What has struck you the most culturally speaking in DR

Hi everyone

Please feel free to tell us about your own experience, what has struck you the most in D.R. culturally speaking. It can be any funny experience, or something related to your everyday life, or of a social nature.

In my personal case, even though I tend to adapt easily to any challenging circumstances, I have to say that one thing that really caught my attention was how in many homes they need to hire a House made or La Trabajadora (as they call it here). At the beginning I couldn't adapt very well to it as I'm very independent and used to do my own stuff before moving here, but after a while I understood that this is a good support some can give to the most in need by hiring a made, which most of the time are treated as another member of the family.   

What's your story ?

Cheers

P.D.
Flying tomorrow to Canada for 2 weeks, read you from there :)

My husband and I stayed for the first time for 2 months in the DR. We stayed in  a gated community in Luperon.  It was a newer development that was going through some growing pains.  We got to live and interact among the locals.
The locals thought nothing of tapping in  on the hydro line for the community to the point of the community was switching to solar since the bill was extremely higher than the usage. They also thought nothing of putting their dairy cows on any parcel  of land that wasn't occupied .
The town had a very poor system for managing the garbage. Most of it was scattered along the highway as well the sewage.
On the other hand, the locals were very poor but happy. Life was very slow pace.
The children had to share one school...the older ones had 3 hours in the morning and the younger ones had 3 hours in the afternoon.
We truly enjoyed our stay and realized what it was like to live in a 3rd world country

We have re booked for 2 months next January

In my case I would have to say customer service. I have travelled to many countries and usually customer service in countries where tourism generates major revenues, is usually on point. I was actually at W.U. Waiting to pick up some money, but the agent was so focused on the juicy conversation that she simply had me stand there and wait, til she got all of the gossip completed. I knew it was not work related because I'm fluent in Spanish, but I guess to her, I just looked like another gringo coming in an interrupting her juicy gossip of the day :cool:

Three very good posts.  I agree in that Customer service, or lack there of, is one of the biggest "shock" for us. 

As to the "maid" situation.  We got spoiled very early in our adventure and I am not sure if  and when we leave the DR how we will survive without Mari (our maid for the last 9 years).

Bob K

For me it is the sense of community and family.  It is everywhere, few go hungry  - someone will feed them.  Clothes are passed down until they fall apart.   Communities raise children.

Communities take care of their own. IF you are part of the community that includes you.

Maids - makes me uncomfortable after 11 years still. But finally going to have a live in!  Customer service - yikes.

Stealing electricity - major issue in this country along with garbage!

The customer service is almost inexistent :) and certainly patience and understanding will be needed to deal with all kind of situations. I must admit that is not like that everywhere in the Island. Some places are really worth visiting over and over for the great treatment they give to customers mostly in small towns and the country side...

Well guys & gals, here in Cabrera,I have
found customer service to be FAR better than anywhere
else that I have been to here on my Island.
Planner, you are very right about families & communities here.
The one thing that I miss from Canada is the simple "thanks"
you get for anything. And, currently, the temperatures & rain
in Northern Ontario.
Our "Judy" is pretty much a family member.
Also, the children of middle class families don't work
around the house unless TOLD TO!
All in all I do love my new home!

If you think customer service is bad here, try the Czech Republic. LOL. You haven't seen anything like it is there.

I find customer service here pretty good at the upmarket establishments. Of course any local shops usually have the village idiot working the front so that's what you get.

We think the culture may have some things missing, for example customer service - in many Canadian provinces there is a process to continually upgrade  customer service skills as their provincial tourism departments have education councils and certifications. Apparently this does not happen in the DR.

Back to the main point of the thread - What has struck us most culturally is the music, from boleros to merengue, i.e. from Lucho Gatica to Johnny Ventura.   The exposure to an incredible playlist...

I never heard any of this music before I got here. This is definitely a plus. What's also good is every casa has a music box and they play it loud. Which means, you don't need to buy one because you can hear all their music day and night and it's all free and they handle the playlist :)

Hahahaha  and if you dont like the music just go half a block down the street................

Actually I would like it a lot more if they only played it loud.  You would need to turn the volume down by 25% to reach loud.  I am convinced that most Dominicans must be deaf by the time they reach their mid 20s.

Bob K

Sorry what did you say, I didn't hear you.

what???????????????   :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Planner, you have to put this down on the list of positives in the DR. No need to buy a stereo system. Because every casa has one and lots of cars have souped up stereos and they are driving around all day long. Gotta love it!

Actually one of the things I like least about living here is the noise of the "souped up car stereos" and the loud music from bars, homes, local colmados and so on

Bob K

I don't mind the colmado music, the club music etc as I don't live anywhere near them.  So, I go there to buy something and get the music for  4 minutes OR I go there to listen to music and dance.

As a dancer I always love the "good" music.

I am with you BOB on the ridiculous  car stereos. Often they don't have working lights or a set of mirrors but damn they have the best blasting music money can buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

the NOISE and the fact that people cant live here without it.
also the fact, that adult people have no basics of math or geography that any 12 years old child in Europe would have.

There is certainly good music and bad tastes :)

Have to admit that I can get really annoyed after a half an hour of Bachata from the neighbor's Boom Box. I'm good with merengue or similar, but the country side bachata drive me nuts @_@

Cheers

Well my friend, better get used to it!
Like the rest of us. :)
Or like Planner, dance whenever you can!

Yesssssssss.  And I am one with bad taste then.............I like bachata..............

We all like Bachata! Just not at Dangerous levels!
Hearing aids are expensive here, I think!

Soooo true.  And how about the guys who like to dance in front of the speakers!!!! bloody hell.....

You have to accept it all. Otherwise, it will drive you nuts :)

Before I got here I liked peace and quiet. Now I like Bachata, Meringue, Salsa, and whatever else the want to blow on their stereos while drinking El Presidente like it's water and watching 100 guys and 4 girls do their thing :)