Moving to Malta from Australia! would appreciate your advices!

Hi all! My partner (who is French) and I will be moving from Australia to Malta in October this year. I hold Maltese citizenship but have never lived there, in fact I have never lived in Europe, so I dare say it is going to be quite a shift! We would love any tips / advice that you can offer on the types of things we will need to do once we arrive e.g. looking for work / housing etc

At present I am studying an Australian degree in primary teaching via correspondence so will be heading down the English Teaching path in Malta until I finish my degree. I am planning on completing the CELTA soon after we are settled - can anyone offer any tips on the best place to do it and whether it is a good thing to have if I wish to teach in Language schools. Is there a lot of work available in this field?

We would appreciate any advice or tips anyone can offer to help us prepare for this huge move! We are really excited about meeting lots of new people!

Cheers

Jess

Hi Jess,

you should definitly go for the CELTA degree if you intend to work in the EFL business in Malta. There are several institutions that offer courses. One good place to go is NSTS.

There are lots of opportunities in the language school section and good career chances , especially the the right qualifications ( CELTA,DELTA and lots of experience).

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for your reply Ricky :)

By chance are you or anyone else able to give me a rough idea of the type of wage an English teacher would be looking at per month?

Thanks

Jess :)

Hi,

This site an excellent resource for helping with your move. In addition there is the Friends of Australia Association which might help. I have been trying to find a link for them but have only come up with this newspaper article
However I have met the mentioned Joe and Myriam Pavia a few times and could put you in touch if necessary.

Good luck with the move
  :)

Thanks heaps for that, will do some research and suss it out! :)