Homesick who needs to re-charge the soul

Hello Bloggers,

This is a poor soul who has spent a year and something here in Saudi-Riyadh, without any good social life. This is affecting me badly at this moment. So I thought to myself "Will, there ain't no shame calling out for help" so any one care to save me?

I looked for parties, where one can socialize, used to do Hash until a group of Arabs made a scene and it stopped to get back with no Arabs on board, or so I heard. I am a Sudani, so I had to go on the list, despite the fact that I don't necessary have a meddle eastern mentality at all. Being Sudani, prevented me from getting to all the compounds I know of. And I miss having open mic, poetry nights, hanging out with good folks and every time meeting some new friends, exchange cultures and so on.

Anyone with a better surviving skills and knowledge cares to show me around?

Regards,
Will

all suffering same :D

Sorry to hear Will.  All the Sudanese gents I worked with in Riyadh were just GREAT all around guys.  I really miss them.

I wish I could advise you, but I'm not located in Riyadh any more and haven't been for quite some time.

I know a few Westerners there and a couple of Saudis, but the Westerners are pretty isolated, too - by choice.  My Saudi friends are married with children and super busy with work.

Maybe you can try and get into the "Filipino network," through work or by simply asking around??

They have all sorts of sports clubs - and being respectful and easy going at one of those functions could lead to a lot more invites to other social occasions - just a thought.