Power cuts

Is it my imagination or is the utility situation getting worse. In recent times power cuts were liveable with maybe
one long cut during week, usually Tuesday from 10-11 until 4 and a few short ones during daytimes occasionally.
But these last couple of weeks seems to be getting worse by the day and even more annoying, its now happening
night time as well,like last night ending up sitting in the dark for hours and in the morning again power cut
again at 8.40, just as I was about to send important email.
And cuts do seem to last longer as well.

This is getting really irritating, any reason why is getting so bad?

So nothing else to do, so thought I'll have a shower. Hah some hope.. yeah.. taps are dry too.
For a tourist area this is a pretty appalling state of affairs...not everybody can afford expensive back up power supply, etc
With the worsening crime situation and now this, sometimes I do wonder -is it time to move on?

and re the cuts are they random or planned- and if so is there a website which lists the area and length of cuts?

When Mahia was the pres, we were lucky to have 4 hours a day with power.  Fernandez made it better.  Now I don't have any idea except perhaps the ancient generators, transmission lines & over 30% of people stealing the power.   The theft is the major reason for the high rates charged.  Somehow, scrape together the money for an anverter.   Even a small one is a life saver.

It depends on where you live. Some areas have 24/7 electricity and some do not. If not, then you need to get an inverter and batteries so your power doesn't go out. I have that and never have problems now.

That's just how it is if you live in certain areas.

Even when the power is out and your on batteries certain things don't work like air conditioners and other higher power intensive motors. Fans work but make a louder hum noise. Some refrigerators may drain the batteries too. This is using a type of inverter called quasi-phase or modified sine wave. A pure sine wave I think might remove the hum from the fans but there is still a large drain on the batteries so you want to get efficient appliances. I have a new refrigerator that is called an "inverter" which I don't really know what that means except that it's more energy efficient. I think it's just a marketing term. But the refrigerator is fine on the batteries and doesn't make any noise.

I think things are worse then  before.   You will see shifts in power  availability based on several factors-  one generator or more being down with problems or maintenance,   time of year - its hotter and air conditioners power up more,  cost of fuel plays a part AND when the gov't is behind in payments to the distributors you will see more power outages.

There is a website where you can go and check your electrical circuit.  If you do not live in a 24 hour zone then you need an inverter and batteries.  Even if you are in a 24 hour or A circuit seriously consider the backup system.

Inverter technology -  fridge, air conditioner etc is about the way it uses electricity-   these appliances are way more efficient. BUT  most do not put a fridge, toaster, microwave etc on the inverter.  They suck too much battery to use.  Air conditioners don't work on an inverter. Also in most cases you cannot use a blow dryer on an inverter either.

I have an inverter and  2 batteries.  Saturday night the electricity went at 9pm and  I had tv, internet,  ceiling fan,  couple lights on.  When I went to sleep tv was off, the rest run.  At  9 am the next day I still had fan and tv and internet  working............  my inverter and batteries cost me  17,000 RD installed 18 months ago.

When I lived in Sosua, I bought a big inverter, 6 batteries, it cost 22,000 installed.  It ran everything in my house.  I don't like AC, so never used more than fans.  When I return home, will install solar to charge the batteries.   More up front cost, but much cheaper in the long run.    By the way, operation a success.  Recovery is way too long for my liking.  No pool or ocean for 5 weeks.  Vision slowly improving, but still a pain in the butt.  No work outs or wood working for 2 more weeks.  Took a week to be able to read & use the net.   Off topic I know, but at least have 24/7 power.    The inverter & batteries were bought in 2003.    Planner you got a great deal with yours.

Power here has been off, on, off, on, off, on.... for the last few days and we are on a 24 hour line.

We do have a generator for backup (shared with 12 other homes)

Bob K

What I can't understand is why real estate is expensive in secondary cities in sections where there is no 24/7 power and the roads are horrendous. In the 1+1=2 world this makes for cheaper real estate per meter, not more expensive :)

Ahhhhh yes applying logic to the Dominican Republic....... it just doesn't apply.... :)

Real world...Get Real :D:D:D:D you are not in Kansas any more!

Power is still a problem in our area. Some places with out power for 56 hours.  We continue to have the on again off again situation.  Some times 5 or 6 times in a 20 min period.   Wrecks havoc on  our electronics.  I just wish they would turn it off till they find someone who knows what is going on and fixes it. 

You can always tell when the generator is on.  The lights are  brighter, fans run faster. Ede Norte has a real problem delivering anything over 105 voltage. 

Ahhh the life in the DR.  Ii think it is time for another cup of great coffee :D

Bob K

planner wrote:

Ahhhhh yes applying logic to the Dominican Republic....... it just doesn't apply.... :)

hahahahahahaha

WE have a problem in La Romana Bob that seems a bit different - we surge constantly -  so our amps go over 144 and then things start to blow up. I need a  special gizmo that protects the equipment! Bloody expensive to put it on just about everything............

We actually blew up a  UPS for a desktop computer - fried it completely!!!!

planner wrote:

WE have a problem in La Romana Bob that seems a bit different - we surge constantly -  so our amps go over 144 and then things start to blow up. I need a  special gizmo that protects the equipment! Bloody expensive to put it on just about everything............

We actually blew up a  UPS for a desktop computer - fried it completely!!!!

You have circuit breakers??? any GFI ? We have never blown anything in recent history. just pop a breaker sometimes

Nope here it is constant low voltage.

Bob K

yes most is110 to120 but some areas have 220 or some have installed a transformer for higher volts.

Could I ask a quick question:  In those gated communities, they supposedly have their own electric generator/supply and water supply so they say..... how true/worth it is that?

I have never been in a gated community. I do not know anyone living in one either. I bet some may be like that. some of the others may know.

All will have water (but you can't drink it) and most of the better ones will have back up electric (inverters or generator).

Bob K

ede Norte generally gives us (when it is working) 106-108 voltage.  Funny when the generator is on the fans are faster and the lights brighter.

Bob K

I am clearly  aware of the difference between  110 and 220!

We  have voltage that normally goes up to  140 - 144 -  when it exceeds 144 it is a huge issue so I have to have protection from it. 

I've never seen this before in this country!  But it is all over La Romana.

Bob K wrote:

ede Norte generally gives us (when it is working) 106-108 voltage.  Funny when the generator is on the fans are faster and the lights brighter.

Bob K

that's because many things operate on variable voltage, like the items you mentioned, you can look at the back of appliance and tell.

100-120 means minimum 100 volts to max120 volts
120/230 means 120 volts OR 230 volts (have to flip switch or flip wires)
120 volts mean exactly 120 volts. no more no  less

you probably know this but some may not.

I am clearly  aware of the difference between  110 and 220!

no offense meant.

do you have breakers ???

Yes honey we do.  We had the place rewired with proper guage wiring,  and we grounded everything.

so you have breakers and you  still blow things up? they must not be  tripping. most breakers are15,20,20,45 amps
so if you are going to 144 they are not tripping at all.

did they ground the service entrance panel???  should be.  most piping here is plastic so you have to drive in a ground rod.

you may want to get a surge suppressor right in the panel. check with the brand of box and see f they make one. there are many quality ones that actually work. many of these units can be junk and do not work. So you need a trusted name.I would talk to the electrician that did the work.

We grounded with 3 copper rods, pretty sure it is grounded. Again this is a common problem here.  We blew 3  monitors that were brought from the US.  They were fixable and now are all on  suppressors specially for  this level.

you never checked to see if panel  is grounded? easy to see it.do not  need three grounds  but its ok. panel has to be grounded... transformers must not work everywhere you live hahahahaha to blow all the time or lightning strikes hhahaha.should not be common problem

best protection is an in panel type suppressor.JFI...

Grounded? Nothing is done right in construction in this country. I mean just about every part of building is done wrong. It's really hilarious. Reminds me of Thailand.

hahahaha I am an engineer and mostly what you say is true. They actually do very good work on the commercial side.
I worked for Fluor and we built the Gold mine here. Residential is both good and bad. Our concrete guys did a great job., But overall the work is Sub Par on residential. I know some really good contractors however but  they are not cheap

dreamtime wrote:

Grounded? Nothing is done right in construction in this country. I mean just about every part of building is done wrong. It's really hilarious. Reminds me of Thailand.

yes 2 wire hot and neutral no ground is the norm. its pretty old fashioned., When I first moved into house, I could stand on bed and look at eye level the main feed coming into the house. it was hanging from one wall to the other.,no support.

:huh:

It's not the voltage that blows things up,
it's the amps that do that.
In Cabrera, we run between 90 & 110 volts.
amps, 30-100, depending on distribution cables involved.
It is truly a mess, but here it's been a constant
40-70 percent per day supply for 4 years now.
In fact, it has been slowly getting better.

overvoltage causes house fires. in usa is against federal law to supply over 5% of rated service. overvoltage can and will damage equipment.
breakers will stop over amperage like they are meant to but breakers do not stop over voltage spikes.like lightning strikes or blown transformers

I can't wait to build a new house. I plan on doing every aspect of the electrical wiring myself with some real gringo electrician. It's going to be better than a house in the USA! :)

In all fairness I know of several Dominicans who like me live here and  work in USA. One friend a a plumber just went back to Miami this week. They have skilled tradesman here you just have to find them.Just like usa, cheap labor is not skilled and skilled labor is not cheap. I can wire any home there is, but the good thing is we have good men here that can beat my price. wiring a house is really easy, you can do it. You can always tell when a homeowner does his own. Unless he had a watchful eye from an electrician

I'll try and find a professional when the time comes.

YEs they are available,  issue is finding them when you want them or need them!  WE found one last night.  We are having issues with the electricity cutting out at home when there is clearly electricity in the street.

Guy came over (referred by a friend)  checked things, opened the Edeste meter,  fixed the  "thingy", put it back together and there you go...........fixed!!!!!  Thank you thank you............  Cost was 300 RD and I gave him  500RD as I appreciated the fast response.

OPENED the meter?
Holy poop!
Dangerous!
But he's an Dominican Electrician, "No Code".
USA or Canada, you open the meter, jail.

Tomas Cabrera wrote:

OPENED the meter?
Holy poop!
Dangerous!
But he's an Dominican Electrician, "No Code".
USA or Canada, you open the meter, jail.

you can pull  the meter in usa in most states with a permit. electricians do it all the time.  Not sure In every state.some may have some goofy ordinance but .  I've pulled them with no permit at  times they show up but if you are not stealing they generally do nothing

domiinicans were stealing the smart meters and putting them in there homes. the legit owner was charged the bill. can't happen in USA.they know the meter belongs to a certain house

Well, in Canada, it's a very serious charge!
Here, If people are smart enough to figure this
out, you would think we, as a whole, would
be a lot further ahead in everything, but........
Love this country!

that's bullshit!!!!! you have to pull the meter to redo service entrance panels on older homes, how do they do it???? answer me that????? get a wizard???  nothing to do with people figuring it out. further ahead in what? I bet they do just like usa sir

I checked with my electrical guys In Canada. it is against the law there for anyone to pull they meter In Canada. Nothing to do with the world  being a better place. a licensed electrician is just as good as the power company employee in the usa. Look at how much it would cost if the sent an  employee out everytime one needed pulled.
maybe not so In Canada jajajajajaj just kidding