Planning to live & work in Ecuador in 2016

I am a construction professional with over 30 years of domestic and international large scale projects on my CV.  As I near retirement, I am looking for a colorful yet inexpensive country to settle in and have had several conversations with co-workers who have established themselves in Ecuador or are also interested in moving there.  I would like to make my move in the next 2 years maximum and to that end plan on doing my first visit this winter season.  I am currently back in Canada, a country i grew up in but left in 1978 because it is just too darn cold here most of the year.

weeggert wrote:

I am currently back in Canada, a country i grew up in but left in 1978 because it is just too darn cold here most of the year.

Yes, we get that a lot from the True North folks.

Quito is in the high 60s F., about 20 C. -- average daily highs by month, year-round. 

Are you sure you could handle eternal springtime?  ;)

How can we assist you?

cccmedia in Quito

Hi,

I and my fiance are moving to Ecuador in three weeks. Just last week we stayed in Edmonton attending scientific meetings at the Shaw Conference Center. We drove from Seattle to Edmonton and loved the areas of the Rockies. Since we also liked Edmonton, I just wanted to say hi.

Anyway, we will be relocating to Puyo (~ 1.5 hours east from Baños), so stop by Puyo if you come to Ecuador in December. I also wrote to you because my brother is a ingeneer (I am from Ecuador and are returning after almost 20 years living in the States), and I could ask him if he would need help. I am also contacting you because we are planning to build a house in 2016 and for sure will need help.

Best,

Alina.

Living and working in Ecuador.

Living in Ecuador can be one thing, working is quite another. There are topics detailing both situations loaded with good information found in the Forum Categories.

Here are a few basics;

1. For sure, come for a visit first. The best way to know if you will like it is to see it yourself.
2. Determine what type of Visa you can use. Otherwise you are a tourist and will be limited in what you can do.
3. The ability to speak Spanish to some degree will be needed.
4. Most folks don't come to work, they are here to be retired.
5. If you plan to work, aside from fluency in Spanish. Determine the requirements right away.
6. If you plan to start a business, see #4, and contact others who are or have done the same on this site.

You should be able to find just about any information you may need here, or can be referred to the right source. There is also a brand new "Expat Mentors" topic, check it out and see who can help.

Good Luck