Love it, Hate it, Miss it....Expats in DR

How is the price of a used car more if you have more??????

Bob K

Well said Gypsy.

That's fine Bob, IF you have more.
If you are like me, living on 1400. Cdn./month,
is not too bad because my wife is an accountant
with her own small business.
A lot of xpats & most Dominicans have a lot less.
Hence the 1.5 million small bikes.

As far as used car prices, if Blue Book means anything in the DR,  they should stay the same... IF......

I am all for progress but progress  just to make more money I usually am not.
We used to  go to area known as FIVE POINTS in Atlanta. Five streets came together I one intersection. then of course all the politically correct BMW and Mercedes Uppity jerks all came in and ruined the place. So must of us we started to go to the ghetto where LITTLE FIVE POINTS was. Same type streets but we called it little  five points. We had a bar called Lakewood yacht club. Making fun of the wannabee elites in FIVE points. LFP was THE place to go,rich,poor,black white,green etc did not matter. it was crowded everyday of the week for years. Then doom came to town. Outback Steakhouse (not Australian)cameand bought up all the prime parking and restricted to customers only. then comes another,then we all quit going there. Too many fake people  showed up. They tend to ruin a good thing. You will see that here.

I am confused! This is supposed to be an ex-pat blog about the RD not lots of little tales about things happening or have happen in the USA!

You are correct Granca.

As to the price of used cars - blue book means nothing.  I think previous post referred to a buyer looking prosperous or an expat.  We pay the expat tax!!!!  Meaning they will try to get more out of you. 

But is that different then in the US or Canada when a car salesperson tries to sell you up based on how you look? OR negotiates different based on perception of how much money you have?  Hmmmmmm......

Actually the Blue book can be very helpful. 
1.  Find the price of the car you are looking for
2.  Add 35% of the cost to get the actual price you will pay here.  Example KBB = $10,000 then expect to pay $13,500 for the car here.

Bob K

sorry for the Little tales granca I will try and be a bigger man

The price is higher because of the appearance of $$ & being a gringo in general.  Usually the richer ex-pats don't bother really searching for good deals from small out of the way dealers & private sellers. It helps to have a local friend doing the preliminary looking & getting the best prices.  But, that all takes time & patience.    Texas was giving an example of how gentrification works.  It is the same in the DR as well as in other countries.   Rich in... poor out!  Do not castigate him for telling the truth.  In buying things, contacts are the way to go.  It is possible to have a very good, happy life without a large income.   Blue book means nothing, the people book is what really counts.  You want a good vehicle?   Develop the network of good people, locals & ex-pats.   Take your time, it won't happen over night.   A word to the wise, economize.

OK Gypsy time to get off  the horse.  Your arguments $$ vs NO$$ is getting old.  Glad you exist on  peanuts.  Some of us prefer and can afford more.

As tot he cars got to any used car dealer, new car dealer etc and it does not matter who you  are the price is 35% higher.  I know this from lots of experience both with gringos and local Dominicans.  Yes if you have a friend who has a friend who know of someone in some town somewhere that is selling a very used car you probably can get a deal.  Other wise sorry expect to pay more no matter who you are.

Bob K

Car prices are higher due to import and ITBIS taxes and fees!  That simple! 

Now negotiating prices and discounts has everything to do with what you know about the culture and if you do your homework.  You can get almost the same discounts as an expat if you take the time to do it. Gypsy is correct there. 

BUT for some of us time is money so it is a balancing act. It is no different in that regard in North America - a discount isn't worth diddly if you spent time and money to get it!  Balance is everything.

Good advice - take your time - watch and learn and then start doing things yourself.

Texas  -  hard to tell honey but looks like you are already a bigger man.....    :lol::lol::lol:

Bob, peanuts are healthier than rack of lamb.........they just don't taste as good!    Thanks Planner, you are correct too.    Snide remarks denote often an attitude of superiority  off times not earned.

Play nice everyone....

Ok off to get some more spices for my rack of lamb but I will serve it with a peanut sauce :D:D:D:D

Have a good day everyone!

Bob K

Good questions! Been here 3 months 54 years old my husband is still working in Africa for 3 more years before retiring.  House in Texas on market now. I moved here because it's cheaper and awesome weather not bad mosquitoes  and the animal groups here have done amazing things for the north coast. Unfortunately half of the time I have been here now, the weather all of the sudden has been very humid with little breezes and lots of mosquitoes ...Global warming maybe- but if it's a new normal, I will be rethinking no matter how cheap and beautiful! Bad ...I would say no integrity it's 3 rd world, if u want something done that takes one week in states prepare for 2-3 months even if they say 1-2 weeks!  If u r fluent in Spanish it's a big bonus taking classes now but can't learn it fast enough although many do speak English in expat areas. Lots of pluses but it's not a new found paradise by any stretch. All depends what u can afford that can make all the difference on how u live !!

Robyn sorry you are having what sounds like a rough start.  You need to rely some on other Expats that you can trust to help you find the right people to get things done.  There are actually some good worker about you just need to learn who to call.

As to the weather this has been an unusually warm and muggy summer (actually started two months ago) this year.  IN the nine years living in the area I cannot remember this kind of heat so early.

Let me  know if there is anything I can do to help

Bob K

Nah this is August heat in May and June. very unusual. Everyone is suffering even the locals. Its possible to get things done quickly at least semi quickly. The longer you are here the better luck you will have, we just built a house and it went fine for the most part, all locals. some things went slow, the cabinets were from scratch and all mahogany. no plywood. they went as quick as the usa.
not sure 3 months gives a fair assessment but RD is not for everyone

I agree after almost 12 years the hottest May and June (so far) that I have experienced.  And the mossies come with the rain Robyn,  Hopefully  it will go back to some degree of "normal".