Online Shopping from Foreign Online Stores

Hola dear expats and locals,

I am new to the forum as well as to Colombo. However, I have been here long enough to realize that I am missing some western products from my daily routine, so I was thinking of purchasing them online and having them shipped to Colombo.

Could you please share you knowledge and experience of how online shopping in foreign stores and delivery to Sri Lanka works?

I already got the sense that the customs in SL has quite strict regulations, so I want to make sure that I know what I would get into if I decide to import. So, have you had any trouble with customs? What are the limits in quantity and price? What are the taxes if any? Etc.

Btw, the items I am mainly interested in purchasing are cosmetics (bath products, face care and make-up) and clothes + accessories (shoes, bags, etc.). And the stores I'd get them from are those like Asos, Harrods, Nordstrom, etc.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to your replies!

Cheers!

If your order is minimum, they post it as a commercial sample and you will not be taxed. I always order one item a time and I was never taxed.

Thank you, Mal!

EmaSL wrote:

Thank you, Mal!

You are welcome!! :)

Some USA stores will accept your orders and can ship direct through a partner called Borderfree, such as Nordstroms, Macys and Bloomingdales.

For those who do not ship to SL, I have had great service from ComGateway.  www.comgateway.com

have you tried the BRITISH CORNER SHOP we have, a great selection, you pay by the kilo, but buy pickled onions for some reason the jars get 'broken' ;) . The prices are good, choice very good and it takes about 14days, oh yes you can track it, hope this is some help.

I think you can try freight forwarders like M&P cause they can help you to handle the complicated stuff like customs and can likely advise you on what you can ship over :)