I see quite a few developers moving to other countries

I was looking on the line and companies like recap are developing panama and Costa Rica?  What is the deal did they sell out or is sales down in honduras?  Is personal safety the issue?  I was looking at a gated development and then realized sure I would be safe in there hopefully but scared to go outside of the walls.  What are the walls for?  Is it that bad outside?  If its that bad why live there?

You do have to think about security, but I go anywhere that I want. Not wise to stay out late and be careful about who you associate with. Do not flash around lots of money and be careful with the women.

We are bullish on Honduras. We are however building in El Porvenir - islevision.ca/el-porvenir-honduras/. 0 murders last year and really nice people. We will still be taking security very seriously of course.

I am a little bit confused! 0 murders, Roatan, Utila, Guanaja?? I hope that is correct! We want everyone safe and sound!!

If you plan on developing on the mainland you will find everything much different! Security is important, but common sense can prevent unfortunate occurrances.

Mostly all of Central American homes are fenced and gated for security. The majority of businesses also have armed guards. It's the norm not the exception. Housing communities here in Tela and other cities here are going up all over. Personal safety is always an issue but I am more than comfortable here.

Reference if was safer than the islands durning the same time.

The islands are much safer, but still use common sense! Be careful who you associate with and remember to not flash around money or talk about financial dealings! If you have not been in Honduras for a long time than be careful. Most likely nothing will ever happen, but better safe than sorry!

Sounds scary

You just need to use common sense and be wise! I have been painfully honest because if you come to Honduras thinking that everone is nice and friendly, well ....... You can buy property, have a business, etc. but security is an important issue and that you do not get a scheister attorney who will take you for everything you got and be careful with the women! I live here and am fine, yet I cross the t´s and dot the i´s. Security is much better on the islands, yet be careful if you want to choose a local to be a business partner!

Actually Moody´s just uplifted the Honduran economic outlook as positive. The problem with Costa Rica and Panama is intense competition and cost.

Nelson:

Just invest slowly but surely. And do not invest so much at one time that if something goes wrong it will ruin you economically. Do not flash around a lot of money. I was just at the bank and this individual withdrew $10,000 in Lempiras and that just is not wise. Everyone in the bank was surprised and thought it to be not a prudence financial transaction.

prudent financial transaction

What do you mean about be careful of the women?

Number one they lie like rugs. And number two you do not know who their friends are. Go into any relationship slow and easy and get to know the girl well and her friends and family!! If she is a professional well you will be fine, but many of these women give the pretense that they are angels, but they are not. If you are going to pick up a gal that you do not know it is better to take her to a hotel, not your house.

We lived in the mountains of Honduras for two years. So many people are paranoid about safety in Central America. The rules are the same there as in the United States/Canada/etc.   1. Don't go to the bad side of town at 2 a.m.
2. Don't go into the bad side of town alone.  3.  Don't hang around with drug dealers.  4. Lock your valuables.
Get the picture?  Common sense.   We never felt unsafe where we were.  We lived for four months in a small town and I was never afraid to walk anywhere by myself, at any time of the day.  Don't do that in the large towns unless the police have a good presence- tourist towns have a special tourist police to help keep people safe.  The biggest dangers you face are pickpockets in the markets and having your unlocked valuables stolen.  Don't wear a lot of expensive jewelry.  The local rich people are much more susceptible to kidnapping than Americans. The kidnappers know that the Honduran family will ransom the kidnapped.  Americans are not a target unless they flash a lot of money or go into bad parts alone at night.  The mountains are a great place to retire to- Coffee, hot springs, good weather, bananas, all kinds of vegetables and fruit, friendly locals, etc. etc.  Good Luck!   P.S.  Asian countries are funding major road and bridge developments there- New airports are being built.

Hi,
I have been living in La Ceiba for the past seven months, I love it here.  Is it different from Canada, yes!
HOW?
- the fruits and vegetables are organic naturally
- chicken actually tastes like chicken not water plumped, force fed chicken
- there are guns everywhere, by that I mean the security guards here all carry guns and all the stores, gas stations, banks, etc  have security guards.  It is intimidating at first but you get used to it pretty quick.
- we don't live in a gated community in Canada because we aren't millionaires but all the homes in our neighbourhoods certainly have fences around their property.
- if you are going to live here you may resign yourself to the fact that a stray dog will adopt you, there are lots of them
Nicest surprise about Honduras for me is the people, I had met and made friends with a number of wonderful people here and they have welcomed my husband and myself with open arms.
You don't have to be afraid to visit or move to Honduras.  Common sense is common sense
Darlene

Darlene, your post pretty much sums it up

Cheers

All good advice. Thanks for sharing. By the way, this is common sense pretty well anywhere in the world.

Stay safe and best to you!

As a honduran, Im glad to hear some good reviews about my country. I invite you all to visit other places in the country too. The central highlands (80 per cent) same some great places to go to. Instituto Hondureño de Turismo might help you there Tel.2222-2124 Informacion Turistica
Saludos!

I meant that 80 per cent of the country is hilly/highlands

Women in Honduras are extremely catty and are excellent liars! Their mothers are always in the hospital, the dead relatives are dying of hunger, the family horse needs deworming! You always know when a Honduran women is lying, that is when they open their mouths! The serious part is who they associate with. You will never know. You do not know if their boyfriend is waiting at your door with a gun!

if you are around brothels and bars for old gringos looking for young and cheap Señoritas, that is what you are going to get for sure. No wonder!!

CesarLaCeiba wrote:

if you are around brothels and bars for old gringos looking for young and cheap Señoritas, that is what you are going to get for sure. No wonder!!

Cheap Senoritas!  Sounds awesome.

You never know what is inside that chocolate. Honduran women at all socio-economic levels have good table manners and dress well. You never know really who the person is or who are her friends or family members. You do not have to go to a bar or brothel to meet a bad women, (although your chances improve, if you do)!! Also do not allow anyone to have access to your passport, as Honduran women love to photocopy it and take it down to the Registry of Persons and state that a foreigner is the father, for child support.

There are two extremely positive and modern complexes. Altia Business Park and Altara shopping Mall, in San Pedro Sula. There are plans to develop a modern medical center as well.

Remember, Someone just arrives and does not know the ropes. You are correct! Choose your dining and drinking establishments wisely!! Choose your new acquaintances wisely!!

Yes prudent! Long hours and a lot on my mind!

Hey Ed,  missed my flight due to illness.  Still interested in Turtle Beach.  What size lots do you have listed there?  Also, coming from socal and it looks like the flights are minimal.  What day is best to fly into Roatan?  Any recommendations?

i'm trying to reschedule

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your illness. I don't have any lots right in Turtle beach listed. I will send you 2 through the MLS link that are close by and you won't get ripped off like they are doing with you (for example 2X normal closing costs). If we decide to work together I can give you lots of advice and information.