Beeping/honking/hooting

My friend arrived yesterday on a visit. He said, after a couple of hours here in Saigon, "Is this beeping (buses, cars, motorbikes) some sort of addiction or do the people doing it actually think it is necessary for safety on the roads?"

I thought about it and guesstimate that there could easily be 100 billion episodes of beeping in Vietnam every day.

Is there ANY hope that there will be some sort of 'peace and quiet'?? Does it matter?

Around 11PM - 4AM u will see it quite even in Center of dist1

Hi,

Haha, i could not stop laughing once reading your post. Seems that your friend just came to VN in the 1st time?
I guess, most of foreigners have same feelings/ surprises as your friends were. it's normal here. It's extremely necessary to make those noises on the Saigon roads. Otherwise; the accidents will be more easily occurred.
well,  a peace and quiet places ? Phu Quoc island, Hoi An and Da Lat are the best choice on my thought. U could find your paradise there. Let's enjoy and relax more!!!!

Vietnam don't have dedicated painted lines or if they do don't drive in lanes so honking is their answer.

The honking is to let other people know they are going to pass them so that they know someone is behind them.

Usually when they hear the honk they will move over to the right or allow them to pass safely.

I hate such kind of horrible noise on roads too, it drives me crazy especially at mid day under this hot weather. It is necessary only in very rare cases to avoid accidents, remaining 99.9999% is from people having bad attitude towards sound pollution, they even can't recognize how bad their action is. It is all about education and attitude.

Would love to make such bad habit of people gone far away but nothing much I can do now, aside from not using beep when I ride motorbike myself and reminding my friends, my family members try not to use it. Don't see any lesson in schools to children about sound pollution, don't see strict regulations or serious implementation of such rules. What can we do about this? Dead-end.

Have people swivel their head checking their mirrors and looking where they want to turn into. Than beep beep honking won't be neccessary.

khanh44 wrote:

The honking is to let other people know they are going to pass them so that they know someone is behind them.

Usually when they hear the honk they will move over to the right or allow them to pass safely.

Well said. Some however make nonsense maneuvers and think they become "normal" if they honk nonstop. But the majority really use it as a way of warning.

I have a friend here who owns a nice BMW. One day we wanted to go for a ride and when I arrived his face showed me somethings not right. He said sorry, we can't go with the car, the honk is broken...

Personally I have no problem with it, in many cases I am glad the car behind honks, makes it easier to concentrate on the front...

Q1 - Is there ANY hope that there will be some sort of 'peace and quiet'??
A1 - No. They have NO concept of noise pollution.

Q2 - Does it matter? 
A2 - Yes, they go deaf in old age and before. Wear ear plugs for protection.

I don't find the honking to be all that terrible. When you're driving in the thick of it I rarely use my horn. It seems it's easy to swim with the fishes than be the leader.

I do agree it's helpful when cars and other beep behind you. Definitely makes you aware someone is close behind and you can continue watching the front. The only thing that's terrible is when you're on the highway. This semis scare the living stuff out of me.

Like Nguyet Truong, I fear it is a bit of a 'dead end' and no hope! Beeping is necessary sometimes , maybe about 1% of the time (and I broadly think it is okay with cars as motorbikes are constantly being pushed in to the car lane for all sorts of reasons). When riding a moto, the noise most of the time is not so bad as you are also on the road The sad thing is that when A beeps at B everyone obviously has to hear it so the impact on the community is an almost constant extremely oppressive noise. So all those good folks in the coffee shops or trying to  rest in the hotel or want to walk around are having their quality of life impacted.I have many a time been in a coffee shop with nice vietnamese music being played but the constant beeping on the road outside completely destroys the experience! but, hey, IF it is the case that most vietnamese do not care at all about the noise and place no value on 'peace and quiet' then that is just the way it is - 'dead end'.Maybe Ralphnha trang is right and maybe an epidemic of deafness will force something to be done lol..PS - those bus drivers bombing down (driving very fast) Pham Ngu Lao with the high pitched beeping what fu**ing planet are you on!!