Salary negotiation in Malaysia

Hi all,

I'm currently based in Indonesia (on a spouse sponsorship visa as my wife is Indonesian) and am looking for jobs in SE Asia. I recently got an offer for a Postdoctoral research position in Malaysia. They are offering RM 6000 per month. However, I'm hoping I could get a better deal if I negotiate. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience negotiating a salary in Malaysia - are there any particular cultural things I should be aware of, for example? Also, the university is near Ipoh, in Perak state. Does anyone know what the typical accommodation and living costs etc are in that part of the country? I will ask the university as well but just wanted some extra input. Would appreciate any replies! :)

Ipoh has lower COL than KL - I would say about 10-15% but it also has very few facilities and nothing international class. Use a website such as www.iproperty.com.my to search on the price of housing. I think you will definitely need to hire a car or buy a motorbike to get around - sounds like the Uni is outside the centre - actually cant think of which one of 3 it could be so be careful of job scams. Your wife could have great difficuty finding work in Malaysia - take that into consideration carefully. Ipoh is a bit off the beaten track although only 2.5 hours to KL (south by road) or the same northwards to Penang Island.

Not sure there is much to negotiate in the education sector and its better than offers I have seen in KL. You would need to state what the extra money will be needed for e.g. stay at home wife - immigration costs for her - transportation.

Thanks for the info, Gravitas! The university is definitely legit - it's UTP (University Teknologi Petronas), which is actually kind of in the middle of nowhere (as far as I can tell), but I mentioned Ipoh as that's the nearest city. Will take your suggestion into account for negotiating - as you've indicated, it may be more realistic to negotiate on benefits rather than salary for this type of position.

Its a low-cost traditional Malaysian area so the salary is good. Dont expect miracles and also be absolutely sure you want to live in the environment, especially as your wife I think has a good job. The going rate before GST in KL was RM5500 so the offer is comparable.

Thanks Gravitas. Yes, my wife does have a good job, touch wood. I guess after being in Qatar and used to the salaries there, the difference between there and SE Asia comes as a bit of a shock. But you're right about being sure I want to live in that area, I'm thinking the same thing and so am strongly considering going there to visit the uni in person before deciding (as the whole interviewing process was done remotely).