I'd like to start my own business in Canada

Hi I'm a Capetonian South African considering a move to Canada. Still researching living options (seem to be so many!). I'd like to start my own business in Canada and am researching where to possibly operate from - I would like some recommendations from people who had similar experience.

The best option would be to start with Canada Immigration Services. it depends what type of business you currently operate in South Africa. What your business turnover is - who you clientele are. What your business experience is.

Secondly, You could contact a financial advisor - a Canadian and an Ex South African Businessman - Mr. Denzil Feinberg (Facebook). He is a business consultant.

Thirdly, there is a brilliant ex South African - Canadian Immigration Lawyer living an operating an Immigration Consultancy in Calgary SW Alberta, Canada. -Mr. Nico Breed. I have known Nico for many a year and he assisted me in many ways when making choices about living and working/studying in Canada from SA and made the Immigration Process so much less daunting.

Fourthly, whatever business venture you operate in SA - make sure that it would be a viable going concern in Canada and all necessary documents - paperwork to get recognized by immigration Canada and that it will be recognized business and business operating licence in Canada. You may be able to apply for a business entrepreneurship entry to live and work in Canada.

Calgary is a fairly large and pretty expensive option but it is a growing town of many SA Expats who have settled and work in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. it is a very mountainous very beautiful part of Canada - the winters though can be harsh from late October - early May. Temps can get as low as -55+ or lower in parts and the winds can get really brutal over the mountains. it is best to rent/lease a vehicle here . We have a group called CAA - known to AA Bodies in SA. driving is very much different from SA in Canada. We drive on the opposite side of the road to Africa and most things are reversed in a Canadian car.

it is best to research businesses in Canada who are in a similar line of business to you and make contact with some businesses in Canada and their CEO's of them and it will give you a guideline as to operating costs, licences, hiring staff etc.

Winnipeg on the other hand is a much smaller city - much more affordable city, costs are less, we have the same amount of cold as anywhere else in Canada - except we are not near mountains or large lakes for boating etc. Seasons vary from season to season. We have a brilliant businessman-Premier of Canada - Mr. Steven James Harper of many years standing as businessman, investments and premier of Canada and Premier of Alberta, Calgary. A very astute and very wise man indeed and have been in his very presence on many occasions and am alwys in awe of him. He is a conservative at heart and a steadfast leader and has led Canada to good standing over many years.

Hope this helps you out in your search for a better and safe life - which Canada is - in most places and cities.

Good Luck.

Anne M. Gieg