EFL Teaching Wage?

Hi!

Is anyone able to give me a rough idea of the type of wage an English language teacher would be looking at (if they were working at a language school) per month?

Thanks

Jess :)

I was wondering the same thing and also could not find much info on salaries.  I was thinking about taking a CELTA class after I arrive.

Hey Jasmine

When do you arrive and where are you thinking of doing the CELTA?

I'm arriving in August, I haven't decided where to take it, but we will probably be living in Marsascala. I'll probably just look for a class close to where we live.

I spoke to a Maltese teacher at a language school in Paceville who was making €11/hr and she said she was at the top of the pay scale at that school. She had a few years experience but don't know what her credentials were.

That's pretty good pay for Malta, isn't it?

Relative to what I've heard re: wages here, yes. It's hourly at least which is better than the monthly nonsense with loads of unpaid overtime.
The cost of living in Malta is higher than you'd expect though, particularly in Sliema and St Julian's where the majority are schools are. Malta is small but commuting is a hassle and you'd want to live close to where you work.

Hi Jess,

the pay is around 10 € / hour with preparation time not paid for. You don't get a monthly salary unless you are in a higher position.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky :)

Hey Nange

Can you elaborate on what you said about commuting being a hassle? We will be looking for a place to live when we arrive so just want to know as much as possible so we make the right choice in location etc. We both drive but after what I've heard about the way people drive in Malta we're thinking of giving a car a miss at least until we're comfortable!

Cheers

Jess

Hi Jess,

if you want to work for a language school Marsascala is about the worst choice you can make to live. Nearly all schools are in the Sliema/ St. Julians area, a few in Valletta.
There is no direct bus from Marsascala to Sliema/ Julians.
Classes start at 9 am so you will be travelling during the general commute from the south. Worst case traffic wise.

There are not many options to take the CELTA degree. The 4 week course is very intensive and costs a few thousand Euro's. There are only a few courses offered every year so you should check the course dates.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,
Oh yeah, the driving is ridiculous. The buses are good but at rush hour and in tourist season jam- packed. Even if you only need to go 20 kms the congestion can turn what should be a short commute into a long one. Having said that, I live in Sliema which is one f the highest density areas so other parts of the island wouldn't be as bad.
If you're going to teach, be sure to bring your original degree and certificates. You need to go to Pembroke to the education dept, get a 'warrant' number after they've checked your credentials and copies of your passport, yadi yadi.. and along with that schools will accept a CV. I believe this is new in the last few years.

Amazing advice guys! I am still in the process of studying my teaching degree so won't be able to teach in schools for a while, but once I am done will definitely go to Ed Department to get them checked. As for CELTA I have looked into NSTS - have any of you heard of them - your thoughts?? We were thinking of looking for a place in Sliema or St Juliens (it was Jasmine who was looking at Marsascala!). Any advice on where and where not to live around these areas and any real estate agents or people you can recommend to help us find a place?? How long have you both been in Malta and where are you originally from?! :)

Hi Jess,

NSTS can definitly be recommended for CELTA. Alan Marsh is one of the teachers for the course. He is highly reputable as a teacher teacher in Malta. My former partner took the course years ago and worked for various language schools.

But there are other courses too. The Ministry of Education , the place that issues your teaching licence and will look at your certificates, is in Floriana not Pembroke.

I don't really like giving real estate recommendations as the experiences can be too individual.Basically all agents have the same (all) appartments in their books and the fees are the same.

Cheers
Ricky

OK awesome I was gearing towards NSTS so will probably go with them! Their course in November suits me as well! Fair point re: real estate agents! Any idea on how much 1-2 bed apartments long term rent in Sliema / St Juliens are?. We will be looking in October. Also what kind of requirements do they have to rent a place? e.g. in Aus you have to be employed and on occasions provide pay slips etc. Is this the same in Malta? I ask as we will both be arriving without work. Also how does it work with utilities. If you rent through an agency do you connect your own electricity, gas etc? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get our heads around as much as we can to make our transition smoother!

I was told to go to Pembroke first, to the assessment office. Perhaps from there you then go to the education dept. Highly likely there are 6 different places to go to before you are even half finished :).

Jess-aus,
I have been here 5 months, born and raised in Canada but half Maltese on my mother's side.
Check out 'expats/foreigners in Malta- feel at home' on Facebook for more good info from other expats. From what I've heard there is no regulation in the rental market so best to talk to people about good estate agents, etc.
Good luck and feel free to ask if you have more questions!

The utilities is a whole other gong show. There is lots of info re: that on the Facebook page, too.
I will send you a more detailed message later but off to walk the dog!

Nange thanks for the facebook suggestion!! Lol I lived in Dubai for a year and Malta sounds very similar when it comes to getting things done - so at least it won't be anew thing for me! Really appreciate all of your help. I was born and raised in Aus, am about 3/4 Maltese. My partner is French and our original plan was to move to France but rethought our plans just recently considering that I don't speak a word of French!! Figured Malta might be a good place to transition from Aus to France so that we can both work whilst we get used to being in Europe!