Freedom of Speech?

sooooo, how is freedom of speech viewed in your culture?  how do you see it in this culture?  i just had a local tell me that freedom of speech was overrated and leads to economic ruin ... hmmmmm, I won't try to defend a lot of things in my culture... but ...lol, freedom of speech is one of our founding cultural principles and have always considered it one of the few positives about my culture ... also, I could be wrong... but last I checked, the US was one of the strongest economies on earth with one of the most stable currencies. 

we have a lot of our own issues, but never really saw that as one.   :)

waiting to be corrected!  :P

The way I see it, "Freedom of speech" is just another way of saying "Let them bark as much as they want as long as we do whatever we want" ("we" being whichever party is at power at the time). I don't see it as a great benefit because most people are talking too much nonsense anyways, and you can always have very interesting private conversations with the intelligent ones regardless of the "freedom of speech limits" imposed by the system, including Kuwait.

new wow... lol ...it's back up and running ...  :gloria ... try to keep this non-political  :D

I'll just make a couple points on the subject, see if anyone chimes in ... lol:

1st ... "My" life's ideology - "no mandatory or forbidden ideology" ...

2nd ... the silencing of an opinion is ‘a peculiar evil'. If the opinion is right, we are robbed of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; and if it is wrong, we are deprived of a deeper understanding of the truth in 'its collision with error'. If we know only our own side of the argument, we hardly know even that ...

and 3rd'ly ... “no matter how pernicious an opinion is; the cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas”

Hope everyone's week is going well!   :cool: