Hawkers licence

Hi , has anyone had experience of starting up a buisness. I'm moving to Malta and I want to sell tea and cake from a vintage van. I've found the application for a hawkers licence but I have queries. Is the licence fee per month, quarter or day, can I park up anywhere ? Thank you folk . Deb

I can't help with the licence but finding a parking place anywhere in a tourist location will be your biggest problem.

The Maltese have most of the prime spots taken and not being Maltese will not help your search!

Terry

I'll have to get up very early x

deb holt wrote:

That wont help  as they don't move them ! 

Terry

tearnet wrote:
deb holt wrote:

That wont help  as they don't move them ! 

Terry

Not only that, if you are in their way, they'll move you!

Ray

Hi, the fee for the hawker licence is for a year. As you are going to apply only now you will have to pay only for the quarters left in 2015, so if you apply in June you will pay only half of the yearly fee.
There are some limitations for hawkers, for example you can't sell you stuff close to a school, close to other shops, etc. (of course as long as the other shop owners have no problem with you no one will bother you)
As you are planning to sell food items you will have to get a health certificate as well (it is not the same as the food handling certificate). And this is much more difficult then  getting a hawker licence or registering as self-employed.
Are you planning to sell home made cakes? Are you aware that you are not allowed to sell food items made in your own kitchen according to EU regulations? You will have to get a kitchen with the right permits. Good luck!