Question about teaching experience -v- qualifications

Hello all.

I know there are many questions regarding teaching English here already, but I have a question regarding my own experience. I only posses an online TEFL and a Diploma in IT, however I have one years worth of teaching experience already.

I have taught adults and younger learners (12-15 yo) on a full-time basis just over one year ago. I am in my thirties and come from the UK. I am white.

Will my lack of higher-end qualifications be a major drawback in finding work (possibly in HCMC)? Or should I be able to pick something up fairly easily?

Also it would be great to hear from any current teachers on here, and possibly even meet up at some point :-)

I am currently in Nha Trang, but I believe there will be more opportunity in HCMC so I will be moving there in a few days.

Thanks!

AlanUK79 wrote:

Hello all.

I know there are many questions regarding teaching English here already, but I have a question regarding my own experience. I only posses an online TEFL and a Diploma in IT, however I have one years worth of teaching experience already.

I have taught adults and younger learners (12-15 yo) on a full-time basis just over one year ago. I am in my thirties and come from the UK. I am white.

Will my lack of higher-end qualifications be a major drawback in finding work (possibly in HCMC)? Or should I be able to pick something up fairly easily?

Also it would be great to hear from any current teachers on here, and possibly even meet up at some point :-)

I am currently in Nha Trang, but I believe there will be more opportunity in HCMC so I will be moving there in a few days.

Thanks!

Hi Alan, Hanoi seems to be the place where experience /qualifications/colour, or even being a NES doesn't really matter much, ( unless of course you want to do things legally.  But the 3 month positions still get you around that. ).
I take it your IT Diploma wasn't gained in a University?  As for getting a Work permit WITHOUT a Uni Degree, you still need 5 years prove-able experience, ( working in a legit school ). I had a friend who only had a High School Diploma, but she had taught for more than 5 yrs in Thailand. Learners are usually 4 -5 yrs old these days. Have you tried Craigslist, ESL101, Jobs77, etc. Your colour and age and nationality will be a huge benefit of course.

Hi Bluenz, thanks for the reply.

I will check out the sites you mentioned. As for my Diploma; it was issued from a UK college. I am currently finishing the last of my university degree through the Open University online, but am not there just yet!

My previous experience teaching was through schools in Phnom Penh. As you know the requirements there are more relaxed.

I have thought about maybe returning there to teach while I finish my degree, but I really want a change of scenery!

AlanUK79 wrote:

Hi Bluenz, thanks for the reply.

I will check out the sites you mentioned. As for my Diploma; it was issued from a UK college. I am currently finishing the last of my university degree through the Open University online, but am not there just yet!

My previous experience teaching was through schools in Phnom Penh. As you know the requirements there are more relaxed.

I have thought about maybe returning there to teach while I finish my degree, but I really want a change of scenery!

Hey, you never know, they might even accept your Diploma, all depends on how bad a school wants you and how the Diploma is translated, had another Mate who had a Trade Cert, Diploma in Diesel Engineering, , ( the VN's didn't know what that even was ), but they managed to get it translated as a Uni degree, then he was able to get a Work permit.

Hmm, very interesting. I wonder how many people with 'so called degrees' get passed whatever checks are made to get it transcribed etc?

But at the end of the day, TIA I suppose  :D

I am a licensed professional teacher with a  masters degree and a TESOL  license holder with 18 years of teaching experience.

Sincerely,

Jaime Lorel L. Dablo