Bulgarian Residence Permit Requirements for Indian citizens

Please let me know the requirements to obtain a residency permit to work in Bulgaria. I am an Indian national and I currently have an offer to work. Visa Type D will be applied prior to entry, I just want to know the documents required to obtain the residency permit. Thank you so much.

The documents required to obtain a residency permit are usually the same documents required for your D-visa. If you make sure you keep a copy of everything you used for your D-visa, the process should go quickly. These are:

- Ability to support yourself (your work contract will suffice for that- if you do not have a work contract, then you will need a receipt from a Bulgarian bank account with the minimum wage for the length of your visa (around 4000 bgn for 1 year).
- Medical Insurance- this is the minor expatriation of remains and emergency service. In Bulgaria this medical insurance usually costs around 80-90 bgn for 1 year, depending on your age.
- Proof of Housing (bring your rental agreement or a notarized letter from your landlord/friend you are staying with)
- Criminal background check (the same legalization and notarization that was required for your D-visa)- this is only needed for your first year, as long as you live uninterrupted in Bulgaria
- Copies of your passport and D-visa

Some places require you to have all copies notorized, other ones will check them against the originals when you submit them.

When you apply for a permit, you will first apply for permission to stay in Bulgaria. This will take 2 weeks and costs about 10 bgn. When you receive that, you can apply for your residence card. You will pay a fee of around 500 bgn to stay for one year, and the card will cost an additional 30 bgn (for 30 day processing, for two week processing, it will be 90 bgn, I believe). It is important that you start the process at least two weeks before your visa expires because you need the permission to stay to be here legally. However, your company may want you to start the process as soon as you arrive.

Thank you very much. Your response is very helpful and really appreciated. I am a bit confused about the criminal background check. Is that the same as Police Clearance Certificate? What is the name of the entity where I will have to apply for the residency permit in Bulgaria?

Yes, criminal background check and police clearance are the same thing... I probably have the wrong term for it :)

You will go to the central police station for your region, to the international department. I cannot remember the word in Bulgarian for it, perhaps 'миграция' (immigration). They have them in all of the major cities, though. At many of them, the employees speak some English and can help you out, but you might want to bring a friend to fill out some of the paperwork, because you will eventually have to fillout an application that includes your personal information such as height, eye color, and family connections, which can be difficult if you do not speak the language.

Thank you!!! :)

here's the official part, in case you have not come accross it so far:

http://www.mfa.bg/en/pages/109/index.html