Relocating to Morocco - how long it takes to establish residency?

My husband and I are Americans thinking of moving to Morocco - we are thinking of the Tetouan area. How expensive is property in that area? We have looked at some of the on-line real estate listings but can't tell if they are legitimate as some look unrealistically cheap. How can I establish residency there?  How long does the process take?  What types of documentation do I need to gather here in the states before the move?  How difficult is it to buy property there?  Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Hello.

Don't move to Tetouan. It's one of the most conservative and religious towns in Morocco. However, if this is what you are looking for...

In the meantime, there are loads of threads here about residence. Use the search function.

"Don't move to <insertWhateverTown>. It's one of the most liberal and secular towns in Morocco. However, if this is what you are looking for..."

You wouldn't like it if someone posted that if you were asking about a place you plan to move to. Nothing wrong with a town being conservative. That's what some people may prefer, just like you prefer the opposite. Anyway as you know already, some people move from the West, to get away from that lifestyle, so that's exactly what they want.

That was someone's opinion.  I imagine the people asking the question could take a straight answer and judge for themselves.  I am finding these posts judgmental and inane.

Moderated by Christine
Reason: please stop being off topic / posting controversial comment or hijacking threads

Hello pelwagaa and welcome to expat-blog.

I would recommend you browse our following forums :

>Information on visas in Morocco
>Formalities and procedures in Morocco

And do keep us posted about the steps you are undertaking.

I would suggest that we all stick to the topic at hand which is "Relocating to Morocco - how long it takes to establish residency?".

Thank you,
Gavind.
Expat.com Team