Thoughts of the current political scenario towards the next elections?

It's pretty clear that there is a battle between the candidates inside the party in power for the highest political seat. Some are in favor of the constitution's modification to allow the re-election of Danilo, others wants him gone and are in favor of Fernandez Candidature, others still don't want any of them, and this is creating the basis for a political instability landscape and a weakening of democracy.

I'm in favor of the re-election as long as the president keeps doing a great job. However it's up to the locals decide what they want for their future.

Interesting as I was thinking to open this kind of a thread! 

I find this fascinating to watch. 

Some were in favor of changing the constitution to suit Leonel some years back. THEN the constitution was changed back.

And now some want to change it again. AND the original supporters don't want it changed.  REALLY YOU GUYS??????   

Stop messing with the damn constitution! 

Now I am not opposed to 2 terms and then you are done.  It would match the American system and that seems to work fine.  I am not in favor of someone running over and over and over again.............. 

Tonight Leonel is making a speach, lets see what he has to say............

Totally agree Planner :)

Leonel Fernandez has always condemned dictatorships and perpetuity in power but this is his 4th time running for president. He built a personal empire with dubious funds from his last mandates.

If it were not so sad it would be funny

I thought he was speaking earlier today.  Guess we will have to wait a bit longer before we know what King Leonel has in store for us

Bob K

When it comes to money, "borrowing",  skimming, directing, etc etc -  it applies to everyone who has ever held office in this country!!! 

I laugh myself silly over these fanatics who go on and on about how bad "XXX" is when their guy did the same damn thing, sometimes worse.  IF we all agree they are all lying scumbags we will feel much much better.............LOL

Bob he spoke at  10 pm supposedly.  He is proposing a "referendum",  hmmmm did he do that when HE changed the constitution????

Hi everyone.

I have to admit that a Referendum is a better alternative. This way its avoided the carnival of constitution changes.

Well guys, the reintroduction of the re-election reform passed the first hearing in the senate and many members of the opposition support the restoration of a re-election reform in the constitution. This is getting very interesting :)

Still sitting back an yawning here

Bob K

I am watching with interest......

I stay out of Dominican politics.

Yawn...Looks like re-election will take place and that is a good thing for the country. Leonel has seen the light.

Bob K

as an expat - without citizenship -  it is illegal for us to get involved. We cannot protest, we cannot work for any political party or individual etc.   Many don't know this.

For me, I just watch and usually get entertained, sometimes I am appalled and sometimes I cringe.......  :D

"For me, I just watch and usually get entertained, sometimes I am appalled and sometimes I cringe"    and some times I just shake my head and laugh.

I do know one thing for sure ... I will be taking a trip out of the country the week before leading up the day after the elections.

Bob K

hahahhaha my one girl in Santiago stayed indoors after the last presidential elections. Too many people going around shooting shotguns. good idea to leave

How often are elections in the DR?  Something to bear in mind for the future!  :whistle:

The system has recently changed so almost all elections are not every 4 years and at the same time.  Used to be there were elections every 2 years.  The 4 year break is greatly appreciated :D:D:D:D

BObK

Typo in Bob's message -   they are NOW EVERY 4 YEARS.  Yayyyyy  Next one May 2016

thank  you oth.  In light of apparent political hotheadedness, a good thing to know!

No worries Pam, lots more partying then  violence...

Thanks for catching the typo.  Yes every 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the road side signs you would think it was this month rather than a year from now.  The candidate signs went up here on the north coast starting before Christmas.  And along the road the same sign is posted every 50 feet for a mile or more.  Pretty funny and sad at the same time.

Bob K

So much money invested in this election, or should I say wasted on these elections!

Reminds me of here, in the US, LOL!!

At least the Burma Shave signs had humor & a point to make.

Here is something in the news this morning -  the Department of Medio Ambiente is ordering ALL signs to be taken off the side of the roads and highways!  She specifically talks about all the political signs,  they have until next "Thursday or Friday" to get them down.

She says, they have no permission to put them up and that they are eye pollution and distract drivers, thus accident rates are up......

This will be fun to watch.

You have to be kidding.  I will take about 12 hours to put them back up. What a waste of time and $$$$$.  As it is the election costs are astronomical and will run into the 100s of millions of DOLLARS !

Imagine all the mouths that could feed, or efficient electrical plans, or water purification plants, or schools, or salaries for  teacher, cops, doctors this money could take care of.

No rather put up 100 political signs for the same person every 25 feet for 5 miles of road way.   :(:(:(

Bob K

I agree with you Bob. I like the ordering of the removal though!!!!  If she really sticks to it then maybe some things will change. Not holding my breath though.

Glad you are not holding your breath.  You don't look good in blue :D

Bob K

Bob you are correct, its my worst color!!!!

Picked this up today:

According to the environmental prosecutor and the Santiago Development Association (APEDI), 20,400 political and commercial signs have been taken down along several streets and avenues in Santiago. Both institutions warned that they would continue taking down illegally and irregularly placed political and commercial advertising from the city thoroughfares

That is 20,400 signs in one day in one area of the country.  Boy would I love a piece of that printing company :D

Bob K

Well its possible the printers are in  with the  department ordering the removals........... :/

No I meant I would love to have the contract to print millions upon millions of posters and signage.

Bob K

Yup.  I think the minister of media ambiente owns part of a printing company...... we should buy in too!!!

Just the number of schools and universities built under his administration is quite impressive. Education is progress.

I agree  100%,  the changes in education are impressive!  He is not finished but its a great start!

I could not agree more. He really has stuck to his 4%  promise and probably more.  Now time to get to work on the health care, infrastructure, electricity, police corruption......

Bob K

We own a printing company in Puerto Plata, we print political posters.

Then you will be RICHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

si we will have many pesos jajajajajaja and live like kings jajajaja
Just waiting for that one big order it coming soon.

Hey Texas, I hope you have 2 or 3 of those
halfmillion dollar 60" laser printers that run rolls!
& barrels of toners.