Food to carry from India

Hi, I am looking to shift to Manila (BGC) for an year or so. I am going to be there with my family. I have understood that there are certain food items available in Manila, however, for the initial days i would like to carry my own grains/ pulses (Toor daal, Moth beans, Lentils, Bengal Gram daal )and spices. Also 2kgs wheat flour.

There are also some Ready to Eat packets by MTR , Kitchens of India i wish to carry. This will all be within the permissible limit to carry weight.

Can some one pls help me so i can pack the above items mentioned. It will be a huge help!
Thanks,
Regards.

Just be prepared for much of what you carry to be confiscated. Most nations have strict restrictions on what agricultural / food products may be brought into their nation, especially anything that is produced locally. This is done in order to prevent any plant diseases and pests being introduced into their local environment from outside, and who can blame them.

Most likely to be confiscated, and to cause you problems with the immigrations and customs people, will be meats, fruits and vegetables, grains, etc, because they present the highest risks to local production.

My suggestion to you, since you're only planning on being in the Philippines for a year or so is to NOT bring anything with you, see what is available locally first and confirm with authorities which of the products you can't find locally can or cannot be imported. Then you can arrange for someone back home to send them to you.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

This might also help you:

http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/th … uidelines/

I would say, all kind of daal are costly in Philippines and some of them are not available. however Wheat floor you can get there. no need to carry. Spices will also available in Manila malls or grocery stores.
If you are fond of North Indian food and your requirement is related to North Indian dishes like Daal, Curry items etc, you will get there. Only thing to carry Daal. I am not sure how much you would carry for one year :)  but you can carry 2-4kg for atleast 2-3 months.
Since you are going to stay in BGC, you can go to Jupitor street near by where you can indian grocery stores. you visit to Makati (very near to BGC around 3KM) the shop name in Assad Mini Mart and The Taj where you can buy all indian things along with Indian snacks like Haldiram Bhujia etc. You can find the adress easily on internet. here is the address. Asad Mini mart Unit 1-A, Eurocrest Building, 126 Jupiter Sreet, Bel-Air, Makati City. Tel. No. +632 8972543
Let me know if you need any help

Thanks Ajay for providing useful information. Would be more thankful if you could please let us know also about any such Indian grossary, kitchen items etc. available in Nueva Ecija or near by areas?

I am Malaysian Punjabi and also a vegetarian...you can get everything in Manila just need to add chili oil to the pinoy meals and the food will taste good.

Nueva Ecija, it is far from Manila. I have been there once and i am not sure much about this place. Are you going to stay there for long, then i suggest to bring your indian grocery from Manila or Makati. Or you can google it. Since it is also a city, i believe you will get the things. I will try to contact my Philippine friends and will get back to you, if i could get the information. By the way, when u r planning to go so that i can assist you more convenient way.

If you do a google search on Indian food in Manila, you will see hundreds of hits.  There are dozens and dozens  of Indian restaurants, so they must be getting their ingredients form somewhere locally!!

I find that some people think of the Philippines as "third world", some parts might still be.  But in Manila you will be able to find most anything.  Just do a little google research and look for Indian grocery stores!

Here is a link I just googled:

http://www.indianfoodsguide.com/indian- … anila.html

Hi.
There are some Indian food stores in Manila. I used to go the the Sikh Temple just down the street to eat sometimes.

Indian|Pakistani|Desi Food and Grocery Stores in Manila - See more at: indianfoodsguide.com/indian-food-guide/indian-grocery-stores/the-philippines/manila.html#sthash.VRX57Cfx.dpuf

I hope this helps. Also, my favorite Indian restaurant is Kashmir. 2 locations Malate and Makati.
The murgh makhani is the best!   [link moderated]

Cheers.