Visa, Or go apply for a new Tourist Visa in a neighbor country, Laos is very easy to do it in right now.

How many entry the Thai Embassy / Consulate in Canada give i don´t know.

AGLV0121 wrote:

Seen the pension I get from the Canadian Gov., I do not meet the requirements for a retiree visa.

My earnings are $1500 / month (and that's Canadian dollars! sheesh)

Any suggestion?

Gerry

Gerry
As others have suggested a tourist visa. Spend 6 months here and six months at home. October to March is the best weather(cooler) here.

A double entry TV can get you 6 months here. Each entry is worth 60 days but you need to exit Thailand to activate 2nd 60 days(Cambodia/Laos/Malaysia/Myanmar). Each entry can be extended by 30 days at Thai immigration in Thailand. Which in total will give you around 6 months, BUT the timing needs to be right since the visa has a limited life and the 2nd entry must be within the validity period of the visa.

Thanks much for this information. I already have close to $500K bahts in a (Canadian) bank.

I like this solution better than the TV renewed by going out to adjacent country. BTW also thanks for this info, in case, one never knows - I was not aware of this. I thought going out of the country to, say. Cambodia only refilled my stay for 15 days - go know why. But you state 60 days which is good to take.

Also, I know too well exchange rates do fluctuate. Each time I am traveling to some foreign country, either the currency I have in hands devaluates or the target currency suddenly climbs all a day before I am on the go.

Thanks for all this info from various members. It's good to find advice here.

Best.

Gerry

Gerry
I forgot to add besides a Tourist Visa entry a Canadian can enter Thailand for 30 days at either land or air border since Canada is a member of G7.
This is called a visa exempt entry.
Just another option to have in mind if the need ever arises.

Yes, thanks for the reminder.

In the past, you could get out of the country through border posts and get 30 days but as it seems, the 30-day entry is now down to 15 :(

My best and safest option is the visa. I may eventually get married but I would not 'just to get to stay' here!

Gerry

or you can apply to learn Thai for the ED visa.

Hi,
I checked with few travel agents in Thailand,some of them are making Retirement visa for me by taking 25,000 THB in return.I need not deposit any money. Agent will do all for me. Sounds good but not sure if it is legal.
Can some one advise please.
Major Kaushal

if you don't know agent don't don't pay him money before he clear your visa
i been cheated by a thai agent @50,000 thb and never got back

It is Siam legal international. Of course I don't know this organization. Thanks so much.

Many seem to be ready to get Scammed! , by companies or private individuals PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE! Do it the Right way , if not choose Cambodia . Pay one fee , or two and you are okay!

I am not aware of life in Cambodia and at 66,it may not be very easy there. Since I have been to Thailand few times and have a friend or two there,I feel little comfortable there. But visa for long stay is a problem. I think I read more on Cambodia and see if that's good idea.
Regards,
Major Kaushal

As long as you can show the equivalent of 65,000 Baht going into a Canadian Account for one day and do a printout for the embassy to verify, that is all you need to do,  It does not have to be pension income as such.

You can transfer from one bank to another, then transfer back or have a deposit made for you take it to your Embassy in Bangkok, they give you a letter for immigration.

You go to a neighboring country ie Laos   and get what is called a Non O visa for retirement purposes, it is good to start for 90 days, then you go to your local Immigration office in T'land with the letter from the embassy and a copy of the printout and it is extended for one year......2,000 Baht for the visa

Then every year you show the deposit again but now you just go to Immigration and they extend for anotheryear without having to leave the country.  Extensions 1,900 Baht.

Or have a family member make the deposit for you and withdraw after you have made a printout of the funds going in.

About  2,600--2,700 dollars.

If done here no police report needed if done in Canada police report needed and they may be more skeptical about the income source, if done in Thailand no problem.

Hi,

May I know what are the requirements for a retiree's visa?  How much do we have to show for cash or equivalent as a proof?

Thanks

Thank you. Very informative.  How is the political situation like recently> Quite stable?  No worry for now?