Hello, I'm new here, will you be my friend?

My name is SaltyBug. OK clearly that is not my 'real' name but it is who I go by on my blog. My family and I lived by the sea in Perth, Western Australia. We had a great lifestyle. On weekends we would ride bikes to the beach, the children who are little would squeal in delight as they splashed and our boy caught his first wave on his 4th birthday. We decided late last year to move to Manila, here in the Philippines. An opportunity came up and it was just too good to refuse. Now we are embarking on this big adventure. Learning how to live in this new culture and trying to meet people and make meaningful friendships, especially for the children. We have been here nearly three months and it is like a rollercoaster. I take things day by day because you have to. Some days are so awesome you just sing in delight at this wonderful opportunity. Other days I am on my knees in tears feeling completely isolated, alone and exhausted with the effort every little thing seems to take here. What I know for sure though is this - I am still so excited to be here, and every day is a new opportunity for discovery and I love it!
You can follow our adventures at saltybug.com
Thank you for your time, I'd love to hear from you sometime!

:cool:
Hello saltybug...Welcome to the Philippines...well knowing that u are by the city ...people there as always busy...theres a lot of things u need to adjust...culture,behaviour,food,and people u getting along with...u know its so hard to trust...u must have to be positive...
Why not sometimes go to some nice places inside the phil including the family....visit the provinces..
So u will see how and why Philippines is fond of...ITS MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES ofcourse...just take everything easy...anyway u just only newly moved and trying to adapt FILIPINO CULTURE...
I SUGGEST PLACES U AND FAMILY MUST VISIT : CEBU,BOHOL,PALAWAN,..
Amazing..!!!

Hi! Welcome to the Philippines. I hope you'll like it here. I agree with everything MaChel said. It's usually what all foreigners experience when they go to other country. You'll be able to adapt soon! ^^

Hi salty bug,

Welcome to ph...You don't need me to be your friend, and I don't need you either. I just want you to tell you be careful and just relax. Philippines has lots of things to offer to you. It a place of surprises and frustration for expat. Philippines is like a open field of excitement and freedom of everything. You might have experience a huge culture shock. Be wise and you would love this place.

hi  salty bug welcome to the philippines.. hows u find here? hope everything is   fine. anyway are you and tour family  renting here or owning your  place? its quite expensive if  u keep on renting since you want to settled here for good better get  a rent to  own condo unit .[Moderated]feel free to contact me.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : No advertising of your services

So how has it been going?  Did you find any friends or useful advice/information?  Been 3 months since your first and last post.

Welcome.
Believe me I share your feelings, I migrated from the USA, and have a difficult time adjusting to some of the things that go on here, but you either learn to accept it or you don't. The ways are much different here, one of te hardest things for me is the open corruptness that occurs. But it is their country, and if they accept it, I guess it is ok.

madhatter868 wrote:

Welcome.
Believe me I share your feelings, I migrated from the USA, and have a difficult time adjusting to some of the things that go on here, but you either learn to accept it or you don't. The ways are much different here, one of te hardest things for me is the open corruptness that occurs. But it is their country, and if they accept it, I guess it is ok.

Kinda like Chicago, people are happy to know what the corrupt price is, but with cheaper prices in the Philippines.

I think the corruption here makes the windy city look like Sunday School. Case in point: my Mother in law went to work for the DWSD, went to get paid ans was told no more money maybe next month.

madhatter868 wrote:

I think the corruption here makes the windy city look like Sunday School. Case in point: my Mother in law went to work for the DWSD, went to get paid ans was told no more money maybe next month.

Yeah, at least in Chi people get paid or else.

Yeah, I remember a few years back when delivering to the produce market the police charged me $40.00 to watch the front of my trailer ( 45') after I paid the fee I never saw them again. Only in Chicago.