English Teaching in Malaysia

Hi Everybody!

My name is SOUL. I'm a middle-aged male US citizen of a Moroccan origin. I studied the English language deeply. I got my last certificate from Cambridge University, Boston, MA (CELTA) -- 2014. I utilized it while being in Morocco for 6 months to teach at a language center, but the latter underwent technical problems recently.
I also used to work as a substitute teacher at Columbus Public Schools in the state of Ohio, USA (licensed to teach both young students and teenagers).

I love to travel and reside in an Asian country, especially Malaysia. Can anyone assist me in finding a decent teaching job in his or her hometown or with his/her work firm (in return, I will offer him/her free English classes ;) . I am a fun teaching person. I can teach business English, TOEFL or general communication English to adults (either face to face or online). I can also assist with proofreading (editing) or translating/interpreting from French into English or from/into English and Arabic. I used to work of Columbus City Refugees and Immigration Services (C.R.I.S).

Nice to meet you all. The pleasure is already mine!

soulylou[at]hotmail.com

:)

The market demand in Malaysia is low for EFL teaching (when compared to TEFLers wanting jobs here).

1. Best jobs British Council 8k to 13k oer month (with a DELTA), But they take experienced teachers only.

2. MOE funded programmes via companies like Brighton Education pay well, Consultants have to be very experienced. The trainers are usually very young, pretty (many more women than men) and mostly "white" (!). This is asia (TIA) after all.....

3. Jobs in International Schools. As rare as hen's teeth these are usually for wives of teachers from experience

4. Jobs in English Language Centres: pay is lowest and most are Malaysian. Many Malaysians are fluent in English and these are cheap and no work permit hassles. They usually have TEFL degrees and CELTAs. Foreign teachers all seem white (!) but TIA......

Basically South Korea, Taiwan, China and Thailand are far easier to get jobs in. But the ugly head of rascism raises it head. Fluent British born Asians/Indians struggle to get jobs while blue eyed blonde young East European girls who can hardly speak English get jobs in places like Thailand.

You can get a job but will be hard and pay may well be low. It would be better to try for 1 and 2 and best after more experience although you can try 2 now. 3 is a long shot. 4 is well last resort and less likely as most are owned by private owners who want the "right look"

Your advice is very realistic. It makes vivid sense. I appreciate it.

How's everybody doing over there?

I like Asians countries too.