Transgender work availability

Morning everyone ,

I read with great interest , Malta's progressive policy on transgender people. I was wondering two things really;
1 - how this translates into practice in everyday life
2 - the current availability of work on Malta - especially for a UK qualified (and citizen) secondary school physics and maths teacher

Any help or advice would be most welcome.
Many thanks , Saoirse

Hello and welcome to the forum
In all honesty i dont know - you may want to contact some support groups in malta and ask them as they will know more detailed information.
I would hope though that you would get treated the same as everyone else with dignity and respect

2. as for teaching jobs check out times of malta classifieds register for the etc or contact schools and im sure there will be some work to be had

i am sorry i cannot help more but if you need anymore information on anything dont hesitate to ask

a friend  of mine is transgender and lives on Malta she may be able to shed some light on what you ask

so PM and i can maybe give you some details

I read with great interest , Malta's progressive policy on transgender people. I was wondering two things really;
1 - how this translates into practice in everyday life
2 - the current availability of work on Malta - especially for a UK qualified (and citizen) secondary school physics and maths teacher

As a transgender person that's been here for nearly 6 years.. I think I'm fairly qualified to answer this... ;-)

Malta is progressive however there are a lot of obstacles by a few people.  Teaching is one of the worst...  Good luck with that.  Bars and restaurants your milage will vary.  Entertainment, no problem.  Government, forget it (not because of being trans, but not being Maltese.)

Personally:

Every day life, no problems, a lot though will not respect you and will refer to you as they perceive your birth gender, not as you present (ie if you're not *really* *really* "stealth" M2F they will always refer to you as a man/male.)  Many will think you gay (automatically) and there is a strong prejudice in some areas against gay people but not against trans..(per say) go figure!

I work for a company in the USA after working for a local company.  I suffered, not with the staff at my level but with certain areas of management.  Out and about Bikers and Rock/Metal scene are the most accepting.  Expect at least 30% of the men you meet wanting to use you and a sex 'experiment' until they get the message you're no-ones experiment, then you will be left alone.  Expect to get asked if you have a dick (for M2F) and expect that the answer to that will either present more questions or give rise to, "oh you're male then"...  ID card as female in the first place helps, but not much.

Number one rule: if you're not completely 'stealth' don't try to hide who you are, you will be met with suspicion and rejected.

Thank you so much for your replies. Its much appreciated .

Hi! Could you elaborate on the areas that aren't so gay friendly please as my partner and I (both females) are moving over in October and would hate to lease a place where we weren't so welcome!