Internet scheduled to be slow again...

Your Internet speed might have been creeping over the last week but it will get even slower as a days-long maintenance period is scheduled for this weekend for the submarine cable system that enables Vietnam to connect to overseas service.

The Asia-America Gateway (AAG) underwater system will enter a ten-day major maintenance phase on Sunday, a representative from a local Internet service provider told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

This will greatly slow down Internet speed for users in Vietnam when they access services hosted outside the country.

Internet speed in the Southeast Asian country has been unstable and extremely slow at some points since May 26, when what was said to be a glitch occurred to the AAG.

The operator behind the system, however, declined to officially address the issue, whereas some Vietnamese Internet service providers said the incident was fixed shortly after detected. But the speed has since remained at a snail's pace.

Last week's incident was the fourth to have occurred to the submarine cable system, which links Vietnam and the U.S., in the year to date, and the seventh since last year.
On April 23 part of the system suffered a rupture and it took as many as 20 days to be fixed, during which Internet users in Vietnam were left irked by the snail-like speed.

The AAG is a 20,000-kilometer-long submarine communications cable system, connecting Southeast Asia with the U.S. mainland across the Pacific Ocean via Guam and Hawaii.

Vietnam is connected to four international submarine Internet cable systems, namely the AAG, SMW3 (Southeast Asia - Middle East - Western Europe 3), TVH (Thailand-Vietnam-Hong Kong), and IA (Intra Asia).

But Internet traffic in Vietnam is greatly affected whenever the AAG cable ruptures, as the system has the largest capacity out of the four.

VNPT, Viettel, and FPT are reportedly participating in a trans-Asia Pacific cable system project that will connect Asia with the U.S. and is scheduled to go online in 2016.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/28499/mai … r-ten-days

snake77 wrote:

Your Internet speed might have been creeping over the last week but it will get even slower as a days-long maintenance period is scheduled for this weekend for the submarine cable system that enables Vietnam to connect to overseas service.

The Asia-America Gateway (AAG) underwater system will enter a ten-day major maintenance phase on Sunday, a representative from a local Internet service provider told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

This will greatly slow down Internet speed for users in Vietnam when they access services hosted outside the country.

Internet speed in the Southeast Asian country has been unstable and extremely slow at some points since May 26, when what was said to be a glitch occurred to the AAG.

The operator behind the system, however, declined to officially address the issue, whereas some Vietnamese Internet service providers said the incident was fixed shortly after detected. But the speed has since remained at a snail's pace.

Last week's incident was the fourth to have occurred to the submarine cable system, which links Vietnam and the U.S., in the year to date, and the seventh since last year.
On April 23 part of the system suffered a rupture and it took as many as 20 days to be fixed, during which Internet users in Vietnam were left irked by the snail-like speed.

The AAG is a 20,000-kilometer-long submarine communications cable system, connecting Southeast Asia with the U.S. mainland across the Pacific Ocean via Guam and Hawaii.

Vietnam is connected to four international submarine Internet cable systems, namely the AAG, SMW3 (Southeast Asia - Middle East - Western Europe 3), TVH (Thailand-Vietnam-Hong Kong), and IA (Intra Asia).

But Internet traffic in Vietnam is greatly affected whenever the AAG cable ruptures, as the system has the largest capacity out of the four.

VNPT, Viettel, and FPT are reportedly participating in a trans-Asia Pacific cable system project that will connect Asia with the U.S. and is scheduled to go online in 2016.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/28499/mai … r-ten-days

I'm finding it only at certain times of the day/night, and usually only FB, I put it down to the school holidays. ( but then I only get 2.64 MBPS download and .54 MBPS upload at the best of times ).

bluenz wrote:

I'm finding it only at certain times of the day/night, and usually only FB, I put it down to the school holidays. ( but then I only get 2.64 MBPS download and .54 MBPS upload at the best of times ).

I actually had no problems the past several days, both at work and at home. Or maybe I just have gotten used to it....

Our "Judgment Day" is coming :sick

What would we do without Internet ? Hanging out and drinking coffee !?  :/

zanchun wrote:

Our "Judgment Day" is coming :sick

What would we do without Internet ? Hanging out and drinking coffee !?  :/

For whatever reason Cafes seem to have excellent Internet...so yes, coffee e'er day!

No complaints here.
20.22 Mbps down, 14.86 Mpbs up, in Bình Thạnh apartment per speedtest dot net
Twice as good as Comcast in SF

gobot wrote:

No complaints here.
20.22 Mbps down, 14.86 Mpbs up, in Bình Thạnh apartment per speedtest dot net
Twice as good as Comcast in SF

I can only dream about 20 Mbps one day, my test is still showing 2 .64 Mbps down, . 54 up, ( VNPT ), but no way is that right, today/last night is the same as when the cable was broken, gmail takes 6 -7 minutes to load, ( but still doesn't load properly ), and the same to open an e-mail, my phone is only a little bit faster.( wifi from the same modem ).
  Looks like I'll be giving Fake book a miss today as well, 20 minutes still hasn't loaded fully.

Internet is running on valium.

ralphnhatrang wrote:

Same here, awkward to work, plus we had a power cut in the morning, so not much productivity. But I love the Vietnamese folks in the office and how they deal with such situations, they just fall a sleep on their desk and wait for better times.

snake77 wrote:
ralphnhatrang wrote:

Same here, awkward to work, plus we had a power cut in the morning, so not much productivity. But I love the Vietnamese folks in the office and how they deal with such situations, they just fall a sleep on their desk and wait for better times.

The Asian way.... :sleep

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising is not allowed on the forum - please register in the business directory, thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct