Stolen Brazilian Permanent Visa. How to replace?

I have been living in Rio for 6 months with my US passport and permanent retired person Brazilian visa.  Last week I was visiting my old home in San Francisco and my briefcase was stolen from my car.  I had to get a rushed Brazilian tourist visa to make my return flight to Rio.  I am here in Rio with a 90 day tourist visa, how do I get my permanent visa re-issued into my new US passport?

I presume you've already obtained a new US passport. Now all you need to do is apply at the Federal Police for a new visa. Drop into the Regional Superintendency of the Federal Police and ask them exactly how to proceed. Your're already permanent so you should have your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro, unless that got stolen at the same time. Just present your CIE and they check all that in their computer system. They will stamp your new passport "Registrado como Permanente". They're not actually going to issue a new VIPER Permanent Visa since only the Consulado does that. I don't know why you had to go through all the trouble of applying for a VITUR Tourist Visa if you have the CIE (as you are required by law). That and your passport really were all you needed in order to return to Brazil.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

If you don't have the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro you're going to have some problems since by law you were supposed to have Registered in the RNE and applied for the CIE within 30 days of your arrival in Brazil.

I lost my old passport with the permanent visa a long time ago, now I travel only with the passport and the CIE ( RNE ) and never had any trouble . When I first applied for the permanent visa  I had the urge to travel outside Brazil with only the protocol and they gave me 90 days to come back , I stood more than that and the border police retrieved my protocol .  I had to do the paperwork all over again with only 27 days of tourist visa .

Am I missing anything? Am I supposed to have something in my passport showing a permanent visa? All I have is my CIE and my old tourist visa in my passport.

Hi Joe,

Yes, they should have stamped your passport "Registrado como Permanente". It's an ugly little stamp considering all the crap we have to go through it should be a gold embossed certificate. Problem is that without the stamp in your passport some airlines (not the Brazilian ones) will not let you board if your tourist visa is no longer valid.

You can take your passport and your CIE back to the Federal Police and just ask them to put that stamp in your passport. They should have no problems, if they object then insist. Make sure you're speaking to an Agent (see the badge) and not some know nothing civilian contracted employee.

Cheers,
James

I got the stamp, but it was a bit of a battle.

I went in and the lady talked for 10 minutes about how unnecessary the stamp was. She said that when I'm in Brazil, all I need is the CIE card. She couldn't understand that I may need the stamp outside of Brazil. She told me that I should have gotten a stamp when I first applied for the permanent residency. I told her that I know and understand that she thinks it's unnecessary, but I would still like the stamp for peace of mind. Then she said that they don't do the stamps for anyone anymore because that was for the old permanent visa procedures. There was nobody else in the room to talk to, so we left. We had to take care of couple things for my wife with her passport so we went to another room. When we finished with that, I told my wife that I want to speak with the lady again about the stamp for my passport. Thankfully there was one other federal police worker in the room and we explained the situation to her and she had no problem giving me the stamp.

Just goes to show you that they don't know their #@% from their elbow half the time. Glad you stuck with the advice I gave you and went back to see somebody else. Now you'll have no problems if you should leave the country. Good on you!!!

Cheers,
James

The funny thing is that my experiences at the Federal Police in Boa Vista have been great. To me they have been one of the most well run places that I've been to in Brazil. They are also pretty accessible. The longest I've ever waited was like 30 minutes. Apparently good experiences are unusual at the Federal Police and I had terrible experiences at the Federal Police in Manaus, but I like the place in Boa Vista. Today was a rare bad day there.

Thanks James for the valuable information.  Unfortunately, everything was in my briefcase (RNE, CPF cards), so I am getting my RNE card replaced.  I will also try and get the  "Registrado como Permanente".

Hi James,  everything was stolen in San Francisco, my RNE and CPF cards.  So all I had was a new blank US passport.  They said I needed a Tourist Visa to get on the plane and enter Brazil.  Once in Brazil, I could get a replacement RNE card.  At least now I have a 5 year Tourist Visa to use when I leave the country and return.  I will try and get a  "Registrado como Permanente" stamp as well.
Thanks again for all your help.
-carmen

Yes, you shouldn't have too much trouble replacing the CPF and the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro with just your name and date of birth, they'll be able to track them down without too many problems.

You will have to INSIST that the Policia Federal stamp your passport "Registrado como Permanente" some of them don't realize that airlines (not Brazilian carriers) don't understand what the Cédula is and often give permanent residents a great deal of hassles boarding their aircraft. The stamp plus Cédula prevents this from happening.

You will NOT be issued a new photo VISA as you obtained through the Consulado, the Consulado doesn't even re-issue them either.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi everyone on this forum

I registered my vitem xi with federal police in this month. But they didn't stamped my passport " registrado como permanente". They just gave me the protocolo to pick up CRNM after 2 or 3 month.

Is it really necessary stamped by federal police "registrado como permanente"? If yes then should i have to go back to federal police?

I don't believe that they're stamping passports anymore.  But you should ask when you go to pick up your CRNM.  No need to make a special trip.

Agree. They have not stamped my passport in a few years.
I did travel on my protocol and all I needed to get into BR a few years ago.

Thank you so much guys.

So my CRNM will be enough docoment to board a flight next time to come to brazil?  As James said (You will have to INSIST that the Policia Federal stamp your passport "Registrado como Permanente" some of them don't realize that airlines (not Brazilian carriers) don't understand what the Cédula is and often give permanent residents a great deal of hassles boarding their aircraft. The stamp plus Cédula prevents this from happening)

but now according to new law. I don't have to insist federal police to stamp my passport "registrado como permanente"?

Noman mughal wrote:

Thank you so much guys.

So my CRNM will be enough docoment to board a flight next time to come to brazil?  As James said (You will have to INSIST that the Policia Federal stamp your passport "Registrado como Permanente" some of them don't realize that airlines (not Brazilian carriers) don't understand what the Cédula is and often give permanent residents a great deal of hassles boarding their aircraft. The stamp plus Cédula prevents this from happening)

but now according to new law. I don't have to insist federal police to stamp my passport "registrado como permanente"?

Your circumstances really depend on the practice of your current carriers from Pakistan. If you want to avoid stress and delays, it behooves you to implement precautions against that. So be proactive and wise if they practice such procedures to ask a PF agent to stamp your passport "Registrado como Permanente" or equivalent. Explain it to the PF.

I have changed passports and I´ve been running around without the "Permanente" stamp. So I travel
with the RNE/CRNM card. However, one airline employee was with my RNE card for 15 minutes in the US trying to interpret the expiration date which is "Indeterminada." So that already indicates what could happen to you in Pakistan as you board your flight without the "Permanente" stamp - assuming
they practice said protocol.

robal

Hi robal

I'm so confused. As i don't know how i can explain to federal police in portuguese. Because my portuguese so limited. But i will try this to explain it to my wife. She can explain this to federal police for me. Because i know it will probably create problem for me in pakistan when i will come to brazil next time without permanente stamp

Noman mughal wrote:

Hi robal

I'm so confused. As i don't know how i can explain to federal police in portuguese. Because my portuguese so limited. But i will try this to explain it to my wife. She can explain this to federal police for me. Because i know it will probably create problem for me in pakistan when i will come to brazil next time without permanente stamp

If you're sure that the lack of a stamp will cause you difficulties in Pakistan,  you definitely should ask them to stamp your passport when you go back; your wife might explain the situation to them for you.  They may not even have the stamp anymore, since it's fallen out of use, but there may be some other way they can mark your passport.

Re: Registrado como Permanente stamp. I've never had this and have traveled between the USA and Brazil only with my RNE card and US passport. Never had an issue, for what it's worth.

Tim

So Is good to have all your documents scanned and in your cell phone, also printed copies in another place, just to have at least copies to proof that your documents are real. and with the numers is easier to find that the infor is true, RNE is not difficult to get  a second one,