Tips for getting your first job in Australia

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Australia?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Australia?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

It took us 6 months to get jobs in Australia. In my case, it was because I arrived when I was 8 months pregnant and had a job 'back home' where I was able to telecommute using Skype. I also sold items on Ebay Australia to make a few extra dollars in the interim. If you can, see if you can consult for your company in the USA for the first few months so that you can make friends.

My husband struggled in finding employment because he did not have a security clearance and all of his experience was with government contract jobs. The only way he was able to get past human resources was by having a neighbor talk to his son about us. It is still 'who you know' rather than what you know.

If you speak English fluently, it also helps.

Am a track driver and am looking for job in Australia, what will i do?

ramadhan ahmed wrote:

Am a track driver and am looking for job in Australia, what will i do?

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to do i see if you qualify for a visa.

I suggest that you read through the posts listed in the forum categories list on the upper right hand side of this page.

Good luck

I want job in australia as an electrician mean while I work with konkola copper mine in zambia chingola please help me to find job in australia

mbaya kamushele kakonkany wrote:

I want job in australia as an electrician mean while I work with konkola copper mine in zambia chingola please help me to find job in australia

Welcome to the forum.

Please read my previous post #4

The mining industry in Australia is depressed at the moment so very little work available for locals so expats would find it very difficult or impossible to find work. Thousands of mining jobs have gone in the last 12 months.