What should I learn? Lao, Thai or just improve French?

I keep coming to Vientiane for relatively short periods (around 2-3 weeks at a time) dealing with an ongoing project. I've been here at least 7 times in the past 3 years  I was thinking I could do a few hours a week learning something useful. 

I've heard Lao and Thai are mutually intelligible so I thought maybe learn some spoken Thai to have a wider use than just Lao.  I am not so concerned about written forms, just day to day chit chat.

From what I've seen, French will not be of much use day to day but could be of use elsewhere (I already have basic French to school level).

So, what should I learn, Lao or Thai or not bother with those and do some French conversation?

(Note: I'm a native English speaker)

stumpy wrote:

Learn Lao is the best thing to do. Very little online courses.
You could try Isaan Thai which is very similar to Lao as Isaan Thai area was once part of Laos.

Even if you make mistakes when trying to converse the locals will appreciative the fact that you have attempted it.
The worst part is the tonal inflections, rising or lower.

Get a good English Lao dictionary too and perhaps look at lao language courses here in Vientiane if you have the time.

Learn Lao. I agree with the above.

Ok, thanks, looks like it'll be Lao.  BTW, anyone know if Burmese is of any similarity to Thai, Lao or??? What?

fluffy2560 wrote:

Ok, thanks, looks like it'll be Lao.  BTW, anyone know if Burmese is of any similarity to Thai, Lao or??? What?

NO commonality between the languages regarding Burmese.

Well that's a bit of a bugger.

Thanks.