POMIS

I am considering a position in Port Morseby and am enquiring about POMIS.
I have read the website am happy with what is advertised.

What I am enquiring about is the actual Teachers.
Are the teachers mainly from PNG or are they International?
I have no doubt in their ability to deliver the curriculum however the language barriers that may be experienced in the delivery.

Any assistance is appreciated as I do not wish to have my children attend a boarding schoolin Cairns.
I havebeen advised that this may be the best course of action but I am not a fan of this.

Well Pomis is a international school and the teachers are from different nationalities..and the students also are from different nationalities too you will really enjoy the environment and the people.the school is in the main city you will like it..if you need any assistance am here to help you am Rodney..

Thanks Rodney

I really appreciate your Reply.
I am trying to answer some questions to my wife.
I have sent an e-mail to the contact on the POMIS Website regarding the curriculum and Enrolement so hopefully we will receive an answer.

Are many of the teachers there International or mainly Papuan?
I do not wish to be rude but my wife is concerned that as my children are in high school (Years 9 and 7) she is worried that our kids will miss the delivery as they have not had an exposure to a foreign teacher before.
I have tried to explain that our kids will be the foreigners now but alas these questions must be answered.

Look forward to your reply

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Generally high school students (expat) seem to attend boarding school elsewhere. My understanding is that the high school here is not of the same standard that is given in Australia, also the lifestyle for kids that age is probably not fantastic here. I have young kids and we love the place, they go to POMIS and it is great for them. Plenty of young kids here. However IMO I wouldn't school older children here for high school. However - that is purely based on hearsay and my opinion, I may be completely incorrect about what is offered.

Well mate most teachers are international few are papuans but they all teach in the same language that is english and the students are from all nationalities as i said..you get use to it when you come and.stay here as the time goes and you will like my country its not good to listen from other people its good for you to come with your family and experience the unexpected.

Thanks for the reply.

We have heard the same.
Can you tell me if any expats have high school children there and their thoughts.
As much as I understand that this is a forum and people (quite rightly so) express their personal thoughts I was wondering if there are any people here actually utilising POMIS for their childrens High School Education.

I would hate for my children to miss out on such a life experience.
Is there any way of possibly talking with an expat who has high school children over there.

Regards

Wayne

Once again I really appreciate the response.
We are keen for our children to experience life and culture away from Australia.

I am still awaiting a reply from the E-mail contacts on the POMIS website so hopefully this will happen soon.
I take it there must be quite a few international high school students there so hopefully some of their parents can make comment on the Blog and we will be able to hear first hand on their experience.
It would be better to hear from them directly.

Regards

Wayne

I don't know of any but my wife is heavily involved with the parents up here so I have asked to see if someone knows of someone who can offer some insight. I do agree it is an amazing experience that you want them to have, but if it was my kids I would want them to get a top education first, and bring them here for their school holidays to experience the place. There is no real extra curricular activities for children of that age to my knowledge, not like they have access to in Australia. I work with two expats with high school children, they all go to boarding school/live with another family member and just visit on holidays. Anyway, as mentioned if I can find someone with children here I will ask them to come on and talk to you.

Thanks for the quick response.

I really appreciate it, we are really interested and keen to hear from someone who is or has experienced it.

We are really looking forward to your response.

Regards

Wayne

Aatuti,
I hope that name is OK.

Thank you very much for all your respnses to date.
My wife and I have been looking into this and are wondering:

Is there a general consensuc up in Port Morseby about which school would be better.

St Josephs or POMIS?
both schools look good (on line) however glossy ads are just that!

If anyone could provide some good info it would be appreciated

regards

Wayne

My wife has asked around but we we don't know anybody who has older children here. She did suggest however you go to Facebook and join the POM Parents Group as there are many parents on that page and they may be able to better answer your questions. Hope that helps.

thanks for the heads up

That will be a lot of help
Really appreciate your assistance in this matter

Regards
wayne

Hi, although I am not a teacher I live on the POMIS compound right next to the school. I see and hear the children everyday. Every one seems to be engaged and motivated. The majority of the students are Papua New Guineans (PNG) but there is a significant number of expat (let us say "white") children there too. I have friends who are expat teachers and they seem to be well capable of delivering high standard lessons. After all, the expat teachers are there to help keep up the standards.
All the PNG teachers I know are able to communicate effectively in 3 and often 4 languages at the same time including standard English. As for the language nuances that could lead to misunderstanding I think that they are opportunities to learn how others think.
Try reading the latest official school report and also the parents' and the stakeholders' surveys.

Den,
Thank you very much for your input, as with all answers on here any input is good input and is greatly appreciated.
As you live close to POMIS, are the majority of the "White students in primary or secondaryu school?
It seems to be the general concensus that every one sends their children south for high school.
As well as the educational aspects of our childrens schooling there is the social aspect that must be considered.
Have you noticed other Expat children at the high school age or are they mainly primary school children.

regards

Wayne

I cant find the POM Parents group on FACEBOOk, Could yoy please send again with the exact name of the Group Thanks In Advance

Wayne

pomis is not australian curriculum. if you want australian standard st josephs is way ahead of pomis.
Mike w.

Thanks for the advice Mike.

Do you have a point of Contact at St Josephs by chance?

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Wayne