Wanted, a car expert

I have seen an advert on tsikot.com for a 2003 Toyota Prado for 140,000 pesos only done 60.000 kms

It looks in pristine condition and the seller says he is going overseas in November and needs to sell.

The price looks too low, but he sounds genuine.

Any experts here who could advise?

Thanks!

It's a Japanese used car import, or in colloquial terms here, "Subic." Subic is a city here in Central Luzon adjacent to Olongapo City.  It is where you can buy cheap converted (from right hand drive to left hand) Japanese used cars.

Would I take a risk and buy?  It depends.  I have asked a few buyers of it here and some said it's okay, some said it's problematic.  On a practical point of view, I might consider getting it if it came from a buyer already and he/she has improved, modified, repaired or maintained it already.  Would I go to Subic and buy from a used car dealer?  Maybe not.  It was quite a hot item back in the mid-90s when it was first introduced.  If you go to Subic right now, there are lots if them scattered and people are not that keen on it anymore compared to 15-20 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Have all of the low kms vehicles come from Japan?

I know they have strict policy in Japan about how many kms cars are allowed to travel before scrapping or exporting.

OzFreddie wrote:

I have seen an advert on tsikot.com for a 2003 Toyota Prado for 140,000 pesos only done 60.000 kms

It looks in pristine condition and the seller says he is going overseas in November and needs to sell.

The price looks too low, but he sounds genuine.

Any experts here who could advise?

Thanks!

The first point to confirm is the Assembly location.  This is a 3rd generation unit and as such many were assembled in Philippines: Santa Rosa City location.  If this is a local Phil unit, there are no issues with right side conversion from Japan or any special import plate or papers to contend with.  In the US (California) there were badged as Lexus GX 470 and were considered a solid, high quality but thirsty vehicle to operate.  Finding clear info as a "Prado" badge may not be easy…. I think Toyota considers all non-Lexus models to be Land Cruisers and in this model, it is considered to be a "Toyota Land Cruiser Prado".

For me, the second point would be the maintenance records, if any, and what has been replaced.  There is a chance you can get a nice vehicle that locals consider to pricy to operate/repair or maintain.  Your ability to get a confirmed VIN will be a great place to start your research.  Here is a Toyota source on basic VIN breakdown:  https://www.weber.edu/WSUImages/automot … Toyota.pdf

Many are not use to referencing VIN here in the PI and will ask for chassis number so be aware but request both from seller.  Nonetheless, a visit to a local toyota dealer should answer the question on where assembled?

Best wishes!

I was in Philippines in cabuyao.Laguna. my spouse received a message that car in  bague city. Its price was 3500us$. I told my spouse price is low but I will give money when I will received car.but seller told on mob by message that he is going america .1st you transfer money by bank account then come bague city. We inquired he was swindler

Price is way too low.  Probably should be 1.4 million.

Thanks.

That is what I think, but I have checked the price with the seller 3 times and he says 140,000 every time!

Well, if you can view it directly and drive it off with papers, then the most you would be out is 140k!

You used to be able to check the plate number with LTO to at least see if its registered and current on fees.

http://www.lto.gov.ph/services/text-lto 

Also, if friends with any PNP, can check as well.

OzFreddie wrote:

Thanks.

That is what I think, but I have checked the price with the seller 3 times and he says 140,000 every time!

Be careful...that price is very low for only 60,000 KM....Could be very well a scam....

Yes a bargain but lots of car dealers would snap it up if it would be profitable? Manual or Auto, diesel or gas?  Need to take a mechanic to see it. Usually a Filipino sells when their is an expensive repair looming ie auto gearbox or low compression and piston trubbs. Maybe you can find a friendly mechanic to accompany you and pay for his services.
If you are in Manila remember that many cars were flooded during the rains last year and those ingresses would give you problems.

A lot of questions needs to be answered.
1. Is this a Japanese or US surplus?
2. If the unit came from a right hand drive country, I would suggest you forget about it even if the conversion seems perfect.  If you ever saw the actual right to left hand conversion process, you will shake your head and just walk away. The under carriage is going to be very unreliable specially for a full size SUV.

3. Right to left converted vehicles are totally shunned by local dealership. They will not even touch it. If you try to buy parts for it here, you'll always be crossing your fingers hoping that the right shoe fits the left foot.

4. Take a very close look at the papers and have them checked by the local LTO office. There were some change in rules or law years back that may prevent you from further registering the vehicle.

5. Bring all the vehicle's documents to an LTO branch and verify if taxes has been paid. If unpaid, import duties for such a vehicle is at least 200% of assessed value. The purchase price is not the assessed value.

There are so many other things to add to what I've written already but I hope you understand that it's not worth all the effort you have to go through. At that price of P140k, it would have been sold before you could see it if there's indeed no issues with the vehicle.  Just be careful and have the documents checked with the LTO and obtain a documented proof from the HPG anti carnapping agency in Camp Crame.

Its a scam. 140k buys a banged up ex manila taxi with 200k kms A 98 prado goes for 800k