International schools in Abidjan

Hi There

I am moving to Ivory Coast in July. Can anyone help with list of International English speaking primary schools and possible the ratings based on experience or even perception.

I would really appreciate your input

Thanks

Sama

Hello Sama
I am not sure if you have gotten any direct answers to your question about international schools in Abidjan. I was there last month and made the rounds of a few schools trying to secure one for my kids. We are moving from Texas to Abidjan in August. The one truly international school that teaches mostly in English is the "American School" but their cost of around $15000 US Dollars (yep you read that right, Fifteen Thousands, no typo) per child per year put it waaaaaay out my league, especially for 3 children.
I have found some schools that are bilingual (french-English)and accredited by the French Ministry of Education to teach the French Curriculum abroad. They do offer some subjects in English.
I have personally decided to put my kids in a French only school for the first year at least. My reasoning being that they will learn the language much faster than being in a bilingual environment.
Some of the school that are accredited to teach the program from France that I have visited are (in no particular order):
-Le Nid de Cocody
-Paul Langevin in Zone4
-Les Cours Lamartine in Marcory
-Notre Dame du Plateau (Catholic school teaching the Ivorian Curriculum but highly rated, probably one of the oldest schools in the country and run by the clergy with separate schools for girls/boys).
The first 3 have prices roughly in the $3000-$5000/year per child (this include transportation and meals at school). The last one is much cheaper at about $1300-$1500 per year.
I hope this helps anyone else looking for this kind of information. I will be there towards the end of August and could provide more info if needed. Live Out Loud...

Thanks Tonfem. This is very useful as I am still in search.  I also considered French only schools at some point but worried about their development academically  if I go that route. Yes they will understand French but might might not develop well knowledge wise as they will struggle with the language at first. This is my opinion and I might be wrong.

So I am considering bilingual schools (still considering though).  I found another school called Morning GLORY International school. Have you heard of it. It purely English and they teach British curriculum.

Can you help with the names of bilingual schools you found so I can look them up.

This post has been really helpful. My boys are 4 and 6 years old and we would in Abidjan for 1 year.

Thanks

Hello Sama and tomfen,

It will be much appreciated if you could recommend those schools in the Education in Abidjan section of the directory so as to assist members looking for schools.

Thank you for enlightening us on this post.

Best of luck, :)
Bhavna

Hello Sama
Yes I have heard of that school. In fact I paid them a visit while I was there. As you said, they are an English only school with French being taught simply as a subject. The reasons that I didn't go that route was due to their high cost ( more than the other three schools that I listed in my previous post) and their location. The school is in Bingerville. It is a bit of a strech for me, being that we will staying in Marcory.
There is another school called Clairefontaine that I forgot to mention in my first post that is bilingual. The french portion of their program is based on the Ivorian Curriculum and the English portion on the US program via affiliation with an academy out of Florida. The total cost is under $ 3000 I believe.
Don't quote me on this however since I visited half a dozen school during my stay and I do not have all their paperwork handy to check on pricing. But you can google them and give them a call.

****Bhavna****
I understand your point and it makes senses. I am just not sure that I know how to move an exsisting thread from one topic to another, short of copying and pasting it into the other section. Any suggestion you can provide on a better way to do this is welcome. Thanks.

Hello again tomfen,

Yes indeed , you will not be able to move the whole thing to the directory.

What you can do is try this direct link : https://www.expat.com/en/add-business/a … t/abidjan/ then click on recommend a service.

Maybe you will have to do it several times, as you recommended a couple of schools and you will have to input the infos for each one of them.

But no worry, you can do it at your pace in your free time  ;)

Cheers, :happy:
Bhavna

Will do. Thanks!

Thanks a lot. This helps!

tomfen wrote:

Hello Sama
There is another school called Clairefontaine that I forgot to mention in my first post that is bilingual. The french portion of their program is based on the Ivorian Curriculum and the English portion on the US program via affiliation with an academy out of Florida. The total cost is under $ 3000 I believe.

@adamwang.

Again you have posted on an old thread (2015)