Tips for getting your first job in Scotland

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Scotland?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Scotland?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

I think recruitment agencies can be really helpful - I managed to get a job through a recruitment agency within two weeks of arriving in Edinburgh!

Hello ashley wanders

Thanks for your input :)

Do you know which is the top hiring sector currently in Edinburg?

Kenjee

Since I am here in Scotland on a spouse visa, my first step after arriving was applying for a NIN: National Insurance Number. Anyone can have one of these and its free to obtain. It helps speed the hiring process once you start filling out applications. It is not required to apply for jobs.
Next I got a job at the Royal Mail for their Christmas rush, it was a short gig, only 3 weeks, but it got me in 'the system' and gave me a local reference for the next job I applied for.  I wasn't looking for a 'career' type job, just something to pay rent and expenses while we are here.
Good luck everyone!

I got a temp role through Search Consultancy in Glasgow lots of call centre jobs if you are good on the phone and computer.

Only thing is they are lowly paid roles. Usually about £16,000+ a year for 35+ hour week working Saturdays and sometimes Sundays on a rotational basis from about 8am to 11pm. You won't usually get sick leave for 3-6 months and can be sacked if you don't perform or don't adhere to rosters.

If you've never worked in a call centre before it will be an adjustment. It's often a revolving door from one call centre to the next.

I'm from a skilled role in Australia with extensive work experience and qualifications however after living in Glasgow for 8 months, I've been unable to find a better paying job. All I can say is lower your expectations so you're it disappointed.