Marridge Seperation

Hi
I would like to seek advice as regarding marriage separation.  I am from England.  And I met my wife while she was working over here not far from where I live.  We were married in Brazil 9 years ago back in  May 2006.   We then returned to England ,  and she stayed there for 2 mouths, and then she returned to  Brazil.  But I then had to get a Brazilian Permanent  Visa  later that year.  I did eventually get 1 and then I moved to Brazil to be with my wife.   I stayed there for 7 years .  But unfortunely  we were seperated  last year.  But I had to return to England  and I been back in England now for nearly 10 mouths now.   But it looks like  we are on the road to a divorce.  But basicly where do I stand now I am in England and she is in Brazil?.  And who should I imformed to about this?

Since you've been a legal Permanent Resident of Brazil for many years, a divorce will not affect your permanency in any way. That is provided of course you return to Brazil once every two years for a brief stay (no minimum stay requirement - just get that entry stamp and exit stamp that are worth their weight in gold).

If your divorce will be by mutual agreement and there are no outstanding issues such as division of assets, alimony, child support, custody, etc., then you can proceed right to a divorce in the Cartório since the de facto separation has been over one year.

At present Brazilian law requires at least ONE lawyer handle the process in the Cartório. You and your spouse can be represented by the same lawyer provided of course this is an individual you both agree upon and can trust.

While the divorce can take place in ANY Cartório de Registro Civil in Brazil, it is best done in the same Cartório where the marriage took place. If the divorce takes place in any other Cartório then the "Escritura de Divorcio" that they issue must then be registered with the Cartório where the marriage took place and this will only delay things a bit. A Cartório divorce is granted same day, when the papers are all submitted and the divorce takes effect 30 days from that point and the parties are free to re-marry.

The Cartório fees for a divorce are relatively small (should be under R$500 total anywhere in Brazil), most lawyers can handle the matter quite easily and I doubt that their fee would be much more than R$1000 - 1500. Since you are out of Brazil you will need to sign a Power of Attorney (Procuração Publico) which will empower someone here in Brazil to sign all the necessary documents at the Cartório in your place, this is something the lawyer will arrange for you. The "attorney/proxy" must be a Brazilian citizen and you would probably end up with someone from the lawyer's office staff actually acting in that proxy position.

How's your Portuguese??? Do you speak it fluently enough to clearly communicate with and instruct a lawyer? If not you should contact your Embassy here in Brazil and see if they have a list of English speaking lawyers in the city you intend to apply for the divorce in.

So, your first steps toward getting this all behind you would be to enter into contact with your Brazilian spouse, see if she's agreeable to a divorce and what issues you need to settle in order to make it happen with as little hassle as possible.

Any further questions or information, don't hesitate to post here.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James
Thank you very much for your advice there.  I am very please now where I stand.  But James  Its has been a series blow for me having to come back to England,  as I loved living in Brazil very much.  True when I was working for myself  it had been a struggle ,  (By the way my trade is Carpenter & joiner)   Because some weeks there were work but other times there wasn't.   So that affected us financially , so in turn that affected our marriage.  Because we didn't have any money to pay our bills.   My wife claimed that my Portuguese wasn't any good to any one.  But to me James I felt I had made a lot of progress at it since I been down there.   Its because my wife never gave me a lot of support.   That was the reason why we separated  and eventually I had to come back home too.  But as regarding anyone else in Brazil , i.e. in-laws and friends.  They had been very good to me and I owe them a lot in a way of support.  There's one other thing  Would like to asked for advice about.  James.   My wife said some mouths ago ,  some  3 years ago  we had a holiday in England and Italy,  Which she aided out of her Credit card herself.  Well she claimed we still owe the money  who ever she paided it too.   But She is asking me to pay it back.   But to me  why should I?  Because when she did book it up some time before,  I did advise her not for us to go to Italy  because Italy  can be very expensive place to go.  But never  the  less she went ahead and done it.  But I was shocked when she show me the bill some mouths ago.   But why should I pay this because she went ahead  and done this behind my back.   And the other thing was  I never had a  credit card or bank in Brazil.  The only card I depend on was my UK Card.   So in turn what she did  I cannot accept any responsibility for what she did.  If I had use the card myself, then that's fair enough  I would had done the honourable thing and pay them.   But I had been very worried about this for a long time.

Just as I'm sure you no doubt used your credit card for purchases in Brazil that benefited her (and possibly her family) and you'd have an impossible task of getting here to accept any responsibility for those debts and contribute toward paying them; legally she is solely responsible for credit card debts that are in her name.

That said, if you're seeking an amicable divorce you've got to take into account what achieving that is worth to you. If the debt she owes on the credit card is going to be the stumbling block that prevents a quick, no muss no fuss divorce from happening, then you only have one other alternative which is a judicial divorce which will take years and consume large quantities of money to obtain. This will probably be far more than the cost of sharing some of the debt that she racked up. So you have to weigh the costs vs. the benefits.

I can tell you that most expats who divorce Brazilians end up simply giving up all claims to mutual assets, pay off entirely mutual debts, etc., just to get the divorce over and done with and get on with their lives again. I've been in that same situation myself here and I came out of the marriage with probably less than 25% of what was left, even though I put in 100% to the purchase, and I'm still not divorced from the woman. She has no further claims so I'm off the hook there, but I still need to get the divorce in order to fully put my life back on track and protect my present common-law wife and our son.

The money and things will eventually be recuperated in some other form, believe me. I'm nowhere near as well off as I once was, but I'm a million times happier. That has a great monetary value!

The one thing that I take heart in, and that is commonly the case here in Brazil is that the Brazilian partners who have virtually wiped out their foreign partners financially seldom if ever prosper from this. Most of them have gone broke within a very short time following the breakup. My wife wound up penniless and in debt within a year. Here in Brazil there is truth to the time old addage, "What goes around, comes around!"

My best advice to you is to do whatever it takes to get the divorce, cut your losses and if that means eating the lion's share of the debts and foregoing the majority of any joint assets, do it. Consider it an investment in your sanity and a jump-start on your new life.

Cheers,
James