Telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth".

It's understood that realtors and developers have no alternative but to sugar coat and glorify every aspect of life in Costa Rica, it's something they must do to earn a living.  On the other hand, "we expats should have a moral obligation to advise "wanna be" expats of the absolute truth about life here.  We should be very honest and openly indicate both the positives and negatives about life here, we should not hide anything.  Sugar coating things in an attempt to lure people to Costa Rica is so wrong.  I am suggesting we tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about what conditions we experience here.

I totally agree with Edward.  He has had negative experiences living here and is still here.  We have had mostly positive experiences.  Do your homework and talk to EVERYONE.  One thing that you find on forums and blogs is that EVERYONE posts their negative experiences and no one posts the positives.  It is kind of human nature.

I honestly feel that Terry gets a commission for luring people to Costa Rica and purchasing something down here, as all she or he does is glorify life here, and "NEVER" indicates any of he negative situations we experience while living in Costa Rica.

Edward;
What is this "chit" I have not yet had a negative experience other than long days accomplishing something.   I feel so sorry for the fact that you have had so many bad experiences and still choose to remain here.  I wish you the best and hope you can find a way out of your predicament.  I have posted many poor experiences but they are losing "time".
I do not "lure" people to Costa Rica, I have no interest other than being happy with my wife (and we are).  My first and only commission I will forward you for your return to a happier place.
Best of luck in your future.
Terry

My business here has been doing quite well for almost eight years, although I've only lived here full time for four years.  I have had a successful life in Costa Rica (after retiring early), so I truly love Costa Rica.  Despite my luck, I still must admit that there are negatives about living in this country, and it is only right to make those negatives known, especially to those who plan on moving here.

What is your business, Edward?

I supply specialty items to expats, such as tailor made awnings, which I have imported from Quebec.  If it's not available in Costa Rica, I do my best to get it to Costa Rica.  Shade sails have become a big item, and have them properly installed.

I, too, agree with the first part of Edwards spiel that says "...we expats should have a moral obligation to advise "wanna be" expats of the absolute truth about life here" ... and then it goes downhill from there  :dumbom:

I agree and appreciate "the truth" as long as everyone reading the post realizes it is only one person's truth, and others may have different experiences and opinions...

Everyone tries to justify their actions and decisions, especially something like moving to a different country, so it's expected that the average person would not want to admit anything negative about their decision.  When I was a Costa Rica tourist I'd boast about the birds and the climate and the beaches, and I'd try to convince my friends to also consider Costa Rica as a place to retire.  Once living here, and experiencing everything there is to experience, I just can't bring myself to boast about the birds and climate anymore (without mentioning the negatives).
I feel that it's so wrong to not tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth about living in Costa Rica.  I'm not going to lie to my friends and relatives back in Canada, just to lure them down here, I'd like them to move down here with "full knowledge" about everything.

Hello Mossie63 - If I ever tell a lie here, you are more than welcome to point it out.

And Mossie63, if he ever tells the truth .......... Well we will have a huge celebration in Costa Rica,  (Don't hold your breath)

Hiding the truth for financial gain, even if you destroy someones life, and I never thought Canadian's were like that.

OK, I'm ready!   Tell me all the negatives.  My husband and I are considering a move with our 8 yr old grandson.

KC

Read the legal requirements, come for an extended visit to do the important 'due diligence'.

I would suggest you contact a lawyer regarding including your grandson in a residency application. Know that putting a child in a private school is not cheap.

There are some wonderful things about living in Costa Rica "which is why I stay here", and there are also some situations where which drive nearly 80% of people to return back to where they came from.  I strongly suggest that you watch all the videos these guys have to offer, they've been in Costa Rica close to ten years "which means they love the country", but they also tell both sides of what it's like to live in Costa Rica.  If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them "truthfully".   bejucoman(at)yahoo.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/iCostaRica24

This is one video which must be seen.....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9WObrEOzI