Family Visa

Hi there!

I'm from Philippines and I'm working here in Oman for almost 4 years. We got married last April and I want to bring my wife here. But I found out that my profession in my resident card is wrong, one of my omani workmates told me that it is a technician which is not correct. I'm working as a junior design engineer and I have the qualification to bring my wife, but our PRO told me that it is difficult to change my resident card status. Now, I'm worried if I can still bring my wife if my resident card saying that I'm a technician.

Can a technician have the rights to bring his family? Whose persons can bring their family here, is their any professions required?

Thanks & Regards,

Hi RYN21,

I have written about this elsewhere in the forum as well, while responding to another member's query of a very similar nature.

What has happened in your case is not too strange, or uncommon. It is in fact a rather frequent occurrence. A practice followed by many employers who fill in the slots that need to be filled, using whatever labour clearances that they might hold.

It is the duty and responsibility of the employee to check and verify if the designation mentioned in the resident card is the same as the one mentioned in the appointment order. Since in the resident card, the designation would be mentioned in Arabic, all non-Arab expatriates must show it to some trusted local / Arab and clarify what the designation mentioned is as per their approval.

Unfortunately, what is mentioned in the resident card is official and everywhere the same would hold good. If it is incorrect, it stays incorrect. Changing of designations is not easy, or simple. And no employer would get into the hassle of doing it at a later stage. Also in most cases the company may not be having the job clearance for that position, hence they use this ploy.

Well, in your case, you have a problem at hand. Speak to your employer and explain that your wife must join you. Since you are now ineligible to sponsor your wife, put the ball in your employer's court and tell them categorically that they must do whatever it takes so that your wife can join you. Unfortunately, there's nothing further you can do on your own.