Staying in Ecuador for 6 months or longer

Hello, all...
Thanks to everyone's advice and their astute sharing I will be making my way to vilacabamba soon. Whenever I goto a new country I go with the intention on staying there long-term and so I wanted to ask about the visa situation there.
1. Is it easy to extend my visa after 90 days and to meet all the formalities?
2.  Can I get an agent or someone to do it for me rather than going all the way to Quito?
3.  If i am successful at extending it for 90 days then is there something else I can do to stay longer or will I have to leave the country for 6 months before I start this over again?
Also, the pension visa or resident visa isn't an option for me, just in case anyone was going to recommend that.. I'm only interested in staying long term using a tourist visa or a basic entry stamp. But I am feeling to just go there without a "tourist visa" and just get the initial 90 days they give a US citizen on arrival and then extend it thereafter, rather than applying for a 6 month visa at the Ecuador embassy, because I am currently living in Guatemala. And I am far away from the Ecuadorian embassy in Guatemala city.  Thank you in advance... I appreciate this forum...

rawfood yogi wrote:

1. Is it easy to extend my visa after 90 days and to meet all the formalities?
2.  Can I get an agent or someone to do it for me rather than going all the way to Quito?

Welcome back to the Ecuador forum, Yash.

1. Historically, U.S. citizens have been able to extend an additional 180 days for 270 total days, after arriving in Ecuador, by getting a non-immigrant tourist visa extension.

2. To avoid trip(s) into Quito, contact Gringo Visas (gringovisas.com) about how to do what you seek by way of Cuenca. You might be able to stop into their Cuenca office to initiate the process on your way through Ecuador to Vilcabamba.

cccmedia in Quito

rawfood yogi wrote:

If i am successful at extending it for 90 days then is there something else I can do to stay longer or will I have to leave the country for 6 months before I start this over again?

Other methods to stay in Ecuador for one year are to become a (language) student with an accredited school...or become a volunteer with an organization that is qualified to issue a non-immigrant visa.

Absent such a strategy, you would probably have to leave EC after the 270 days mentioned above for approximately 90 days, not six months, until the anniversary of your original tourist-stamp-on-arrival.

At that point you could re-enter Ecuador and repeat the process to stay another 270 days in Year 2.

cccmedia in Quito

So good to hear that...

1.  Is it correct though that I don't need to apply for a tourist visa before I arrive to Ecuador in order to get the "non immigrant tourist visa extension".? And I can do all of this when I am in Ecuador?

2. Could you just tell me what are some of the requirements in order to get the tourist visa extension?

Thank you...

rawfood yogi wrote:

So good to hear that...

1.  Is it correct though that I don't need to apply for a tourist visa before I arrive to Ecuador in order to get the "non immigrant tourist visa extension".? And I can do all of this when I am in Ecuador?

2. Could you just tell me what are some of the requirements in order to get the tourist visa extension?

1.  Correct.  The 90-day tourist stamp is awarded at the airport, and you later apply for the extension in Ecuador.

2.  It is simply an extension to remain in Ecuador based on your original tourist stamp.  You will need your passport, a completed application for the extension and you pay a fee (which amount is subject to change, likely a couple hundred dollars).  Documents required for a permanent residency visa (such as proof of marriage and divorce, criminal background checks and birth certificate) historically have not been required for the tourist visa extension.  Would not be a bad idea to email an EC attorney in advance to verify the latest requirements.  Sebastian Cordero, scordero (at) gcabogados.com ....

cccmedia in Quito

Based on an exchange of PMs today between me and Yash, there are a couple of related issues he is asking about.  He gave me permission to discuss them on the forum.

Q: Is it true you can only stay 90 days in a calendar year on a tourist stamp?

Yes, the T-3 tourist stamp is valid for one or more stays totaling up to 90 days during the 365-day period that begins on the day it is granted.

Q: Can I do border runs to extend my time in Ecuador indefinitely?

You cannot count on this any more.

I did a border run in the old days, about 10 years ago, crossing at Tulcan, Ecuador, and spending a few hours in Ipiales, Colombia, then returning to Ecuador for up to another 90 days.

More recent anecdotal reports indicate that the border run strategy is no longer dependable, although some folks manage to get through at some borders on some days apparently.

Better to use the strategies already discussed on this thread.

cccmedia in Quito

Nice. Thanks for the legal contacts. I'm sure they will get me straightened out in regards to the visa specifics. I had some "hopefully" final questions about transport from Quito to Loja and then to Vila. I will post them as a new subject.

i got my 6 month extension here in guayaquil.i´m waiting now for the FBI fingerprint card.i have until september 12 2015.how do i get the extra extension as you describe?thank you r graham

Could you elaborate more on how you got the 6 month extension. Did an attorney help you or did you just goto the immigration office yourself, and if so was the process fairly basic and straightforward? And how much did that cost you? Thanks in advance.

persistance

Yes, they did away with the border-hopping some time ago and you'll probably not succeed in trying. If you are determined to take a risk I suggest you get to northern Peru first, then take the bus from Peru into Ecuador. Like I said, or implied, it will probably not work although I  know one person who does it all the time.

rawfood yogi wrote:

Could you elaborate more on how you got the 6 month extension. Did an attorney help you or did you just go to the immigration office yourself, and if so was the process fairly basic and straightforward? And how much did that cost you?

The extension I got in January 2014 was the rare 45-day extension through attorney Sebastian Cordero in Quito, scordero [at] gcabogados.com ...  I needed extra time, but not six months, when a State Department error caused a temporary delay in submitting my permanent-residency-visa application.

The Cancillería in Quito charged a fee of $60 as I recall.  Since you are interested in a six-month extension, the fee will be higher.

The process appeared easy and routine since I had a professional doing the work and it was a non-immigration visa process.

cccmedia in Quito

An anecdote appeared elsewhere on the Internet in recent days, stating that a relative of the poster attained extra time after the initial six-month visa extension by enrolling in a language school and obtaining a student visa.

The poster claimed that this bought the visa applicant an additional six months.

cccmedia in Quito

gringuito wrote:

i got my 6 month extension here in guayaquil.i´m waiting now for the FBI fingerprint card.i have until september 12 2015.how do i get the extra extension as you describe?

A non-immigrant-visa applicant is entitled to only one such visa extension per 365 days.

You might look into the student-visa scenario mentioned in the above post if you need to buy more time in Ecuador to complete your residency-visa application.

An alternative may be to spend September 12 until at least mid-December outside La República.  At the end of that absence you could re-enter EC on a tourist stamp good for 90 days and subsequently apply to the immigration department for another extension. 

You should plan on re-entering Ecuador in the latter scenario no earlier than the one-year anniversary of your most recent arrival into EC.  If you post again on this thread, you might include that most-recent-arrival date as there may be some present uncertainty about your itinerary as it relates to the arcane visa rules.

Another possible way to extend might be to volunteer with a qualified organization and obtain the relevant visa for that activity.

Don't make assumptions.  If you are planning any fancy stuff to stay on, run your ideas past the ministry or an experienced attorney before getting in too deep.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks for all the visa input. I talked to Sara at Ecuador Visas and she filled me in with all the data. It's actually quite easy I found to extend for 6 months as long as you have $2200 in the bank. Nice...

What happens if you over stay in EC. for months and month after your initial 90 days?
Thks

sreyes wrote:

What happens if you overstay in EC for months and months after your initial 90 days?

Probably nothing right away.

But at some point you may be stopped in a routine police check somewhere.  Even then there is a good chance you won't be hassled or deported.

Eventually you may try to leave Ecuador and will encounter the dogs of SENAE. 

You will likely be told that you cannot re-enter Ecuador for at least nine months.

In Ecuador, laws and their enforcement are subject to change at any time.  So consider this a rough guide, and if necessary, consult an attorney for professional advice and the latest information.

Keep in mind that if you are suspected of participating in any criminal activity, the fact that you have overstayed may seriously complicate your situation.

Better to get a visa extension, which, as the Yogi reported above, is easy enough for all but the indigent to obtain.

cccmedia in Quito