Alternatives to Belize?

I'm really liking what I'm researching about Belize, but I do wonder if there are other opportunities with better promise.  I've been to Panama and found some of that to be promising but it too has drawbacks.  I'm not looking to live in a city but rather a more laid-back agricultural setting.  I can always get to a city if needed.

For me, the criteria would be:
*Ability to establish a permanent residence
*Not overly expensive for modest living
*Healthcare not impossible to come by
*Ability to own/lease land, esp for agriculture
*Ease of importations for business
*Telecommunications, esp high-speed internet availability (might be wishful thinking)
*Can bring kids, who will be 15 and 13 at the time (a few years from now)

Its tough without language skills.  Belize appeals because its more familiar to me and English-speaking.  But it does seem to be a tough place to setup a business, even if it is relatively small and menial.  Though for most of Central and South America, I'm not thinking English-only will be very viable.  And business prospects without the language skills will probably be heavily challenged.

What would you suggest in lieu of Belize?  I'm not a Costa Rica fan and Mexico is too unstable for my likes.  Suriname and Guyana give a sense of adventure but lack political stability.  Uruguay seems to look promising also.  Ideally the place would be economically and politically stable, and I'd actually have a chance there doing something.  Not looking to be wealthy, just not destitute.

I like to SCUBA dive, so that helps, but I wouldn't make my choice based solely on that.

I mean, ideally I'd love to move to the eastern provinces in Canada.  But it seems just about impossible to immigrate and setup a permanent residence for small scale business.

Hola, we are hoping to open a business in Belize. It is my understanding that the Belizean Government is very open minded with Exporting, and Employment. We intend to do both starting in July, and will let you know how things go. Have you researched Ecuador?

An alternative we are considering is Ecuador......we are beginning our exploration of these two countries......from the U.S.   Both are somewhat close and have moderate costs of living for expats.    Language will be an issue in Ecuador, but that is some of the same appeal.....living in a different culture and all it has to offer.    Medical is stronger in Ecuador, Belize is closer, both have rain forests, mountains and beaches, work is about impossible in Belize unless you work independently for yourself....and from what I read is not that easy...  Ecuador appears to have somewhat more infrastructure in terms of roads and INTERNET.   

Lots of variables in both countries.....good luck

I would suggest taking a look at Roatan as I'm doing that while I'm  here for 2 weeks of diving and have done extensive research on Belize, Panama and other places. My first choice is a great dive destination but residency is a must as well. Belize has been my first choice for years as well however, I think it lacks some important infrastructure, so I'm also exploring other possibilities. Good luck to you.  Marcie

We have been here in Belize for a few years. We started a Pizza business and have been doing it for 13 plus yrs. we only worked on Friday and Saturday the first 11 yrs. now we only work Two week- ends a month, pay periods.
We have not become rich nor destitute.
We live in the south of Belize now, and love it.
Harvies

the English spoken in Belize is often incomprehensible to people from the USA.  Belizeans generally speak both Spanish and creole.    I have a very difficult time understanding or communicating using phone conversations. 

when I came I thought the "english speaking" was a real advantage over a Spanish speaking country.  after 2 years, it is a non -issue.

what you seek is far more likely to exist in Portland Oregon than anywhere else in the world.  It does not exist in Belize,

mzcalifornia wrote:

what you seek is far more likely to exist in Portland Oregon than anywhere else in the world.  It does not exist in Belize,

I was reading this thread and am curious what specifically does your comment refer to? The posters entire list of wants or???

Thanks!